1931 Bonnet Hinge Hold Downs; What do they look like?

JoelsBuicks

Can someone please send me pictures of the pieces that hold (fasten down) each end of the bonnet hinge?  My 1931 Series 60 was partially disassembled when I got it and these parts were missing.  

my pics show a little rusty piece that I think may be part of it.

Thank you!

-Joel

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6572.jpeg

IMG_6571.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

Unfortunaly, my car is covered for winter.  Ithink "32 is the same, or similar.  I will take some photos which might help you when I get a chance, uless someone respondsearlier. Are yours missing or just in a pile of "extra" parts.  They are just simple  brackets with countersunk holes for two screws each, to hold down to cowl and radiator shell. 

John 

19 hours ago, jscheib said:

Unfortunaly, my car is covered for winter.  Ithink "32 is the same, or similar.  I will take some photos which might help you when I get a chance, uless someone respondsearlier. Are yours missing or just in a pile of "extra" parts.  They are just simple  brackets with countersunk holes for two screws each, to hold down to cowl and radiator shell. 

John 

Thanks John.  I suspect you’re correct about 32 being like 31.  The loose small parts that I got with this car were in three coffee cans.  Still, so far I’ve been lucky and only a few parts are missing which include these.  The car, along with its pieces, had been moved twice when I bought it.

I am guessing that the bracket at the cowl end is painted and the one affixed to the grille shell is chrome?  I’m also guessing that they should look alike shapewise. 

maybe someone will chime in with a 31 pic.  

Thanks again,

Joel

Went through my photos of my '31 Series 80. This is the rear one. 

PXL_20201128_235530066.jpg.aea22afe072d346ab1245c17e2495743.jpg

PXL_20201128_235519228.jpg.5f75230e40505351044cb75ead97cfc8.jpg

I think I can say with some confidence that the screws are not original. In fact, I've since replaced them with stainless machine screws and nuts. Still a pain given the firewall insulation in the way.

I'll see if I can get photos of the front sometime. 

Oh wow!  There it is.  It won’t be too hard to make.  Now I’m guessing both are chrome plated.  

I’m really glad you mentioned the firewall pad.  I had planned on installing the bonnet as one of my final moves but that’s gonna get messy with the firewall pad in place.  I’ll have to rethink that.  You spared me a headache no doubt.

Thank you very much again and if you happen to notice that the other end is different, please let me know.  

Joel

1 hour ago, drovak said:

Dave, do you have the same steel plate that sits between the body and the hinge as Joel shows? I can't quite tell. Mine is missing that...

There are a couple features about that small steel plate that I felt were strong clues that it had something to do with this bracket.  First, the holes line up perfectly with those on the cowl.  Second, there are two embossed (raised) portions that would flank the hinge bar.  Beyond that, I don’t know that it belongs here.  Something that comes to mind is that maybe it’s a backing plate of sorts that actually goes on the nut side of this?

Dave, thank you for taking the time to get the pictures.  Maybe someone will read this and have a spare set! 🙄That’s a long shot.  With these pictures I should be able to come up with something very close and get them to the chromer.  (I have a good size box of all kinds of stuff for the chromer) $$.

Progress is slow as usual.

Thanks again!

IMG_6568.jpeg

• Like 3