73 GRAN SPORT 4 SPEED

gford

I RECENTLY ACQUIRED A 73 GRAN SPORT VIN # 4D37V3G109334. ACCORDING TO ALL THE LITERATURE I HAVE, THE V IN THE VIN MAKES IT A STAGE 1, HOWEVER, THE SAME INFORMATION THAT I HAVE SAYS THAT THE 73 STAGE 1 WAS NOT AVAILABLE WITH A 4 SPEED. SO FAR AS I KNOW, THIS CAR HAS ALWAYS BEEN A 4 SPEED AND THERE IS NO SIGN THAT IT WAS CONVERTED. CAN ANYBODY LEND ANYMORE INFORMATION TO THIS?<P>THANKS GARRY

Guest Shaffer

I just had my 73 Buick sales brochure out today and seen a 73 Gran Sport. Did not een realize they made them in 73 until today. I will look at it tomorrow and see what it says. Tony

Hi,<P>I have a 73 Century GS Stage 1 with a 4 speed. I have heard also the 4 speed was not a Stage 1 option (was optional with the GS however). Have heard anywhere from 7 to 25 of these were taken off the line and specially made. What shape is yours in ? Mine came pretty whupped when I got it - has been in storage the past 10 yrs after I had a new rear put on past the C pillar. Dummy me, before I realized the rarity of it, I put a new Hurst Street super shifter in it and cut out the stock shifter opening to accomodate the straight shifting linkage - am looking to see about making a pattern of an existing one - might you help out with this ? The 4 spds installed were the M-21's - and those I have talked to have had the same experience as me - they were real slush boxes and couldn't handle the extra HP from the Stage 1 option.<P>If you want to discuss it more, I'm at RES2897@aol.com

The rumor is that there were seven (7) '73 4-speeds, Stage 1s, but I've also heard there were more, considering there were only 678 Stage 1s altogther, that could be right. I haven't had a chance to look at the Buick Gallery and Research center at the Sloan Museum to see if they might have the "real" numbers, you might try contacting them, <A HREF="http://www.buickgallery.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.buickgallery.com</A> <BR>BTW, is the car you bought gold?

Hey! I appreciate all the replys.<P>Tony, while the 70-72 seem to be the most popular GS they certainly did make them beyond 72. Although, some might arguably not give them the same recognition as the earlier ones.<P>Buicknut, will email you when time permits.<P>Roberta, glad to have your input as you always seem very knowledgeable about Buicks.The car I have is blue not gold. Did you have a gold one? The Sloan Museum was very helpful to me in documenting a 70 Stage 1 that I intend to buy and in fact they supplied the NCPVIN (new car production VIN) which listed all options, invoice cost, color, (in and out) dealer # etc. I plan to do the same w/the 73. What I actually got from them was a copy of the order sheet that the original purchaser filled out when he bought the car. They have info on the earlier 1970 cars, no 71, and then 72 thru 81.<P>Grisby, good to hear from you again. If you knew me better it wouldn't surprise you that I bought a 73, but, there is a rather interesting story behind how I acquired this car. I will probably see you at the all GM show at Carlisle. Remind me to tell you the story.<P>Thanks to everyone for their input and as I get more info on the 73 I will post it on Here.<P>Garry

Guest grisby

Hi Garry, its Bill G, I met you at the Carlisle auto show a few times---now you are into 73's eh?? Yes they did make them. I had one back in 79 (not a Stage, just the plain 455) for about 6 months before my brother wrapped it around a telephone pole. Go to this link for more info.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.hu.mtu.edu/~ddcronkh/1973.html#455" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hu.mtu.edu/~ddcronkh/1973.html#455</A> <P>I hope this helps<BR>Maybe I will see you at the next show!!<BR>bill g<p>[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: grisby ]

How about going ahead an telling the story on how you got the car?also what kind of shape is your car in?I like the 73&74 gs cars but there are not many around;although I do have a 74 Century GS Stage1 auto trans

• 10 years later...
Guest buickapollo455

Looking for 73 GS floor 4 speed shift boot NON console car. need 6 x 6 boot, retainer, and floor seal. any help be great

GM 4.015

thx