1918 Buick Hubcaps needed - Trying again

DAVE A

Trying again to find hubcaps for my 1918 Buick Centerdoor 4 cylinder.   Here are pictures of the cap I need.   They are 2 7/8 diameter , aluminum, with the block print word Buick going from point to point in the Octagon on top.  Thanks to all who tried in the past.  I have purchased a number of similar caps but size always ended up wrong.   

20231211_131010.jpg

20231211_131004.jpg

Note, These are NOT the correct caps for your car.  As a reference they look close, but the BUICK on your correct caps go from corner to corner, not flat to flat like these. Easiest way to identify along with size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285607257844?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=0868cc2a52ea48b7874e9f9fc52e9642&bu=43186898688&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20231215070244&segname=11021

image.png.f92e1ea3916c0b53d05898842e745ef3.png

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

As Larry pointed out the BUICK goes from Point to point on my correct hubcap and is 2 7/8 in diameter.  The caps on e-bat are 2 1/2 and Buick goes flat to flat.   Close but no cigar!!    How do you solve this problem if caps can simply not be found?   

2 hours ago, DAVE A said:

How do you solve this problem if caps can simply not be found?   

Someone can cast reproductions using your good one as a sample. 

3D printing might be another option. Probably neither of these two ideas are going to be as cheap as finding some original ones. 

• Like 1

The first cap is the only cap that I know of that will fit on 1917 & 1918 E3x series vehicles and also the E-4 truck.

Those are the 4 cylinder Buicks for those two years.

Notice that the BUICK goes between the angle part of the cap on the left picture and not the flats on the second cap.

The correct cap is ALUMINUM.  Brass caps need not apply.

image.jpeg.95195d9f54d5a4a054c3f9f1a62c85b7.jpeg

Correct Cap 

<image.png.d2c820f06beea2ce3613981894658c46.png

Wrong Cap

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've been following this for a while and the question that I want to ask is this - what years and models used the Aluminum caps?  I could be wrong on this, but did the 6-Cylinder models use Aluminum caps?  Also, what year was the first for Aluminum caps?  Several years ago at Chickasha there was a fellow who had a set of 4 Buick Brass hubcaps that were absolutely mint condition.  I almost bought them but something just told me that they would not fit the 6-Cylinder hubs.  The fellow was asking $100.00 for the 4.  They were from the right era for my '16 because they had the block letters.  I believe 1923 was the first year that used the script style caps.  I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong on that.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Larry; 

I received the hubcap today.  Size is right, block letters in correct position, I think we have a winner. In rough shape but better than nothing.  Only difference is the center on this one is painted black.   I wonder if they used the same cap on other years?  Anyway, thanks for your expertise.  Still would take a few more if found!!

Dave

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 9:58 PM, DAVE A said:

Larry; 

I received the hubcap today.  Size is right, block letters in correct position, I think we have a winner. In rough shape but better than nothing.  Only difference is the center on this one is painted black.   I wonder if they used the same cap on other years?  Anyway, thanks for your expertise.  Still would take a few more if found!!

Dave

Dave,

You are welcome.  I would say that they are supposed to have the black background, but the black has worn off.  I would just repaint all of the caps with the background black.  Polish/fix first, the paint.

Larry

Thanks for the thought Grant and Leif.   Both of you have shown 6 cylinder hubcaps.  I think all of you may be correct that they were originally black in the center around the block letters BUICK.   On the 4 cylinder the word BUICK goes from angle to angle on the cap and is approx 2 3/4 in diameter on the round end (threaded on inside) .  On the 6 cylinder it goes from flat to flat and is larger.  BTW if anyone needs a set of 6 cylinder caps, I have 5 of them.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grant;

Again 6 cylinder caps.   The 4 cylinder are smaller (about 2 7/8" diameter) , made of aluminum , and the word Buick in block print go corner to corner instead of flat to flat like these.  Thanks for continuing to look!!

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have now secured enough hubcaps for my 1918.  Thanks to all of you who helped me find them.  They are at the metal polisher to put them in tip top shape.   I should even have a spare or two when I am done.  I also have a set of Brass 6 cylinder caps that I picked up on the way!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1