1917 Continental 7N Engine

Don Liepelt

A friend was cleaning out his dads shop and "found" this engine under the bench. He was going to take it to the scrap yard.

His dad had a 1917 Marion-Handley and had this engine as a spare, but it isn't the correct engine. I spent time looking through the Lester Steele Handbook. The 7N refers to a 224 cu in engine, but LSH didn't mention model designations until the early 20's. All the 224 cu in Continentals it shows indicate a removable cylinder head. This one has a blind jug. I know Continentals used in teens Overlands had open an flywheel. This one has an integral bell housing. It has a flywheel for a multiple disc clutch. The timing gear is out of the engine and damaged.

So, what does it fit. I don't need it and want to find the person who does.

Serial Number# 7N 21196

Date: 4-8-17

Don Liepelt

Madison, CT

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

• Like 1

It would make a good spare engine for my 1915 Russell (Canadian) so I want it.  But I'm on the other side of the continent - would someone be able to strap it to a pallet and get it to a shipper?  

Do you happen to know if it's seized or free?

Peter Findlay

Burnaby, BC, Canada

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Don Liepelt said:

A friend was cleaning out his dads shop and "found" this engine under the bench. He was going to take it to the scrap yard.

His dad had a 1917 Marion-Handley and had this engine as a spare, but it isn't the correct engine. I spent time looking through the Lester Steele Handbook. The 7N refers to a 224 cu in engine, but LSH didn't mention model designations until the early 20's. All the 224 cu in Continentals it shows indicate a removable cylinder head. This one has a blind jug. I know Continentals used in teens Overlands had open an flywheel. This one has an integral bell housing. It has a flywheel for a multiple disc clutch. The timing gear is out of the engine and damaged.

So, what does it fit. I don't need it and want to find the person who does.

Serial Number# 7N 21196

Date: 4-8-17

Don Liepelt

Madison, CT

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

Hi Don,I have two 1915 Marion transmissions,two sets of axles,radiator and shell,steering column,spare carrier,just need an engine. I PM'd you early this morning when I first saw this,I would also like to have it. Steve G. Cheyenne