Chandler 65

chandler65

Good day, not long before i got my hands on a Chandler 65, Every dashboard meter is missing. And the carburetor is also missing. My question is what type of carburetor did the car originally had? 

Another question, did  the water pump was lubricated? Im preparing to disassemble the engine, i accept any good tips about the car. Thanks for replying!

Paul

The 1928 and 1929 Chandler model 65 (domestic) used a Tillotson type SP-20A.

The 1928 and 1929 Chandler model 65 (export) used a Tillotson type SP-20AF.

Good luck on ever even seeing one that is cracked to pieces from age; and don't even think about finding an original one that is usable in our solar system.

EDIT: If you had looked under the car where it was stored, you might have found a pile of gray dust and fragments that once were the carburetor. Have seen a number of zinc alloy carbs in this time period that simply self-destructed because of the inferior zinc alloy metal. If you plan to drive the car, you might consider looking for a replacement carb. The only period replacement I can find is the Carter 245s which is an excellent carb. This post is not an advertisement, I don't have one.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 1:19 AM, chandler65 said:

Good day, not long before i got my hands on a Chandler 65, Every dashboard meter is missing. And the carburetor is also missing. My question is what type of carburetor did the car originally had? 

Another question, did  the water pump was lubricated? Im preparing to disassemble the engine, i accept any good tips about the car. Thanks for replying!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on your Chandler 65 acquisition. If the serial number is C45,001 or higher it is from the model year 1929, last year of production. We have a Chandler-Cleveland club that will help you with questions and get you in touch with others with a similar model. Also note there is a separate category down the forum list reserved for discussions like this:

Chandler-Cleveland. While there is limited traffic there I wanted you to know there is more help out there.

I would love to learn more about what you have and help you. I manage the Chandler-Cleveland registry and would like to see if your car is in my list or if this is a new addition.

On 11/22/2023 at 4:30 AM, carbking said:

The 1928 and 1929 Chandler model 65 (domestic) used a Tillotson type SP-20A.

The 1928 and 1929 Chandler model 65 (export) used a Tillotson type SP-20AF.

Good luck on ever even seeing one that is cracked to pieces from age; and don't even think about finding an original one that is usable in our solar system.

EDIT: If you had looked under the car where it was stored, you might have found a pile of gray dust and fragments that once were the carburetor. Have seen a number of zinc alloy carbs in this time period that simply self-destructed because of the inferior zinc alloy metal. If you plan to drive the car, you might consider looking for a replacement carb. The only period replacement I can find is the Carter 245s which is an excellent carb. This post is not an advertisement, I don't have one.

Jon

Jon thanks as always for adding in your information about carb selection. I am so grateful that you are willing to share your knowledge with us. I'll have to look for a Carter 245s for my own Chandler 65.

While engines are the same from '28 to '29 there are many styling differences between the two model years.

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the answers! Sorry for replying so late, i checked my Email but not the site. I am from Hungary, from 1928-1929 there was a Chandler dealership in Hungary.  Im currently restoring the engine of my car, but i dont find the engine number anywhere. I need to cast new pistons because they were in bad condition, the rest of the engine is fine. I have an original instruction book for Chandler Special Six. Does someone have a parts catalog? Its also good in PDF. Also i happily send it to anyone if needed in PDF. 

I'll send a picture of the advertisment of the Hungarian Chandler trade agency. And another picture of my car.

Thanks for all the info, Paul

1708526716285.jpg

Beérkező levelek (624) - konigswelle@gmail.com - Gmail - Google Chrome 2024. 02. 21. 15_55_00.png

• Like 6