OBD Scanner: Recommendations

Angelfish

I have a Launch CRP429c scanner that will do almost everything to diagnose the most common systems on most vehicles.

It's been used to diagnose various issues with everything from ABS to SRS systems.  I have even used it to program new key fobs to about a half dozen cars.

Launch CRP429c

One thing I have not tried yet is the ABS brake bleed function, but I will be trying that soon as I want to flush the brake fluid in one of my modern cars.

If your Yukon has the Autoride suspension, RPO Z55, then you will need a scanner that will do GM Tech2 communication.

That is my next scanner purchase as I recently acquired a 2011 Yukon Denali with the Z55 suspension and I want to be able to diagnose that system should anything pop up.

Normally, OBD II starts at 1997 and goes from there.  So to read the codes from most 1995 vehicles you will need an OBD I scanner with the manufacturer specific cable to read and reset the MIL or look at live data.

All OBD II vehicles have the same connector which makes it so much easier when going from one car to another.

BTW - the Launch is my third OBD scanner.  I started with an Actron OBD I / OBD II scanner then went to an Autel and now I have the Launch.  In between I had various Bluetooth adapters that connected to phone apps like Torque.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much anything on ebay or Amazon with good reviews will do the trick. I have generic scanner. If you get a Bluetooth scanner, you can read it from your phone. In that case, you want to get the app for reading the scanner. For that I use Torque (for Android). It allows me to read and reset my fault codes. The only thing I have never been able to find is something that allows me to access the Tire pressure monitoring system. 

Edit: One thing I didn't ask is what you intend to do with it. Zepher makes a good point about bleeding brakes. For myself, I only wanted access to fault codes. 

Regards,

Dan  

Edited by drhach (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, drhach said:

Pretty much anything on ebay or Amazon with good reviews will do the trick. I have generic scanner. If you get a Bluetooth scanner, you can read it from your phone. In that case, you want to get the app for reading the scanner. For that I use Torque (for Android). It allows me to read and reset my fault codes. The only thing I have never been able to find is something that allows me to access the Tire pressure monitoring system. 

Edit: One thing I didn't ask is what you intend to do with it. Zepher makes a good point about bleeding brakes. For myself, I only wanted access to fault codes. 

Regards,

Dan  

I've used my Launch scanner to do TPMS service.

Works very well, I even have one of the inexpensive tools that you place next to the valve stem to activate the TPMS sensor to correctly pair the sensor to the computer.

Edit: the TPMS remote tool is shown in the link I posted.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

OBD stands for onboard diagnostics.

Peter, Thank you for the clarification. I didn't have a clue. However, i am proud to say I just purchased one for me to  work on my cars. I haven't received it yet. It will be On Board, if the leads are long enough - I'll park it on the car seat. :)

Phil

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 8.50.19 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3