1923 series modified rear springs

I recently bought a 1923 series RHD Dodge from Australia. The rear springs have been modified from a ¾ elliptic to under-slung semi elliptic type. There is a 1 in brass disk riveted on top of each of the new rear dumb arms, they both have ? Henderson?s federal Springs? then ?Patent under slung Dodge no 17683?stamped on them and painted in red and black. Would anyone have any information about this conversion, was it a DB optional extra?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_RAH

Shooting,

Sorry to be so tardy with this response. I am not sure of the 'Federal Spring' logo. Here in Washington state resides a '22 touring with a conversion like you describe. I believe the owner said it was something made available for Dodge Brothers aftermarket rather than a 'Dodge Brothers accessory'. I believe his was by the Columbia Spring Works. I have JPG of the photos but are too large to attach here. If anyone wishes, leave me a note and I can send later. Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

I understand that Henderson's was an Australian spring manufacturer,I am trying to find out if they made springs for Dodge under licence. It would be interesting to know if the Colubia Spring Works converion has "patent under Slung Dodge no 17683"( dodge patent?) or somthing simular stamped on it. Given the major changes to the springs on the series 1926 and the accompanying advertising campaign ,I wonder if Dodge designed the converion (to be made under licence), to enable the remaining stocks of 3/4 elliptic spring cars, to be sold before the launch of the new Dodge.

I will post some photo's in a few day's time.

The body is all steel except for wood between the body and chassic :it was sold when new by Standard of Sydney