A604 question

shelbyone

precautionary question in terms of the A604 Transmission with updated sensors, solenoid pack, TCM, fluid and filter...

at 66k, I noticed slips ( if you can call it that) from 2nd to 3rd...maybe a dozen times within the last 5 months....so not severly...

WHICH parts would I need to rebuild my transmission? OR, should I go the Hemi way and find a PT Cruiser unit and transfer the internals to the TC transmission? ( and if so, WHICH PT Cruiser transmission will be compatible?! ) 

correct answers only...hehe...

Edited by shelbyone
addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shelbyone said:

precautionary question in terms of the A604 Transmission with updated sensors, solenoid pack, TCM, fluid and filter...

at 66k, I noticed slips ( if you can call it that) from 2nd to 3rd...maybe a dozen times within the last 5 months....so not severly...

WHICH parts would I need to rebuild my transmission? OR, should I go the Hemi way and find a PT Cruiser unit and transfer the internals to the TC transmission? ( and if so, WHICH PT Cruiser transmission will be compatible?! ) 

correct answers only...hehe...

To begin with, at a minimum, what they call a ‘Compliance Kit’ which consists of all the seals and  clutch discs.

If you have the original A604 in your TC, you could upgrade it with the internal hard parts [THE WORKS] from most any PT Cruiser, the most rugged being something like a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4L MFI Turbo DOHC.

When I had my shop, we searched for transaxles that had been in front-end accidents where the case had been cracked or broken, then you could get the transaxle as a core and cheap.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

here we go again....5 days ago on my way to get my oil changed, the Transmission got into "the funny" mode...great!...5 mile drive to the shop...was not able to pull over so kept on going...at a max of 30mph...1 mile before the shop, everything went back to normal....ever since then, no issue.... fluid is perfect ( changed, new filter, new TCM and solenoid pack in 2021.  no leaks...no noise...wondering, if it was a one time hickup...

also...other than the neutral switch/sensor, which other sensors do I have to replace? ( cant find anything in the factory repair book)  and what are the part numbers for them?   other than that, I am considering Hemi´s advice - looking for a PT cruizer trans....

Edited by shelbyone (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, shelbyone said:

here we go again....5 days ago on my way to get my oil changed, the Transmission got into "the funny" mode...great!...5 mile drive to the shop...was not able to pull over so kept on going...at a max of 30mph...1 mile before the shop, everything went back to normal....ever since then, no issue.... fluid is perfect ( changed, new filter, new TCM and solenoid pack in 2021.  no leaks...no noise...wondering, if it was a one time hickup...

also...other than the neutral switch/sensor, which other sensors do I have to replace? ( cant find anything in the factory repair book)  and what are the part numbers for them?   other than that, I am considering Hemi´s advice - looking for a PT cruizer trans....

Do you have any sort of diagnostic Scanner like the old Snap-On 2500 'Red Brick' as it use to be called? This thing can do a very thorough scanning of the A-604 on our TCs. That part number you see is the engine controller, the SBEC in this particular car. There is an adaptor to connect with the blue diagnostic connector behind the dashboard lower cover, below the steering column.

IMG_5425.jpeg.eb3c9f627e2595a8bf218b25a339d23f.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemi Dude said:

Do you have any sort of diagnostic Scanner like the old Snap-On 2500 'Red Brick' as it use to be called? This thing can do a very thorough scanning of the A-604 on our TCs. That part number you see is the engine controller, the SBEC in this particular car. There is an adaptor to connect with the blue diagnostic connector behind the dashboard lower cover, below the steering column.

IMG_5425.jpeg.eb3c9f627e2595a8bf218b25a339d23f.jpeg

Hey Hemi!...no, I dont have one....but looked it up on ebay...comes with all kinds of cartridges....the ones offered have all but chrysler vehicles...

will this thing be able to read the codes from the Transmission with its built in software as well?

Hey Hemi!...no, I dont have one....but looked it up on ebay...comes with all kinds of cartridges....the ones offered have all but chrysler vehicles...

will this thing be able to read the codes from the Transmission with its built in software as well?

You need these 2 cable adaptors for your TC and the pictured modules for the 89-91 TCIMG_5431.jpeg.cb1bc2f07b3b6e0d76dde3ab2a7b8605.jpeg  IMG_5432.jpeg.029e2298ce8d8f6cd17976301aafd5e6.jpeg  IMG_5433.jpeg.86fbe37c700ca75804f8b8ea60e8bc53.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hemi Dude said:

You need these 2 cable adaptors for your TC and the pictured modules for the 89-91 TCIMG_5431.jpeg.cb1bc2f07b3b6e0d76dde3ab2a7b8605.jpeg  IMG_5432.jpeg.029e2298ce8d8f6cd17976301aafd5e6.jpeg  IMG_5433.jpeg.86fbe37c700ca75804f8b8ea60e8bc53.jpeg

that is a lot of hardware to find and purchase....hunting now...

If someone used one of these scanners in an automotive repair shop, they would have all these components if they also updated the hardware as the years went by. I used this scanner from the time they came out until I retired in December 2011. I still use it today on my cars and any other domestic vehicle of that era.

Short answer to your question, YES this scanner reads trans trouble codes, clutch volume index which is really telling of the condition of all individual clutch conditions.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:42 AM, Hemi Dude said:

just found and bought the 2 adapters on ebay...now I still need the unit itself...