1932 Franklin Value

Akstraw

I looked at this car yesterday.  The owner inherited the car and has no interest in keeping it.  It is titled as a 1932 Franklin.  It looks 100% complete, but has been in indoor storage for thirty years.  It reportedly “ran when parked”.  The exterior appears solid with no rust, though the paint is badly cracked and crazed.  The seats appear to have been redone; the rest of the interior looks original.  All there, not torn up.  The body structure looks and feels solid with no signs of wood rot.  Engine compartment looks complete.  It probably has not been touched since parked.  Tires are rough as you might expect.  Owner wants to sell, but has no idea of the value.  What do you think?

If you happen to have interest in the car, PM me and I can put you in touch with the owner.

IMG_9206.jpeg

IMG_9205.jpeg

IMG_9204.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool car.  Tires do need to go either way.  The white/black is not the worst combination I have ever seen.

Non running cars are very tough.  I need a Franklin guy to tell me the model and the body.   If it is an "in the white" coachbuiler delivered body like Merrimac then I'm thinking a little more money.

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen, there is no better value (low selling price) for a CCCA classic than Franklins. Combine that with the positive reputation the Franklin club has with members and their Trek, and they have quite a bit going for them.  As for price........ not running and “the paint is badly cracked and crazed”..... in a 7 passenger style, closed car makes me think if the seller can get anyone to be remotely close to 10K with an offer, they should grab it.....assuming title isn’t a problem. 

32 means all steel frame, and an engine capable of highway speeds for touring. 

the color combination isn’t helping but it isn’t ghastly.  To professionally repaint it would mean you want to get the car for free. I don’t think this car freshly painted could sell for the price of the paint job. 

maybe $8,500?  I see Franklin’s in worse shape that people want 8 to 10 grand for. And two years later I still see the same car is being advertised because no one is biting at that number. 

my two cents.

• Like 6

I would contact someone in the Franklin Club and have them give you their thoughts.

I'll send a link to this thread to one of my uncles that is a die hard Franklin guy.

He would be able to identify model and anything that isn't correct, right away.

• Like 1

I don't think the paint colors are original, but good advice on contacting the Franklin club for help.  As is, it looks like $7-8k tops, with a good title.

Terry

• Like 3

Car is a 1932 Franklin Airman series 16a 5 passenger sedan. ( CCCA calls a  full classic as opposed to a 67% classic ? ) All lamps ( head,parking ) and the shell should all be chrome plated- $$$. Inside door handle on drivers door incorrect, missing crank hole cover, bottom corners of windshield frame rusted out ( typical) so new frame needed to be made. Rot? in lower bottom of doors was typical for these Walker bodied cars after 90 years. Seems to be complete and a great start but you will be investing a lot of $ in things you can't do or make like tires, the plating ( lock rings for wheels were plated originally) when in sound condition these are great long distance driving cars as 55 - 60 mph, great to steer ( if the steering box gears aren't worn) and ride.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Easiest thing to replace is the spark plugs - Champion D 16, they were ( still are?) used in fork lifts. Why do I remember all this stuff and can't remember what pills I have to take every day to remain vertical?

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

On 10/27/2023 at 10:14 AM, Akstraw said:

I looked at this car yesterday.  The owner inherited the car and has no interest in keeping it.  It is titled as a 1932 Franklin.  It looks 100% complete, but has been in indoor storage for thirty years.  It reportedly “ran when parked”.  The exterior appears solid with no rust, though the paint is badly cracked and crazed.  The seats appear to have been redone; the rest of the interior looks original.  All there, not torn up.  The body structure looks and feels solid with no signs of wood rot.  Engine compartment looks complete.  It probably has not been touched since parked.  Tires are rough as you might expect.  Owner wants to sell, but has no idea of the value.  What do you think?

If you happen to have interest in the car, PM me and I can put you in touch with the owner.

IMG_9206.jpeg

IMG_9205.jpeg

IMG_9204.jpeg

As far as "it ran when it was parked" so did the car in my picture.66Pontiacstationwagen.jpg.a0996f9a86314b3a87f87619e30a5964.jpg

• Haha 4

I agree with others. This is a $5000-8000 car. I own an identical Franklin and can say that it is well-worth pursuing. I purchased a "ran when parked 20 years ago" 1930 Franklin sedan in much better condition for $7,000 last year and felt that I paid a fair price. 

• Like 2

Yes, 32 Franklins are great drivers. I've worked on and driven many. Wife has one.

However, to add to the problems already pointed out, there are parts missing - from the engine, the headlight wire tubes, right side rear window crank. Something strange going on with water leaks above the rear window and rear curtain not parallel with window or headliner piping. Sitting 30 years the brake system will need major overhaul. Unknown what the engine will need with how it has been monkeyed with and let sit. By now it very likely needs all new wiring harnesses (Rhode Island Wire Service has them).

Could run into tens of thousands just to get it safely drivable and living with the paint and chrome as is.

I agree, $5000.00. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...