best sander for woodie refininshing

blind pew

I am at the stage of sanding my International woodie project. Mechanicals mostly done with just wiring/guages remaining and painting the cowl.

I was wondering what type of sander would be best. This will involve sanding the stripped and bleached framing as well as the newly created plywood panels. 

I haven't been thrilled with the cheaper palm sanders and want to get a sander that will create a better finish product as well as faster/easier to use. Everything is stripped and bleached with the exception of the interior roof slats, which are in good shape and remain in situ. 

Cost is not an issue. Thanks for any help!!!!

You're not going to like this....... The best sander....a nice flat piece of wood 2-3/4" wide as long as you want it to be, and roll(s) of PSA paper in whatever grits you will need. Buy the best paper you can get. Take care to sand with the grain and you will get a nice flat finish without the cloudy look that a random orbit sander will give you. This really should have been done before you bleached it, the bleach doesn't go very deep into the wood and if you sand through the bleached wood it will show. A gloss finish on something that was sanded with electricity is going to look like a bag of rocks compared to something that was blocked out by hand.

• Like 1

Well.............................. I guess I will just sand it by hand and bleach it again!

Thanks for the advice about avoiding the electric sanders! I've never liked the orbital sanders and thought there must be something better. Oh well........................... I'll have plenty of time to hand sand!

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Thanks!

Sounds like the hand sanding wins! Again, the idea was to take a lot of time with it as a project, so I don't have a strong incentive to do anything rapidly with it. I had to kind of get it running, braking, steering, shifting sooner to be able to move it easier. That is pretty much done and I just have finishing out the wood, gauges and electrical, and the top. I removed all the metal (except the cowl) body parts and sent them to a painter, so they are done. 

I can take as long as I want with every piece and just want it done properly. Oddly, the ash framing was in fantastic condition and only had to replace a few pieces.