1948 Chevy woodie

avasile

I just purchased a 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster  wagon and I am trying to find history on the vehicle. The car was purchased by Tom Arrington in 1997 from a George Coleman. Tom died 19 years ago and it was in storage until 2021. His wife has no history on the car. It was purchased as a restored car. Any information on the vehicle was misplaced. It was used as the subject car for the Maisto 1948 Chevy Woodie model. The car is Oxford maroon and is optioned with turn signals, overdrive, radio and rear heater. Tom lived in North Carolina, and I believe was a NWC member since there is a NWC sticker in the window. The serial number is 5FKJ46253. Any history that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Back around 1996-'97, there was a George Coleman, "Woodie" broker, that at one time operated a company called Green Valentine in Memphis. It didn't turn out well for both customers and Coleman.

Hello Avasile, unfortunately this National Woodie Club forum does not get much traffic. There is a Southeast Woodies chapter of the National Woodie Club. Contact info for the organizers are on the NWC website. I suggest you contact them with your questions. Local woodie owners in North Carolina will be most likely to know of Tom Arrington. 

Another method to try is to write/email a letter to the editor of the Woodie Times magazine with your question. (Roddy) would probably publish such a question and all members of the National Woodie Club will read it. 

I will send you a personal message with more info in it. 

Thanks for the responses. I now remember Green Valentine. I was a member of the NWC for 25 years until 2018. I will write a letter to the editor and hopefully it will be published. That was my plan originally until the forum popped up on the website.

• 4 weeks later...

George Coleman ran Green Valentine Autos, which sold woodies. George got into some financial difficulties in about 2001, where he had presumably sold some woodies and had not delivered the cars and/or did not send the money to the owners. 

I had actually bought a couple of woodies from George in the 90s and had no problems. He called me up in 2001 and was seeking a "loan" or "fronting" $300K for some woodie deals he was working on. Of course, I declined, as I would never make an unsecured loan.

There were some angry customers and woodie owners for whom he had brokered some woodie sales. Kind of a sad tale. He was always nice to me and I personally had no problems. 

Regarding the history of the vehicle, I guess I am a little ignorant here. I have run the VIN numbers on different cars and have been able to find several previous owners. Also with the VIN number, you should be able to tell where it was manufactured and contact GM to find the dealership the car was delivered to from the manufacturer. 

There is a National Motor Vehicle Title Information site that can help determining owners of the car. Also, as you know the previous owner is from North Carolina, contact the North Carolina DMV to find the previous owner(s). As much as everyone hates dealing with the DMV, they can be a wealth of information. This can lead you to a trail of different DMVs to find the chain of ownership in different states. 

Edited by blind pew (see edit history)

About 20 years ago I researched the history of my 1940 Lasalle woodie. The Department of Motor Vehicles of Missouri and Illinois were a dead end. I was looking at the 1940- c.1970 time period. I was told either the records didn't exist anymore or they could not release information to protect privacy. I think their records started in the computer age, c.1990's.