What was the ORIGINAL battery for a 65 Riv GS

ericisback

15 hours ago, ericisback said:

What battery was used from the factory for a 1965 Riv GS (425 ci engine)?  Does anyone have a photo of the battery they can post?  Was it the same battery used with a 401?  I can’t find a description of them anywhere. Thanks for any help!! 

Here is what is in the 1963 Chassis Manual. I would guess the same for 1965. I have used a battery dress up kit that you can use on any flat top battery. Stick on caps and decals. Very inexpensive. Just peel off the original stickers and put these on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312523457203?hash=item48c3d982b3:g:xxEAAOSwu-Fhf96E&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4DAX3hVrp2B%2FnmDWdDljLAlsV05cWG6rcfQ2EmJpA9PwfLIN5IFonIvg%2FmzMmj%2FzF5ue%2FXA6flaEE1VayluXBElEXQB1hlkpIMeXFFRy1NdiS7MFD%2FJB6i1SApN%2FtRrx8uq4npzkQtbcqfDalAcRDADOvql4LROMkXBVXxjTC71xcHEHy1RO%2BUiq%2F7XndTOJ8SNKnew1tQ%2BaCGtvZhBQ290nF1cb3Cuz7O8t8Zmayj0sFGCl9NLhSJg9eW3ifAZLbrHfihdXRZmYSG6RgnxpW646ioKdqavWpoK%2FJ7GZOgBQ|tkp%3ABk9SR8Tsr7LRYg

Bill

Riviera ROA Meet 2023.jpeg

20230912_154436.jpg

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Group 27. When installing, put the positive post closest to the radiator. Follow this schmatic for routing the positive cable between the hold down bolt and the battery.  The negative post goes next to the fender well so the ground wire can be connected to the regulator base.IMG_1229.jpeg.907f86399c27a1c9972e0a3e5fa9fbaa.jpeg

what color were the caps? Who made the battery?  Any photos online, etc?

11 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Nice, but those caps are not available for the Group 27 Delco batteries, just Autolite and Mopar.  I think the most popular ones are for Delco Group 59 and Group 24 batteries.

What color are the caps for the original group 27 battery. Also, did the front have a Delco sticker on it? Like the example above. Again, I’m trying to find out EXACTLY what the ORIGINAL battery looked like, including colors, manufacturer, decals, and color of caps.

The originals were group 27 tar top Delco batteries with

yellow caps with black delco letters on the caps. There were

no stickers on the batteries, but as I recall the Delco name was molded

into the plastic on the side of the battery. I believe you can spend a lot of money

for a repro tar top battery that will boil acid everywhere and ruin your battery box.....

but for 100's less you can buy a flat top 24 series battery from Oreilly's and put a

tar top battery topper with yellow caps on it. These toppers have the Delco lettering on the caps,

but for correctness you just take black paint and paint the raised letters on the caps black. With

this setup you will never have acid corrosion to deal with and when you need a new battery you just swap the topper over to the new battery. It's a no brainer.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Nice, but those caps are not available for the Group 27 Delco batteries, just Autolite and Mopar.  I think the most popular ones are for Delco Group 59 and Group 24 batteries.

My battery is a group 27. They can be used on any flat top battery as they are not a topper. They are individual stick on caps and decals.

Bill

Battery caps.jpg

Battery.jpg

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

The originals were group 27 tar top Delco batteries with

yellow caps with black delco letters on the caps. There were

no stickers on the batteries, but as I recall the Delco name was molded

into the plastic on the side of the battery. I believe you can spend a lot of money

for a repro tar top battery that will boil acid everywhere and ruin your battery box.....

but for 100's less you can buy a flat top 24 series battery from Oreilly's and put a

tar top battery topper with yellow caps on it. These toppers have the Delco lettering on the caps,

but for correctness you just take black paint and paint the raised letters on the caps black. With

this setup you will never have acid corrosion to deal with and when you need a new battery you just swap the topper over to the new battery. It's a no brainer.  

Great info!   Thanks so much!!!

51 minutes ago, gungeey said:

There's a picture of an original battery in your FSM.

10-6 Battery and cables

Screenshot_20230912_173602_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230912_172501_eBay.jpg

52 minutes ago, gungeey said:

There's a picture of an original battery in your FSM.

10-6 Battery and cables

Screenshot_20230912_173602_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230912_172501_eBay.jpg

Perfect, thanks!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, ericisback said:

Did Corvettes and Buicks use the same battery in 1965?

Yes, but the Corvette used a 24 series battery instead of a 27.

You can buy a tar top battery topper for a 24 series battery but not a 27, as the

the 27 is slightly longer. The 24 series tar topper is produced for the Corvette and GTO guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

My battery is a group 27. They can be used on any flat top battery as they are not a topper. They are individual stick on caps and decals.

Bill

Battery caps.jpg

Battery.jpg

The problem with these is that the top of a modern battery does not look like tar. The tar top

battery toppers actually look like an original tar top battery.

Group Size L x W x H (mm) L x W x H (inches)
24 260 x 173 x 225 10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 8 7/8
24F 273 x 173 x 229 10 3/4 x 6 13/16 x 9
24H 260 x 173 x 238 10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 9 3/8
24R 260 x 173 x 229 10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 9
24T 260 x 173 x 248 10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 9 3/4

Group Size L x W x H (mm) L x W x H (inches)
27 306 x 173 x 225 12 1/16 x 6 13/16 x 8 7/8
27F 318 x 173 x 227 12 1/2 x 6 13/16 x 8 15/16
27H 298 x 173 x 235 11 3/4 x 6 13/16 x 9 1/4

There are other differences besides dimensions.  

One thing that can be done to make installation easier is to install a Group 27F (F for Ford).  That places the positive post next to the radiator but the posts are are on the firewall side of the battery rather than on the grill side.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

The problem with these is that the top of a modern battery does not look like tar. The tar top

battery toppers actually look like an original tar top battery.

I was not worried about that. I just wanted an original look with minimal expense. Fake is fake either way.

Bill

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

367.00 plus tax and shipping.........Makes me really love my battery topper

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Makes me really love my battery topper

From a foot or two away, the one on my '64 GP is pretty convincing.  ;)  Even if not perfect, it does give the engine bay a more period-correct aura.  I liken it to putting YOM license plates on your classic car.

• Like 2

Another source for a "black battery" is Interstate.  They are in their catalog AND they supply them to several import brand dealerships as OEM batteries.  Toyota, Lexus, and Hyundai (for sure), plus some others I suspect.  Same batteries, just the labels are different for OEM warranty replacement issues.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Another source for a "black battery" is Interstate.  They are in their catalog AND they supply them to several import brand dealerships as OEM batteries.  Toyota, Lexus, and Hyundai (for sure), plus some others I suspect.  Same batteries, just the labels are different for OEM warranty replacement issues.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Got a Nissan Interstate in mine. Peeled the stickers off, so it shows well. Only made sense, seeing that I am a Nissan Parts Manager.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am hopefully getting the car out of hibernation this week. Getting the battery off the maintenance charger and ready to go. I wanted to throw this out there again as spring is here and cars are coming out of hibernation. This is a cheap way to dress your battery up and have it look more original. Mine is a group 27F from O'Reilly's with the stickers peeled off. Cap and sticker set from Weskar on e-bay. 

Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312523457203?itmmeta=01HWJQFEGR9836QB2BW9PE4GC2&hash=item48c3d982b3:g:xxEAAOSwu-Fhf96E&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwAKkLZz6MWdCMcGlEnrLld8o9gW4pfUjeXQAWtO15FX3qpdCf8Qlj%2FyaOgqE6m%2FhdXLJfYMYRnAuMXUD%2FuYGJcYIX5XjC7Q5LUTZ5GIe6vbSr7fGs6ydvg9oAaeoRVVu6bWPTvyJVy4wHL9pf5%2F6TIwo%2FWpXIWc6C%2Fj4jn70zXZ5RXtjb%2Fhllpt3cPLFdAm8SAHnrgt9lt5ypkeMSExPYHTwaQnE86D7Da66JMruMXGlorMYqQQXkXn10ncCO4ZNrA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8LovdfkYw

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

• Like 4

Just a heads up on battery prices currently. I had been using O'reilly flat top black batteries from Oreilly's for decades, but recently Oreilly's battery prices have gone to the moon. Recently I was

quoted 225.00 plus tax for a group 75 Oreilly's  battery with a two year warranty for my 95 Corvette. After much investigating and calling around, I found out that I could go down to the parts counter at my local GM dealer and buy a group 75 Delco with a 42 month warranty for 125.00 plus tax! Of course, that's what I have in my Corvette now, with appropriate repro stickers on the top that mimic a 95 model GM battery.

Winston is correct about battery prices. The battery I bought for my 1963 was in the $190 range after tax back in 2021. That was an eye opener for me back then as I had not purchased a battery in a while but, I had little choice as my battery died when I was coming back from a BCA event in St. Louis before I got home. I discussed this with the mechanic that works on my car and he confirmed that battery prices had been taking a big jump. In the last month I bought a new battery for my truck and it was $227. Also, as Winston stated warranties on these batteries are no longer close to the length they used to be. I am sure there are exceptions but, this is the trend. Spend more, get less.

Bill