For Sale: 1956 GMC Dayton Brown Van near Dover, DE $29,500 REDUCED $21,500.

For sale on Facebook: 1956 GMC Dayton Brown van in Camden-Wyoming, DE - $29,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information. ***Noticed this was reduced to $21,500***

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/267463969512048/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

Seller's Description:

Hi I'm putting my 1956 DAYTON BROWN up for sale. It has the original drivetrain with only 24,300 miles total and runs very well and it doesn't just sit in a garage. I drive it everywhere. Has a 270 GMC inline 6 cylinder with a Hydromatic transmission. 29,500 or best offer or maybe trades welcome. 1302 222 0202 thanks Rob.

DB1.jpg

DB2.jpg

DB3.jpg

DB4.jpg

DB5.jpg

Edited by Bryan G
Updated pricing (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Cool van, would love to know the story behind this thing. If the mileage is original that would be crazy, as I would think originally this would have been some kind of a service/delivery truck. I would think it would have a million miles! Probably the only one left at least in this condition. To me this is def a case of rarity does not equal value. 10k would be the most I would spend on something like this, but I dont have a soft spot for big ole trucks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TerryB said:

Dayton T Brown was building truck bodies in NY state starting in 1954 until around 1960 from what the internet has to offer.  Certainly a rare item.

Thanks for the explanation, Terry.  I recognize now

that this is from a truck-body company and not a

General Motors factory body.  

Is it essentially a shortened bus body?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Thanks for the explanation, Terry.  I recognize now

that this is from a truck-body company and not a

General Motors factory body.  

Is it essentially a shortened bus body?

Couldn’t find much detailed information.  Seems the truck body business was sold to someone more involved in that type of business.  Sure looks like bus styled parts were used.

It just doesn't look like something a person would want to drive everywhere. Thirsty, underpowered, uncomfortable, hard to park or even maneuver around. It must get awfully hot in there in the summertime.  $29.5K and it's time for a new paint job. I'm just not seeing the attraction to it. 

• Like 1

It's kind of a shame that most of the things you could do with it would require some cutting-up. A food truck seems most natural, or a small RV. But, just on the show circuit, it would always garner a lot of attention. I agree, that price will likely need to creep down quite a bit...then again, if the right person sees it? 

The more that I look at this truck, it looks like it could be use for parcel delivery, as the UPS trucks are. Sliding doors and the spartan seat (only one) and the back are for goods. The back seat does not look like it is original to the truck. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

• Bryan G changed the title to For Sale: 1956 GMC Dayton Brown Van near Dover, DE $29,500 REDUCED $21,500.