1928 Brake reservoir

I'm after as much information about a brake system used on a 1928 Triumph Fifteen.

It has been fitted with a chrysler brake system made by Wagner/Lockheed, which is now unfortunately starting to go wrong.

It is one of the first four wheel hydraulic brake systems made (if not THE first).

The main brake reservoir has a pump on the top to pressure up the brakes, the pump goes down to a small tip which in turn fits into a seal. When the brakes are applied the pressure builds up against this seal and gradualy lock on during normal driving.

What I'm after is any information about wether or not there are any manuals around for this system or if any spare parts exist? Does anyone recognise what the hell I'm on about?!

Please help me to repair/replace this ageing car.

Tim Cooke

United Kingdom

Tim,

Does this have the external band brakes on the wheels or the internal bands? (Internal are like modern drums, the external have brake bands which compress on the outside of the drum rather than which expand to press against the internal drums).

I have some limited period service information, if I have what you need I'll be happy to scan and post it.

Rich

Rich,

They have the external brake calipers on them that compress the drum. Its these that keep tightening up during driving - a small spanner is kept in the car to loosen them off when its thought its needed!

If you can scan any info I'd be very grateful. My email is - skydiveuwe@hotmail.com if you want to email it over.

Thanks once again

Tim

• 2 years later...
Guest antiquepa

tim the resivore on top is used to bleed the brakes the same way as you would using the brake pedal. u loosen up the pump by turning counter clockwise, pump handle and tighten back down and bleed the 1st wheel futherest from master cyl. repete untill all 4 wheels are bled. i have the ownersmanuel on the 28 that i own, if needed i can copy the pages and send to you. antiquepa my e-mail address is miklassr8@msn.com

Tim, My 26 Wills Ste Claire has this same lockheed brake system. The owners manual warns of over heated brakes, The plunger in the res. is to set pressure cold. For my Wills, I pump three time, not allowing the seal to come out of the cyl. then screw it tight. Pedal is a little soft cold, but as soon as you get it warm, stops great. The book tells you how you may have to stop and start over if you put too much pressure in cold. You do not want to be backing the shoes off at the band nuts, but reduce the volume of fluid in the system. Karl

Tim...I have a 1928 Chrysler "72", this vehicle has Warner Lockheed hydraulic brakes just like the ones on your car. The Chrysler Historical Data Collection can supply you with an owner's manual for my car. This gives a description of how these brakes work and how to adjust them. As with all hydraulic systems, the brakes should be properly bled and free from leaks at the wheel and master cylinders. There may be some technical/service manuals out there that Warner/Lockheed issued in their day; however, I am not aware of any. Chrysler did not have "service" manuals for their cars at this period.