Modern fuel sending unit replacement for mid 30’s GM?

TimFX

Looking for a modern replacement for my 1935 Oldsmobiles fuel sending unit. 

Ive emailed the major suppliers and no one seems to know (fusick, Kanter, ect)

Here is the one i pulled out of the tank

2.5” dia top flange with 5 screw holes 

4.5” from flange to cog mechanism 

Thanks!

49DBA1BD-B24E-48D5-A055-E75E44ED5277.jpeg

B22D6EB4-33A5-41FE-89AC-E4A033A0F84E.jpeg

EBD37B7E-597B-4ECC-8281-F3C08A21696D.jpeg

I suggest sending it to someone and getting it rebuilt. I don't know names, but there are places you can send one. Someone in here will know. You could also probably use one of the Bobs Automobilia universal replacements for Buick. Having rebuilt some originals sender like this myself years ago, there was some messing around getting the arm and float right, as I had no frame of reference, but at least it started out right in the 30s and the arm was the right length and went in the right direction. A not-quite-right universal replacement though sounds like a couple days of screwing around with the tank on the ground. a multimeter, and some liquid.

Either way, with a rebuilt unit or a universal one, you need 0 ohms empty (which is impossible but less than an ohm should be OK), 30 ohms full (tank upside down is a way to check), the float not hitting the top or bottom of the tank, and the fuel pickup low enough that the sender hits 0 ohms before the fuel pickup starts sucking air. Modern replacements won't have a brake so the needle will wave around with gas sloshing a bit more than it did in 1935. Good luck whatever way you go.

• Like 2

GM used 0-30 ohm fuel senders through the 1964 model year. 1965-up GM (at least until EFI) senders are 0-90 ohms. Of course newer senders may or may not have the correct float arm configuration, and likely won't have the correct fuel line fittings. Rebuilding your original is the only way to get a drop-in replacement that doesn't require re-engineering.

• Like 1

Just now, TimFX said:

What is this all about?

They offer rebuild services for fuel tank sending units amongst many other items.  Sorry for the lack of context in the link alone.

• Like 2

The name is strange “KM  Lifestyle” But he does excellent work restoring fuel sending units. 
I have had several done including a 1929 Cadillac that had decomposing pot metal gears that he replaced with new brass. 
check out the website. 

• Like 3

Hi Tim, I have an original fuel sending unit that looks in good shape ( I have not tested it ) . . . .  There is a number on it - #81810 . . . . not sure if it will help or not . . . . if you have an interest send me a PM and we can work on getting it to you for a good price . . . . here are a few pics . . . . Joe 

Fuel Sending unit 1.jpg

Fuel sending unit 2.jpg

Fuel sending unit 3.jpg

• Like 3

I bought a sender for our 34 Buick on Amazon. Direct fit, from a modern boat tank. It had a vertical shaft with a float  that slid up and down in it. Only difference was it was not vented. It was less than 30 bucks. Sure looks the same from the Buick to your Olds.

• Like 2