2023 Pebble Beach Trip- 21 days of car overload.

edinmass

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

If you just knew Ed from this forum you might mistake him for an idiot savant.  He actually has an intellect and broader set of interests than cars.  Walking through the National Art Gallery with him was amazing.   

Having talked to Ed at length a couple times on the phone, I have no doubt you are 100% correct. 

• Haha 1

"I don't always drive antique cars, but when I do, they're not floor sweepings"

"I don't always drive a Duesenberg, but when I do, it's a model J"

"I don't always drink liquor, but when I do, it's Crown Apple"

"I don't always visit art museums, but when I do, I make sure there are statues of naked women"

Can someone please photoshop Ed's head on the photo above?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Lunch at the Peterson Museum. Photos to follow.  Lots of Volkswagens here as they have a special display dedicated to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

If you just knew Ed from this forum you might mistake him for an idiot savant.  He actually has an intellect and broader set of interests than cars.  Walking through the National Art Gallery with him was amazing.   

He makes up about 1/3 of it, but that's part of the excitement.

• Haha 2

Lunch in West Hollywood, with Rick James singing, super freak in the background.  I am out of my element. I am a living, breathing, walking dinosaur. I have never felt this old in my life. The only highlight of this area is half the young ladies are running around 3/4 naked. And fortunately most of them are built accordingly. You don’t want to see photos of the ones that make you wish you were blind from birth. 

CC504DF1-1536-4EA4-A8A4-46070AC3AF93.jpeg

D0B273C3-743F-4CFA-90E8-4305255A5139.jpeg

2B1546CF-0024-4E10-BFEF-508D6D415F34.jpeg

8E874D6B-B10F-48EB-9F9E-BA70C4D4D5DA.jpeg

06E88A4F-E70F-4B8E-9A55-93C771782505.jpeg

692A6018-D7F7-4849-82F5-31CB9BCD56AF.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

That looks good and all, but I think I would have asked them when they were finished with the art project to bring me a burger!

West Hollywood doesn’t have meat on the menus at any of the restaurants. Synthetic plant mulch pretending to be meat, yes. 

I would post more comments and photos of “people“  walking down the street, but the moderators would intervene. 

The 26 dollar cup of coffee as five times bigger and ten bucks cheaper then Villa d’Est Concours espresso. 

The ladies room here has a urinal in it. Now I have seen everything. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Lunch in West Hollywood, with Rick James singing, super freak in the background.  I am out of my element. I am a living, breathing, walking dinosaur. I have never felt this old in my life. The only highlight of this area is half the young ladies are running around 3/4 naked. And fortunately most of them are built accordingly. You don’t want to see photos of the ones that make you wish you were blind from birth. 

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Expand  

Almost seems like New Orleans,

Frou Frou du Jour .... 

Artsy Fartsy menu ....

Decorate the plate,

serve 25% portion size,

and move the decimal point to the right -

WE see it in the "touristy" places here, as well.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

I am a living, breathing, walking dinosaur.

We need to start a region or chapter of AACA that has members who fit that description - I will be honored to be a member of that if it starts and edit ( when I feel like it) a lavish half page journal/newsletter/magazine that will have a period picture of a vehicle with a Zigfeld follies gal next to it, or on it, or near it  ( taken then not now if she is still vertical) Betty Boop will be the first, then followed by Miss Crabtree of Our Gang movies. Dues have to be paid in Buffalo head nickels .

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

West Hollywood doesn’t have meat on the menus at any of the restaurants. Synthetic plant mulch pretending to be meat, yes. 

I would post more comments and photos of “people“  walking down the street, but the moderators would intervene. 

The 26 dollar cup of coffee as five times bigger and ten bucks cheaper then Villa d’Est Concours espresso. 

The ladies room here has a urinal in it. Now I have seen everything. 

Sometimes the moderators intervening on posting pictures would be a good thing. Last time me and Katie were walking down a beach in California, we seen off in the distance a bronze goddess with long blond hair laying on the beach total Baywatch style, and as we got closer this person turned over and it was a dude wearing a thong banana hammock. We still laugh about that story because we don’t see that in the Midwest.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ed:

Your antidote for all that nouvelle cuisine might be found here:

greasy spoon diners near west hollywood ca - Google Search

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well is the last upload for this thread. 

There’s about five more museums of art that we visited as well as some other collections in the San Marino area that didn’t allow photos but this should be a good final bunch.

IMG_2736.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2740.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

IMG_2742.jpeg

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2744.jpeg

IMG_2745.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Jay and his mechanic stopped by the show. Had a nice chat with him. He’s just a normal car guy but unfortunately at events he tends to get mobbed. I never do selfies with famous people as I feel it’s poor taste. Took this photo as he was walking around. This is my final posting of photos here, any questions please ask. I will be traveling home the next 24 hours.  Best, Ed

IMG_2833.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I believe it’s a Lincoln and I’m not sure if I have any other photos but I’ll ask a few friends if they have them I will post it. It was a very nice car. It had the look.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

I never do selfies with famous people as I feel it’s poor taste.

I generally agree with you here. However, one of my longest time best friends has one of the best "selfies" ever of himself and Jay Leno! It has a good story behind it.

"My friend" worked most of his adult life as you do, somewhat managing a private collection. In addition to the one collection he worked for for many years, he consulted for several major collectors on purchases and restorations. He was a master painter and great detailer of older restorations making them sharper than they had ever been. He managed several full restorations for a few collectors, several of his cars being shown at Pebble Beach. He was also, a darn good early automobile mechanic.

So quite a few years ago, he was in Monterey, doing his thing with several collectors, helping with the showing of a couple cars, drove one on the preshow tour. That same week of course was the Laguna Seca Historic Car Races (which a few friends sometimes participate in!).

For those not familiar with them, there are a lot of cars from the early days through prewar and post war eras. Practice runs are needed, numerous vehicle classes racing against like cars, and limited track time and space. The whole thing is very well organized and runs on a very tight schedule!

A friend, well known to many was there with an incredible prewar (1910s!) racing car! (A Fiat if I recall correctly?) As luck would have it, about an hour before his scheduled track time, something in the valve train broke! My friend was wandering around chatting with the many people he knows, looking at all the cars in the parking area and the pits, when a few mutual friends go running to him calling his name "You gotta come over (so-n-so) broke down!" Turns out, my friend had recently repaired a similar engine a few months before, and therefore had an idea how to fix it. Some bits and pieces were quickly scrounged up (as I recall, a valve spring had to be made to fit well enough to work?). The clock is ticking away, he is working feverishly trying to fit in an incorrect valve spring that doesn't quite fit, and make adjustments to the mechanism.

"Hey! You gotta stand up and turn around!"

"I can't stand up and turn around, I almost have this spring in place!"

"No, you gotta stand up and turn around!"

"No! I have to get this push rod lined up!" 

"STAND UP and TURN AROUND!"

"Cussing"

Cameras click.

Long story short. He got the car running in time, and it completed the runs to the enjoyment of thousands (?) of people watching!

And shortly after, the questions began. "Did you get to talk to Jay Leno?"

"No, was he here?"

"He was standing right next to you!"

"Well, I didn't see him"

About a week later, his boss handed him a small package. "Jay sent this for you!" It was a framed closeup photo of my friend and Jay side by side with the open hood of the race car behind them!

• Like 6