2023 Pebble Beach Trip- 21 days of car overload.

edinmass

It’s a long crazy day and I’m still on the field. 

We managed a pretty nice trophy.

Best Rolls Royce. Fun day on the green. 

451A260E-785D-41B1-9797-D3F747697551.jpeg

C2AA8E5F-D18B-4627-916D-8B8158D42468.jpeg

D4D8E76D-FE10-4649-A6CD-9507E661792E.jpeg

059AA627-BD59-4F83-BA62-1DE5821003DE.jpeg

A2AAE79D-C42B-4A5F-9CF0-606A13B5888F.jpeg

B8D64E2F-1749-4698-B176-1A8F754651DC.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

Don’t kno how many fans of early Porsches there are here, but I’ve never seen a Gmund coupe this close up (one of the first 50 or so of the make).

I may make it known often that I begin losing interest in collector cars after around the late 1920s? And I have commented several times that I much prefer the Duesenberg model "A" over anything in the "J" series! However, even I do appreciate significant landmark models of popular cars throughout automotive history. So, in spite of the fact I will likely never own any Porsche (although I am sure I would enjoy driving one if I had one?), mainly because I would never spend that much money for a car I don't really want? I do find that car interesting to look at and do appreciate its significance.

Thank you for posting those photos!  Also thank you for posting the other semi-modern collector car (1930s!) photos from Pebble.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I may make it known often that I begin losing interest in collector cars after around the late 1920s? And I have commented several times that I much prefer the Duesenberg model "A" over anything in the "J" series! However, even I do appreciate significant landmark models of popular cars throughout automotive history. So, in spite of the fact I will likely never own any Porsche (although I am sure I would enjoy driving one if I had one?), mainly because I would never spend that much money for a car I don't really want? I do find that car interesting to look at and do appreciate its significance.

Thank you for posting those photos!  Also thank you for posting the other semi-modern collector car (1930s!) photos from Pebble.

Being a Porsche fan, for me a Gmund coupe is a treat to see; about 30 are left of the 50 or so made. It's instantly recognizable as a Porsche, with several design elements that have stayed with the marque for almost 75 years. Really cool to see.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the nice thoughts. I would say the level of cars this year was higher than I ever have seen before. It’s hard to describe the insane level of stuff there. Want to see 30 Mercedes pre war best of the best……just look at the two classes, the Fagoni display……..over the top. Big brass, post war Italian stuff………..endless. As usual there were ten to fifteen cars you have never seen before, 50’s dream cars and prototypes. Walking around you just casually walk past cars that could win best of show almost anywhere. Example……..a V-16 Cadillac is like a Toyota Prius and seems almost common and expected. The crowd seemed the heaviest of the last decade. I do sense slight and subtle changes. Nothing negative in the sense of a downhill slide or lessening of the event……….but an evolution with more modern manufacturers looking to get their product placement in the public eye. I guess the term more commercial and less “old school” car show. Had a handful of people come up to me from the forum and say hello…….always a highlight of my day. Unfortunately while on the field I’m working and my time is limited to chat, so if I seemed rushed or occupied please remember we all have a boss and commitments to keep. It’s a high pressure day when your competing on the 18th green. My day started at 3:30 am and I got back to my room at 7:15, with no food or bathroom breaks……..pushed through the whole day just on fluids. Typical big show standing by our car for hours on end. I will say the day went by so fast it was head spinning. From the time I finished wiping down the car after we placed it, I blinked my eyes and it was 2pm and cars were going over the ramp. It literally went by in a flash. Thanks to all for posting photos……..and I am still on the road for 10 days to attend another Concours. I will continue to post photos of collections that allow them along the way. The storm and quake in SoCal will alter plans for the next 48 hours. Best, Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

And for us that don’t know, what is this and why might it be the most valuable car in the world? Appreciate your comments!!

Interesting……..that car wouldn’t be my pick for that category. I have no skin in the game for most valuable car in the world, just take a look at my Model T. I’m fairly certain it’s impossible to declare any one particular car the most valuable, only because of the pre war/post war category. Also fake numbers being tossed around in what May or may not be a true transaction. My guess right now is the late Alfa’s are the top of the market in terms of real money……IE true numbers refused for the cars. I have heard of substantiated offers on a particular car in the 90’s. Who knows……once a car is valued over 10 million the total net worth of the purchaser is so big that the cars value is a rounding error on their balance sheet. Prices at the auctions this year reflected two things……..condition- many of the “low” numbers were related to cosmetic condition that wasn’t readily seen in photos…….very common. Also, this year its obvious provenance is still driving the best cars. Photos and history from new are almost a requirement today to get all the money for a car. Any black mark on a history in print or rumor mail cut it off at the knees. I only saw three or four bargains at the auctions this year……..prices accurately represented what was offered. I did miss one car that I would have gladly paid for and taken home……….and I considered it a steal. The yellow Loco at Gooding’s. 

16 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

Ed,

it’s freak’n 4:15 out there!! When do you sleep? Or are you still dreaming of trophies and shiny cars?

Loading out the truck for LA, and catching up on emails and calls. Believe it or not, collection manager is actually a job description. Lots of perks and benefits………..and a few downsides. At Pebble there are no regular hours or mandatory breaks while working. Pursuing excellence is a 24 hour endeavor. Fact is it will be 60-80 hour weeks from now till late October. I can’t complain…….if you saw my itinerary you wouldn’t feel sorry for me. 

• Like 1

I've enjoyed following this thread, especially when one of "our own" was in the hunt, congrats edinmass for your team's well deserved win. I also watched some of the live stream, amazing cars. I think of the cars in 2 categories equivalent to Cabin Cruisers and Speedboats. The Cabin Cruisers are and were meant to be large, luxurious, expensive, superlatively detailed and maintained, and clearly with snob/money appeal. The Speedboats on the other hand were for racing and handling the water conditions, with few creature comforts, but lots of pure engineering and attention to purpose. The latter are by far my preference. Of the 4 finalists (2 Mercedes, a Delahaye and an Alfa Romeo Roadster), the Alfa was my choice. I often think there should be 2 BOS, one for the yachts, one for the road cars/racers, though to pick between the 2, the nature of the judging panel likely makes the difference.

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed, A.J., 1935Packard et al, thanks for taking us along for the ride, giving us a glimpse at this automotive art gallery Brigadoon.

X2 -Thanks for letting me come along for the ride!!

• Like 3