2023 Pebble Beach Trip- 21 days of car overload.

edinmass

We’re off on the tour……60 miles of slow rolling traffic jams with car owners who don’t know how to drive. While some may think Pebble is all flash and glory, much of it is hanging around waiting, and then shear terror when someone almost crashes into you. The stories are endless. Weather is nice but foggy.  

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Really neat to see Locomobile Old 16 at the concours. Absolutely wonderful. Last time I saw it in person was in 1988 when The Long Island Old Car Club of the NY Region VMCCA had an anniversary run/tour/dinner to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the 1908 race where Old 16 won. Austin Clark and I and two couples planned the event. Jerry Helck brought Old 16 to the event from his home in NJ. We had 100 cars attend this driving tour over the original route the race used on public roads. Newest car was a 1938  Packard convertible coupe.  Many people dressed in the period era correct clothes of the car they were riding in. Here is a photo from that celebration - Jerry behind the wheel , me in the riding mechanic seat. Yes, I got a ride in that car. I treasure the memory . Joe Puleo was there too in his old car as well.

1988old16002.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Ed, I don't doubt what you're saying is true, BUT, I'm sitting here at work in front of my computer and would happily trade places..............................

Don't you need someone in your entourage to hand you tools, pour your crown, keep riff-raff away and maybe slug the dork that runs into you?

Edited by pkhammer
bad wording (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Have that issue covered, and lots of volunteers……….it’s not all glamour!

Contrary to popular rumors, I actually do work,

IMG_0789.jpeg

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Interesting. The story was that this car would never run again under the current curatorship. Do you know if they plan to start it up?

I saw this car being driven during the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village. It seems like it just a year or two ago but really was probably more like 15-20 years ago. It was a phenomenal sight to see and a thrill to hear. 

thanks to all who are sharing the photos with us. Really appreciate it.

As mentioned those who have been fortunate enough to hear the roar of the engine in Old 16 is something you never forget. Also the flames coming out the tips of the exhaust pipe that are right there at the side of the hood . It is why we love history and old cars.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Ed, I don't doubt what you're saying is true, BUT, I'm sitting here at work in front of my computer and would happily trade places..............................

Don't you need someone in your entourage to hand you tools, pour your crown, keep riff-raff away and maybe slug the dork that runs into you?

Here are some better photos that were not staged.

IMG_8662.jpeg

IMG_8661.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

Contrary to popular rumors, I actually do work,

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Here are some better photos that were not staged.

Very nicely done!  A fun post.

I guess being a Duesenberg has its merits, but if I am spending a million on a car its going to have to be a whole lot more authentic than what I perceive that one to be. I would just as soon spend my money on a real deal shelby mustang or some kinda mopar thing ma jig. Maybe a nice one off GTO.

3 hours ago, old car fan said:

Ed,I know your cars are well sorted. How many cars actually participate in the tour vs show .

About 80 percent do the tour…..

• Thanks 1

Looks like pre war cars are soft across the board at the auctions. Duesenbergs seem to be holding up, but some very nice upper end and mid level bargains can be had. 

• Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Looks like pre war cars are soft across the board at the auctions. Duesenbergs seem to be holding up, but some very nice upper end and mid level bargains can be had. 

Nice cars are still bringing strong prices. It’s the cool cars that still need work that are soft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

With the exception of this. Which brought 1.7 million.

IMG_2981.jpeg

I don't even know what that was? However, IF the serial number tag was worth that much? I would certainly think that the car was of special historic interest and that nearly every scrap of original metal remaining would actually be resurrected and used on the completed automobile!

I have restored worse myself. I resurrected an original era model T boat-tail roadster that had been totaled in a rollover wreck decades earlier, and then stripped of anything usable. One half of the tail section was torn loose, smashed inside out and stuffed into the other side! It took more than fourteen linear feet of crack and tear welding to put the main body alone back together! I used every ounce of original metal remaining, straightened, and welded, and reshaped back to original form. Being a model T Ford of course all the missing parts were easily sourced. 

After I had bought the wreckage, a dozen people that saw it told me that "it could not be restored!" I wanted an original after-market bodied model T speedster. I restored it. And I very much enjoyed driving it for several years before I had to sell it in order to buy our first home.

If that car's serial number plate is worth that much? That car deserves no less.

• Like 2