What goes through someones mind to do this?

RivVrgn

The interior is a nightmare but the rest of it carries a theme.  Not my taste but it is still Buick powered and has some form of glass in at least the front and back (and the wing windows) for the chopped top so it's had some decent thought and effort put into it.

• Like 1

The velour-era interior probably looked nicely-decadent when it was new, but sun did it no favors.  Wonder what the FRAME looks like?

Obviously, if the car was "refreshed" top-side and elsewhere, it could be wildly-popular on the indoor car show circuits this winter!

NTX5467

I'm going to look on the positive of this and say that the rear taillights almost look kind of cool. 

Remind me a little of the rather famous 69 and 70 Cadillac Eldorado taillights. 

That kind of pays an homage to the origins of the Riv since it was first pitched to sold as a Cadillac before Buick got it.

The rest of it, I just don't want to look at it.

Are we forgetting the era this car was built in?   I think it is a cool combination of 60s gasser meets 70s super fly. 

Also, you don't know how bad the car was he started with.   I'm not a fan of messing up a nice original car.   But a 10 year old car might be in the junk yard or getting close.

• Like 1

I have a '64 Riviera and I like the vent windows on that car. They appear to be from a '50s hardtop or convertible and squared at the top. The originals are triangular and come to a point. My left eye is a little blurry since some medical issues. I got a pretty good whack and a lot of bleeding from that frame one day. I always put my hand over the pointy part if I get in with the window open. I see Rivieras that are chopped and the vent eliminated. They did good on that.

I had a '70 Eldorado and the fins on the quarters are as pleasurable to polish as Riviera from fenders. If the rear was rotted off a car I could see that mod although I would probably buy an Eldorado instead.

Looking at the car I get thinking it may have been financed with fortunes made from writing the bass music for slow motion action scenes in TV car shows. They do crazy things. My uncle blew his fortune from playing bongo music for 1950s Noir genre movies that way.

He did something to the deck lid edge.

rearpaint.jpg.640782c26cc9b096c7276bca445d9e12.jpg

I am striping mine for paint. His work popped out because I am considering a novel tutone that extends from the sail panel trim to a line across the trunk lock. If I do it I plan to shadow the radius of the deck lid corners. That's why his caught my eye.

My car has had an aftermarket black vinyl top for the 44 years I have owned it and I don't care for painting it all one color since I am used to the break up. Currently the plan is non-metallic Royal Maroon with a Bronze Mist roof and deck.

As I mentioned I like his vent windows more than the original. I put a new windshield in my car in 2014. If I didn't have that new glass I would consider a split windshield 1971 Stutz style and those squared vents. Other ideas have been out there.

I just came in from reupholstering and installing the driver seat in my newest Cadillac addition. It is very close to show ready. If I keep up the diversions the Riviera will be safe.

• Like 1

There is a '57 New Yorker 2-dr hardtop which used to come to our annual Mopar shows.  A fantastic-looking correctly-restored car.  The main body areas were very nice and shiny black.  The roof was a metallic black.  The subtle contrast really stood out against the shiny total black of the rest of the car body.

In order to possibly save time and expense, you could paint the car all one color in your choice of normal paint.  THEN, use a body wrap material to do the two-toning with.  This way, if you don't like it, it can be removed.  Plus keeping a decent shine on the 2nd color.  A few years ago, the parts truck I had was factory silver, but the other trucks we got needed to match mine, so they were wrapped in the same GM factory color.  ONLY way you could tell was when you looked around the hidden edges.  The gloss was similar and hard to tell from a factory paint job.

You can buy panels of certain colors from 3M or similar, plus do a DIY situation, OR let somebody else install it.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

“ Rollers” as I know them. These are Automobiles gents chrome even the under carriage then engrave the chrome. Super intricate paint work with scallops, fog, metal flake, Diamond dust, pin striping, clear coats, gleaming wire spoke wheels are standard. Additionally, the automobile has no gasoline or oil for fear of leaks.

I believe these one time autos are known as Folk Art.

Their purpose is to show their creation. The one time automobile is now Art to show for folks to enjoy…. Or not enjoy. We can label the “ Roller” a car, but no longer the automobile drivers know the vehicle.

There is no arguing personal taste

Later Gator

The Turbinator

The "rollers" I know are hulk-of-a-vehicle with 4 wheels to roll them around on.  Then, as long as the tires don't go flat, Code Enforcement can't mandate that they should be removed, unless they might become "a nuisance" of sorts.  FWIW

14 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

In order to possibly save time and expense,

There have been many points in my life that were pivotal moments. Years ago when my fraternal grandparents were alive I brought in a retired engineer turned carpenter to install handrails on the front and back porches of my 1853 house. The words he used were similar but I only remember them coming out as "I am not going to do what you want". 

I have mentioned on this forum that the two most dangerous words in the English language are "I thought"

The scariest statement is "I think I can save you some money".

The subtle contrast of the Chrysler is what I really like.

This Silver Wraith came in for service a couple of years ago, a quite rare coupe. It had a very tastefully done tutone that I had already envisioned. The pale orange pinstripe was just right. Seeing it in person and saving the poor phone pictures was inspirational.

005.JPG.dadef94b9205da3d8c14e2ecf9235edd.JPG

004.JPG.0c76c9406c3f7db47278847b74cc1293.JPG

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

My father's mother and his stepfather. Only had one set left.

It would not be word-economical to describe that relationship with 100% accuracy when used as a reference or qualifier.  At face value, "fraternal grandparents" would be the grandparents of your brother or sister (not "step" siblings), and therefore *your* grandparents, nonne?

Good catch, it's paternal. They were the short ones, possibly genetically damaged due to the famine. The O'Brien side fared better, even had a couple of basketball players among them.

The tutone job is the key. "The level of perfection one can achieve is directly proportional to the number of times one is willing to do the job over." I have always been a fan of Proper Motorcar paint schemes. If it costs a couple of quarts of paint and my time I'm willing. And just the willingness may be the key.

• Like 1