1970 Camaro Rally Sport

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Love it!     I drove a 80 Z28 350 4 speed in College and have been searching for just the right one for years.   4 speed + AC makes it a tough find.   Add in 29k miles and it makes it impossible.

... and meticulous first and only-other owner...

Nice driving cars. Yours is beautiful. I have owned several. This is my mostly original 71  (built in September 1970) RS/SS 396 a/c automatic transmission deluxe interior.
Unfortunately the original owner cut a hole in the hood and also the top for the crappy 70ies sunroof 🤮

I think it had every Cal customs accessory that you could buy on it when I got it. I will eventually repair the top and replace the hood.

John 

IMG_3305.jpeg.b34b9cadb6a130899c1fccb3411c6680.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful Camaro!  I love the original 2nd-gen design.  The Ferrari cues are unmistakable and the overall look is clean and svelte.  I was going to post pictures of a late 2nd-gen for comparison, but AJ beat me to it.  ;)

In my opinion, government regulations and late 70s styling trends really didn't improve on the original.  I particularly like the rear tail panel and flat backglass of the original design.

image.png.69f9872f44fd4d9cfc8fed6d665fa3e3.png

The split front bumper is icing on the cake!

image.png.d58da78ec2ba95b01a59cfe7e3326851.png

• Like 3

My older brother's  first car was a new '72 Camaro Type LT . This was the precursor to the Berlinetta model, not a performance model. Black exterior, black vinyl top, blue ribbed cloth seats.  It had the full width bumper. 350 V8 with column shift auto. Buckets but no console or a/c.  He added Ansen Mag wheels, 8 track player, and dual glass packs. A beautiful, fun car that he let me drive a couple of times. Kept it for four years and put 80,000 miles on it. Drove it cross country a couple of times, and anywhere else at the drop of a hat. 

Traded it for a used red '76 Trans Am. Equally beautiful. Congrats on a great find.

I was into early Datsun Zs and soooo many had the tops cut to fit a pop up sunroof!

On 8/3/2023 at 4:18 PM, West Peterson said:

This blue one was shown at the recent AACA Miami Nationals. No air, tho, and definitely not for sale. 1981

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

Looks like a Canadian car, Ontario plate. We didn't have many people order them with A/C back then.

• Like 1

A friend bought one new in 1971(a1970 model leftover) that he ha first drove in 1970.  396, four speed, 4:11 posi.  Fastest car he ever owned.  He had the rear gears changed to a 3:73 set and it was just as fast. We drifted apart after I got married in 73 so I don’t know how long he owned it as the next time I saw him he had a Jeep CJ.

• 4 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, West Peterson said:

....original owner took the wheels and tires off the car when nearly new and stored them.

IMG_4203.JPG

This photo brings back memories. I remember finding a set of these wheels and trim rings for my '71 Nova coupe back in the day. They looked great on my car...and most other Chevies I've seen them on. COOL!

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I lived near the Van Nuys plant and many neighbors worked there. One guy always had a new car every year. He had a new 70 Camaro just like this. I will never forget the first time I saw it driving down the street. I was 11 years old.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...