Please help confirming Mercury Marauder wheel cap identification!

AndrewS05

Hello!

I recently came across a wheel cap that all the person knew about it's origin is that it came from an older man who worked on Fords his whole life. After attempting some online research I found the logo appears to match the '69-'70 Mercury Marauder X-100 wheel caps. There seems to be a couple of differences however that are keeping me from being 100% convinced. The main differences being rings around the outside of the logo which do not seem to appear on any stock photos I can find, as well as the outer casing that it is in. If anyone that is knowledgeable in this area could shed some light I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

70 Marauder owner here. Yep, that emblem matches the 70 Marauder center caps. The center cap does not look like that. They are very shallow, about 3/4 the height of a Magnum 500 center cap. Spring clips hold them in, and the hole in the wheel they go in is smaller than the hole in a magnum 500 wheel. I would post a pic if I could, but my last 2 original center caps were stolen in a parking lot a few years ago. As @The 55er noted, that is a gas cap. 69-70 Marauders have the gas cap under a door, so it isn't for one of those. You're looking for some Mercury from that era with an exposed gas cap. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1