57 Roadmaster Head Gasket Leaking Oil?

364nailhead

Need some help!

This oil leak is on the driver side at the very last bolt between the head and block, towards the firewall. It drips down onto the starter (Soaked) and onto the exhaust pipe. Is this a failed head gasket? Valve cover is bowed out in middle from the impression of the gasket, but looking good at end of area towards firewall.

Edited by 364nailhead (see edit history)

If that head bolt goes into an open hole, rather than a blind hole, it might just need to be removed, cleaned, and the threads coated with Permatex #2 or similar, then reinstalled in the cleaned threads?

I suspect that a failed head gasket would be leaking coolant into the oil or a cylinder.

Just a thought,

NTX5467

Three that I can think of possibilities:

1-- valve cover

2--oil getting between the head gasket/cylinder head/blick interface through the drain back of the valve pushrods.

3--pressurized oil from the rockers getting past the head gasket at the rear. (oil feed to the rockers comes from the front of the reversible cylinder heads and ends in a blind hole at the back.)

2&3 requires head gasket replacement.:(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, old-tank said:

3--pressurized oil from the rockers getting past the head gasket at the rear. (oil feed to the rockers comes from the front of the reversible cylinder heads and ends in a blind hole at the back.)

Maybe figure out a way to block the dead-end of the rocker shaft to either fix or rule-out that leak path?  Could the outlet (rear) hole be tapped and a flush (i.e. Allen-head) plug installed in the rocker shaft support?

The leak may be coming from the front side of the head gasket, and then traveling alongside the valley cover to the rearwhere it drops onto the starter. I thought I had sealed mine by cleaning that gap with a lot of brake cleaner and then put th ing black rtv sealer in it. However it only redirected the leak to come down the front of the engine next to the timing chain cover. The fix is to replace the head gasket or just keep a drip pan under it. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

If your interested 

I have a itemized detailed procedure list for removing the cylinder heads I could e-mail you, PM me your e-mail address 

Bob

Hopefully having a strong back and arms  on the list.  These heads are heavy. Sheesh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use a junk rocker shaft a chain and the engine hoist to remove and install cylinder heads on these engines. 

I also use two head bolts with the tops cut off to guide the heads back into position.

Your problem is likely the rear drain hole for the rocker shaft. The oil drains through the rear rocker shaft bolt, then through the neighboring head bolt, finally through to the crankcase.

I use copper gasket spray on steel shim head gaskets and that has solved the issue for me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The head removal on a 57-58 is a giant PITA since the rear two pushrods cannot be removed with the air box on the firewall.  They have to come off with the head.  I think there is one of the head bolts that has the same problem.  If I were you, I would let it ride for as long as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, 364nailhead said:

Ok, I have changed my mind. I'm going to focus on the straightning the valve cover to get the bow out, along with new cork gasket and sealant.

Put everything back on and see if it helps. 

Really appreciated all the replies!

Richie

Easiest place to start.  Table vise and straight edge to check your work. Keep us posted. 

Honestly, thinking back to the removal of my 264 heads with leaning over beautifully painted fenders... sheesh...coffee must have been strong that morning.  Then reinstall them!!!!! All worked out in the end. If you do need to remove the head ask for help. 

• Like 2

I've had back issues off and on for the past ten years.

Low and behold my back went out yesterday while getting ready for work!

I'm sure it's because just looking at the heads all this past week!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 🤣 Called in sick today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The oil drainback hole situation sounds a bit convoluted to me, SO with the valve covers off, can you inspect those drainback holes for being open and clear?  Coat the valve cover gaskets with black, high heat sealer, a skin coat you can smear on with your fingers.  ALL sides . . . top, bottom, inside, and outside edges.  Let it cure overnight, THEN install them.  If a dab is needed to keep them in place while they are being installed, that can happen to.  That skin coat of sealer seals the cork and prevents wicking of oil through them, over time.  I coat all of my gaskets that way.  It's worked well for me over the past 50+ years I've been doing it.  Easy to remove and re-use the gaskets, too.  FAR, FAR better than using yellow 3M adhesive to glue them in place!!!!!!!

As for the head gasket/oil leak issue . . . perhaps some Dawn Powerwash and gentle water to keep things cleaner?

NTX5467

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Well after about 4 weeks letting my back heal up, I finally was able to put everything back together on the Buick. Straighten out the valve cover it was pretty bad, (bowed out). Sealed the gasket on put in place. A new valley pan cover, new intake gaskets which I put plugs in and a remanufactured carburetor in place. Took off down the road and drove about 20 miles with the exhaust as dry as can be! No oil leaking on the exhaust pipe! At least for now anyway. Thank you all for much appreciated help!

Richie

IMG_20230826_201724806.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Just saw this tonight sorry for the delayed response my friend Lance. 

Carburetor Center, EL Monterey, California.

I'm planning on bending the heat stove pipe from exhaust manifold to the choke thermostat tomorrow. I would highly recommend this shop for liability and integrity! Treated me with good business!

Edited by 364nailhead (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:43 PM, 364nailhead said:

Hi, Just saw this tonight sorry for the delayed response my friend Lance. 

Carburetor Center, EL Monterey, California.

I'm planning on bending the heat stove pipe from exhaust manifold to the choke thermostat tomorrow. I would highly recommend this shop for liability and integrity! Treated me with good business!

Thanks, I've also had good luck with them.