Best Silver paint for lower dash / console

atencioee

Hi Gene,

Your best bet is to take a sample to a auto body supply or full service auto parts store that can shoot the sample with a color gun and mix up the appropriate paint in a rattle can for you. 

I did this with success to retouch worn out areas on my lower dash pieces, esp. around the ignition key, etc.  I removed the plastic cover from the fuse panel to use as the sample to be matched.  Remove the two screws holding the fuse panel, then slide the plastic cover away from the fuse panel itself to remove.  Take this along with you to the paint store so they can match it for you.

My paint jobber matched the medium green color of my fuse panel cover, including the proper satiny sheen and put the pain into a rattle can. I did not spray large sections with the rattle can.  I sprayed the paint into a yogurt container and applied the paint with a small paintbrush and the end of a paper matchstick. 

If you plan on respraying larger sections with the rattle can, first make sure the new pant is compatible with the factory finish.  I'm not sure if the factory used enamel or lacquer on the interior pieces.  Ask the paint store that mixes your paint what type of paint they use. If the factory pieces are finished in enamel, and you spray lacquer over top, you may get into trouble.  Read here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/painting-dos-and-donts-mixing-laquer-and-enamel.32628/

Here in essence is what it says: "Generally speaking, you don't want to apply LACQUERS over ENAMELS. This is because the solvents used in lacquers are MUCH "hotter" (stronger, faster evaporating) than enamel solvents, and the lacquer solvents can 'dissolve' the enamel paint underneath them, leading to "alligatoring" or cracking or other things that TOTALLY ruin the paint finish. When something like this happens, your best bet is to wipe the whole mess off with a paper towel soaked in lacquer thinner, allow it to dry thoroughly, sand anything else off if necessary, and start over with the finishing process. Now, like everything else, there ARE exceptions to the rules... some folks HAVE applied lacquers over enamels successfully, but it is NOT a "beginners technique" and is risky at the best of times... it can be done in VERY VERY THIN, gradual coats, that don't put enough lacquer thinner/paint onto the enamel surface to attack it. Enamel, having 'softer, slower' solvents, CAN be applied safely over lacquer in most cases. Other paints can be applied over one another with various levels of success... "

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

As GM was using acrylic lacquer on the exterior, I suspect they were using lacquer on the innards, too.  Easier to shoot than acrylic enamel, too, even at the factory level.  Mist coats are better than "wet" coats, usually.  Be sure to clean everything to be sprayed with silicone and oil remover!  

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467