For Sale:  1959 Lincoln Premiere 2dr Hardtop, A/C, 81K miles - $17,900 - Caledonia, WI - Not Mine

For Sale: 1959 Lincoln Premiere 2dr Hardtop, A/C, 81K miles - $17,900 - Caledonia, WI

1959 Lincoln Premier - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

Nice 1959 Lincoln Premier with beautiful newer paint job. Arizona car. no rust, very clean. Runs and drives excellent with many new parts. Do Not text or email just call. If you are interested in this vehicle. odometer: 81000

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1959 Lincoln Premiere 2dr Hardtop.

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 1,963 1959 Lincoln Premiere 2dr Hardtops built.

'59 Lincoln WI a.jpg

'59 Lincoln WI b.jpg

'59 Lincoln WI c.jpg

'59 Lincoln WI d.jpg

'59 Lincoln WI e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Ugly but impressive. I think I read somewhere that was the largest unibody car ever built, not sure if it was at that time or always.

Yes, largest unibody in their time: 131" wb, OAL: 229", ~5,000 lbs.  It's a fascinating tale of the driving corporate motivations and personalities that brought these "misunderstood giants" to market.  The basic idea was to "Out Cadillac, Cadillac in every way." reasoning if long, massive, extravagantly styled cars denoted the ultimate in American luxury, Lincoln would deliver it in spades.

• Like 3

Yes, and the “canted blade” styling was supposed to make the occupants feel cradled 😌  and it did that. 

The interior is ginormous! Two door, front seat all the way back and there is still more room than in the front of typical cars. (Including Cadillac). 

New styling, new construction techniques (unibody) new engine (MEL 430) new suspension (4 coils) all coming together in a brand new assembly plant!  (Wixom) 

Initial quality problems? Absolutely, but it’s amazing that they are as good as they are. 
They had a lot of conquest sales over Cadillac in 1958, but the quality problems hurt repeat sales. 

In 1959 surveys, Lincoln was seen as the most conservatively styled of the big 3 luxury cars. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Ugly but impressive. 

I like it.  The 1958's were more strangely styled,

and didn't do well in the market.  For 1959, Lincoln

reduced the horsepower for a bit more economy;

toned down the strangeness of the styling, and by then

had corrected some problems with the large unibody.

Rarity goes unnoticed--sometimes even by our astute

"Not Mine" forum reviewers.  Of 1959-1960 Lincolns,

the 4-door Continental Marks are the most common,

followed closely by the convertibles (only available as

Continental Marks).  The base models like this are

encountered noticeably less often today, and a 2-door

base model (like this) is almost never seen in such good

condition.

Original production numbers no longer tell the story.

Someone should take advantage of this chance!

• Like 1

The 1958-'60 Lincolns did not fare very well in the used car market.  Consider the following comparing the three 1959 luxury two door hardtops as used cars in Spring 1963 and Summer 1965:  Source: N.A.D.A Used Car Valuation Market Reports.

Nameplate............Factory Price.......Retail 1963.....Retail 1965:

Cadillac DeVille: ----$5,252---------$2,400--------$1,100

Lincoln Premiere: ---$5,347---------$1,600---------$785

Imperial Crown: -----$5,403---------$1,700---------$535

Whereas the Cadillac was still expensive enough to exclude many of the buyer who wouldn't have the resources to maintain the car in good condition, both Lincoln and Imperial were a "big. flashy, cheap rides" until something expensive needed repair or replacement.   That $1,600-$1,700 range bought a two-year-old full-size Chevy-Ford-Plymouth mid-trim level two door with average mileage, or a large portion of the price of a new intermediate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Family traded in our '58 Premier for a used '63 Marauder in '64. Trade in value? $500.

The fact that I remember my parents buying the Lincoln (and the cross country trips in it) plus I washed it, so knew every line and curve. It was a handsome car, much more than the neighbors '59 Cad. That rear end was 'space age modern' to my young eyes.

Edited by Sal Hepatica (see edit history)
  • Like 2