1965 - New Rear Shocks - Ride Height

Brtele

After getting the brake's dual master cylinder project crossed off the list, I decided to replace the existing shocks with new Bilsteins.  I'm also needing an increase in rear ride height so hoping these shocks do the trick.  I installed the Bilstein 55-R410 shocks purchased from Auto Atlanta. George is a great guy and took the time to walk me through what shocks I needed along with other cool Riv information.

Yesterday I easily installed the rears (no broken bolts, not a ton of rust in the eyes, no broken knuckles).  Got it all torqued up once back on the ground and took it for a 3-mile spin.  I can't wait to do the fronts - just the rear shocks installed was night and day difference in ride and handling.

And the ride height increase was spot on.  I increased 8/8ths of an inch.  

image.jpeg.df6cca859c6e72b76f0a14a96ec59472.jpegimage.jpeg.a2605279aecc0225ba1c6d45aef3303f.jpeg

I'm completely joking on the ride height - I've read some of the ride height discussions and I couldn't help myself from creating this clickbait and possible reader BP increase.  But in all seriousness, the ride and handling were night-and-day.

PS - I knew it wasn't going to raise the rear end, but it didn't keep me from stepping back and just eyeballing/hoping for a slight increase, haha.

• Haha 2

Installing MY rear sway bar UNDER the rear springs will raise the ride height by 1/2-3/4".

As I'm sure you found out shocks have NOTHING to do with ride height unless you install the shocks with springs on them.

Tom T.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are shocks for normal ride height vehicles and shocks for cars with lowered ride heights.  Which can usually mean the shocks are physically shorter so they are not damaged when the car "bottoms out" on dips or bumps.

Bilsteins, with their 300psi internal gas pressure, usually raise the car about 1/4"-1/2" over mid-pressure (KYB) or "gas charged" shocks, from what I recall.  People who don't like air shocks as they put ride forces where they would not normally have been, to support the car, should not use Bilsteins for the same reason, it seems to me.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

On 8/20/2023 at 8:54 AM, NTX5467 said:

the car, should not use Bilsteins for the same reason, it seems to me.

NTX5467, I put Bilstein shocks on 5/6 years ago on my 63. Had I known the Bilstein could have possibly raised the height of body I would not have installed the Bilstein shocks. Im not a fan of changing the suspension on a car not knowing what Im doing. ( admittedly is most of the time) So, the sway bars installed front and back along with the original rebuilt steering box made the car steer better. I am

a fan of the lower profile appearance of the slightly lowered car, but without specific modifications to change the ride height.

Ill keep an eye on basic upkeep rather than “fix” something until it is broken.

Later Gator

• Thanks 1

After dealing with the generally low ride height of my '77 Camaro, I put the factory Z/28 15" wheels on it to raise it up enough to clear curbs and parking lot "stop" and such.  Saved the front air dam!  Then I learned to gauge how close I was to curbs, too.  That's why teh factory air dams on most '75-'77 Camaros are not there.  People stopping when the wheels hit the curb, crunching the fiberflass lower valence panel in the process.

Then came a normal muffler replacement on that car, with the factory-part number Z/28 cat back exhaust on it.  Of course, a larger muffler might be better, clamped too.  Good thing I got it clamped as it dragged on the slightest dip in the road!  I fought that deal, re-adjusting the system upward, then getting better clamps, than getting normal '69 Z/28 resonators for it.  At best, I believe I have about 5.5" ground clearance on the resonators now.  No issues with "dragging", although I am still sensitive to those things.

As to a lower ride height, just be glad the Rivs don't have the same rear body length as Electra 225s . . . and all that might mean.

Take care,

NTX5467

2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

to a lower ride height, just be glad the Rivs don't have the same rear body length as Electra 225s . . . and all that might mean.

The ride height of my Riviera is fine. Were the car any lower I’d need another person pull me out. I should count my lucky stars it looks as nice as I like.

• Thanks 1