Interesting Door Mirror Retrofit

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

So I have an idle habit of watching Bring a Trailer and Cars and Bids for stuff and a semi-custom '63 (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-buick-riviera-33/) caught my attention as having a fair number of subtle changes on the same color scheme as my 64.    While some of the changes, like the door panels) are definitely pass in my book, the new door mirrors are a bit divisive between my wife and I.  

1963_buick_riviera_032-1-scaled.jpg?fit=

I'm mixed and she's definitely a no.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Edited by CTX-SLPR (see edit history)

Though I like the painted mirror, as it tends to make the mirror disappear, I think that particular one is a little too 'smooth' for a first-gen.  I'd be tempted to body-work the shell a little and perhaps add a body line to mimic the one near the top of the door.

Description says Park Ave. Not sure these would be any better than the stock mirrors, based on where they are placed. Everybody that has done a right hand mirror in this location say it is useless. My 63 has the mirror in the early position, about even with the rear wing post. With my seat being moved back 3”, I think I could see out of a right side mirror in this location. When I add one, it will be located even with the rear wing post so as to not be obstructed. Look at early 90s Mustangs for a painted mirror that has a higher base to get these up at a better height. Also need to be sure these still allow operation of the wing windows, in either location.

Styling-wise they just don't go.  Those are modern mirrors on a 60s vehicle.  The good thing is that they are small and I think because the whole car is white, they kind of blend in and aren't very noticeable.  How often do people adjust their side mirrors to need to have them be powered?  I just don't get it. 

• Like 1

For a car like most of ours, they won't move much but my other cars move everytime my wife and I swap cars.  I do however want power mirrors on my '64 especially with the original sized mirrors and I often want to look around with them, especially when reversing, since the field of view is so small.

19 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

What would Bill Mitchell do?

IMG_1864.jpeg

Whoever ends up being the first to convert their 1st gen Riviera to electric should consider making these changes to the front end as well since they won't need an open grill for cooling.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:19 AM, telriv said:

Yeah, just get rid of the vent/wing windows like Bill did & you now have a much bigger choice of different mirror options.

Whos going to be 1st???

Tom T.

To be honest...  I'd be happy to remove those windows despite how well they work on getting cool air in without the AC.  I need new side glass anyway (welding spatter from the floor replacement) and am debating going with a Mercedes S-klasse like double glazed window since it's just flat sheets.  Anything to help the over taxed AC system, especially since I had to swap down to a Civic Sanden compressor to clear the suspension with the engine setback.

Edited by CTX-SLPR (see edit history)

On 7/21/2023 at 2:19 PM, CTX-SLPR said:

To be honest...  I'd be happy to remove those windows despite how well they work on getting cool air in without the AC.  I need new side glass anyway (welding spatter from the floor replacement) and am debating going with a Mercedes S-klasse like double glazed window since it's just flat sheets.  Anything to help the over taxed AC system, especially since I had to swap down to a Civic Sanden compressor to clear the suspension with the engine setback.

Before you do that (if you’re following Bill’s lead) chop the top 2” and add 2” to the front of the fenders before pancaking the hood.

• Like 3

That's far too much work for my goals and I already have enough headroom issues with the stock roofline.

I'll stare at the car now I'm back home and see if I even want to consider it seriously.  Rear windows mechanism is already due for rework.