New topic opinion - trade only section

Buick35

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to New topic opinion - trade only section

Not sure what you have in mind? Most people who are getting rid of, or are interested in selling stuff want cash. For a small number, they may say "cash or partial trade for something", and a very small number may ask for a straight trade, car for car etc. I suspect that would be about .001% of all sellers/buyers. In my humble opinion, there are already too many disparate forums on here, adding another one seems unnecessary. Perhaps you can further explain your proposal, i.e. give an example like "Have a 1700 era reproduction Blunderbuss, willing to trade straight up for a 1929 Buick".

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I would think that a number of us get tired of having the same ol car though it s nice, sometimes a change would be nice. I've had my MG B listed under cars wanted for some time looking to trade it for a car or truck in same condition just to see what's out there but not much luck. I should probably just try to sell it for $8000 or so.

Trade only could be referring to businesses in the motor trade offering services. Swap more accurately defines a fair exchange of one item for another. Just think about who got the raw end of the deal when trading beads was the norm.

• Like 3

A "for trade" section would greatly limit the

number of potential customers.  For example:

"1955 Ford 2-door hardtop.  Will trade for a newer

Crown Victoria 1979-87."

There may be a good number of people who would buy

a 1955 Ford if the price and condition were right.  How 

many of those just happen to have a Crown Victoria in

that range?  Of those people with Crown Victorias, how

many want to get rid of them?  And of those, how many

will value them close enough to a 1955 Ford to make the deal?

The likely prospects just went from 100 down to zero.

My thoughts:  Just list your car for sale.  In the text, declare

that you are open to trades, and mention the other car you want. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Trades can be a good way for someone to get into the hobby.  I have _______ valued at around _______ and am interested in trading for an old car of comparable value. . . .

And no the trade for the blunderbuss was not my idea, they wanted it and started to propose a trade idea.  But while on that topic there may be a list of needed parts soon and I have flintlocks, small cannons, mortars etc . . . 

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Just list your car for sale.  In the text, declare

that you are open to trades, and mention the other car you want. 

I agree with John S.    I also feel a new forum section would be hard to define and rarely used.

Not a great idea.. This happens all the time among car members. My dad did it and I did it..

One trade was done by my dad was 5 parts car for one car.. and some money.. I looked at the bill of sale.. after my dad pasted away the guy called me and wanted more parts.. It was not in the bill of sale.. He just wanted the parts for free..  I told him no. He could not give me any paperwork..

I am generally a nice, easy going fellow. I will try to help anyone the best I can. In the event of trading, I have traded goods or services on a limited basis a few times in the past. It always seems I come out on the short end of the stick (than again, maybe the other person felt the same way?). I would just as soon as sell or give something away then worry about procuring the item I want in the best manner possible.

I was at a car show a few years ago and a car parked  beside me, a very nice 69sh Tempest/GTO clone convertible. He introduced himself and then said he had always wanted a Trans Am and would trade me even up!! I thought he was joking at first but he mentioned it several times during the day. When the show was over he approached me again stating that he was indeed very serious about the offer, which I politely declined (I thought he was joking).

A year or so later I saw him again at a different show and he came up and said something to the effect of 'do you remember me? I wanted to trade cars with you. The offer is still on the table'. IF it were a real GTO I may have been tempted, LOL.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

I’ve done a few trades over the years.  Sometimes it works.

Most memorable, a twofer.  I bought a 1931 Chrysler.  Seller had remorse,six months late comes and offers me a beautiful 1938 Buick in trade, even up.  

Took the Buick on a tour, fellow fell in love with  it, offered me a 1959 Cadillac in trade, also even up.

Not just ANY 1959 Cadillac,but an Eldorado Brougham, one of 99 bodied by Pinin Farina (they built 100, one was dropped off ship when unloading from trip back from Italy).

A super rare car any many have never seen one.  Custom body, front hinged hood, yes a four door but what a car.

I ended up selling it to a gentleman in Alaska, no idea of whereabouts now.

• Like 1

The best way for a trade to work is for both people to walk away feeling like they got the best deal possible.  I have done a lot of trading and will continue to do more.  At rendezvous many can't afford my custom pieces but saying I am open to trades sometimes someone has something that piques my interest.  I never know what might come up and Im always able and many times have said "no thank you."  Trades can be a good way for someone to acquire something they may not have the cash on hand to buy.

In the late 80's early 90's I was a serious Merkur XR4TI fan, owned 3 of them including a parts car, great strong runners, but they eventually wore out. In the meantime I bought and had partially restored a 1931 Chevrolet, to the point it was worth about $12K-$15K. In 2016 I saw an ad in the media of a very nice 1986 Merkur for sale or trade at $10K, and offered the seller a trade straight up. The seller declined, but I did think it would have been a good deal for both of us.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:55 AM, Buick35 said:

I think there should be a trade only section for our antique cars. Any opinions and if there is enough interest,how to get it listed?Thanks

Do you have any data that might support the idea? Just because you've not been able to make a trade for your MG doesn't mean a separate section for trades might bring you any greater success. 

Terry 

I used to get a good laugh at the "want to trade" ads posted in a local buy/sell paper. They might go like this; "Want to trade. Need good used low mileage 4wd for winter travel. Have good used potty chair to trade". I've been offered trades a few times over the years but never a fair one. The other person usually wants something worth 10X what he has to trade.

I always have one eye open for my next project, and have often thought of a trade. Surely, I've imagined, there is someone out there who, I don't know:

1) Has an older, nicer, but non-running car that they'd trade for my reliable driver.

2) Has 2 'Super Sixes' but would like to have 1 Super Six and one Flying Flivver.

I still have an inkling of hope that it might actually happen someday. I will say, I've seen my share of sour barters. The last one I did, both of us felt like we got the short end and it messed up what had been a good working relationship.

Let's just rename the forum we have to the "Swap & Shop".

Maybe we can have a group chat at 12 noon everyday sorta like the call-in shows local radio stations use to have in the old days. Or, we could go high tech and put post-it notes on our computer screens so everyone on the forum can see what we have to trade.

Sticky Notes on Windows 10: Using Them the Right Way

Sounds good to me. I'll admit that I've traded some cars before that I wish I hadn't .One for sure was a 68 912 Porsche for a 86 Mercedes 300 SL.I ended up selling the SL on e-bay and bought my MG with some of the money.