Spokane 2023 NE Express(less)

JohnD1956

An LS engine probably would have used less oil, BUT in order to use an LS engine, the car's wiring would have to be completely re-done, I suspect.  Certainly need an alternator to power the computer network to make the LS run right, I suspect.  Not sure Annie's ready for a heart transplant, after proving herself as she did!

NTX5467

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JohnD1956,

It was a pleasure to have you and all of the BCA attendees at the 50th National Meet in Spokane Valley! I followed you all the way to the Pacific, then all the way across country to the Empire State!  What a thrill that was! It was good to have you on the judging team for the 1948s-1956s! We sat at the same table for lunch afterward and you told me some specific things about '56s under the hood!  I was grateful for your input!

Lee the Spokanite

Edited by variablepitch (see edit history)
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, variablepitch said:

JohnD1956,

It was a pleasure to have you and all of the BCA attendees at the 50th National Meet in Spokane Valley! I followed you all the way to the Pacific, then all the way across country to the Empire State!  What a thrill that was! It was good to have you on the judging team for the 1948s-1956s! We sat at the same table for lunch afterward and you told me some specific things about '56s under the hood!  I was grateful for your input!

Lee the Spokanite

Thanks Lee. I enjoyed judging with you and our team.  I really enjoyed the Meet this year.

• Like 1

Back when the car was built and up into the 1990s, according to GM, "excessive oil consumption" was below 1 qt/300 miles.  Which is more miles than one drop per engine revolution.  With the later ring packages, the miles/quart for "excessive" went to something like 1000 miles/qt.  BUT, one 6.0L company truck I had, it was end of the year, so I ran it 15K before I got the oil changed.  At 10K, it was still at the "Full" line and didn't smell of hydrocarbons, so by the time in January when I had some extra time, THEN it was changed at 15K miles on that oil.  FWIW

• Like 1

I want to apologize to everyone I met on this trip. Last nite and this morning I tested positive for Covid with home test kits. I didn't know I had it and I hope none of those I spent time with get it. I am truly sorry. 

• Thanks 1

John thanks so much for this thread it is great that you were able to do this with this car and yes they do run better the more they are driven. i think this shows we should be a little more confident in our old cars. your pictures also showed how beautiful and varied this country is. glad you had a safe trip.

sorry to hear about the covid hopefully it will be a quick mild case 

Marty

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I want to apologize to everyone I met on this trip. Last nite and this morning I tested positive for Covid with home test kits. I didn't know I had it and I hope none of those I spent time with get it. I am truly sorry. 

Oh my.  Hope you get well soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that rots. Be sure to contact your doctor and do what he tells you. Everyone we know who came down with the crud came through it just fine, some on Paxlovid, others without. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the virus has run its course in me already.  According to a conversation with my Doctor it wasn't just the heat wave I was feeling from the 21st to the 26th. I am likely over the virus at this point and just have a lingering cough.  Thanks to all for your well wishes. Now to get caught up on my household issues since being away. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

It seems that the virus has run its course in me already.  According to a conversation with my Doctor it wasn't just the heat wave I was feeling from the 21st to the 26th. I am likely over the virus at this point and just have a lingering cough.  Thanks to all for your well wishes. Now to get caught up on my household issues since being away. 

I wondered about that once you said you tested positive.  100 degree heat and 100 plus fever.  Not a good combo.  

• Like 1