Ok Guess what my new toy is that is forcing me to sell my Hudson Pickup

auburnseeker

OK we have a winner. Actually a couple.  

It does have a DDCP bolt in it,  prominently.  Not sure why right in the center of the windshield frame.  My thoughts were they used it temporarily then never got around to replacing it. 

Now do you need to see a photo or two or you just want to imagine how bad or good it looks? 

I'm also looking for two correct gauge panel housings for it.  A steering wheel and atleast part of a column would be nice as well if anyone has any of that stuff squirreled away. 

• Like 1

Someone sprayed something where it was stored so the paint has a rough feel to it.  So much you can't even wipe it off with a cloth without it sticking and it has numerous small scratches and imperfections that when sanded out and buffed really make her pop.  

Hard to get good shots in the garage. 

image.jpeg.314a277ae117b0df836a9637c8b1df2c.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

And what does "Victoria" (if I recall correctly?) the convertible sedan think of the newcomer?

Well it's kind of like when you bring a new girlfriend home and introduce her to the wife.  Yeah you can cut the tension in the garage with a knife or maybe one of the knock off wire wheel caps they will probably find in my back as she watches me polish the new girl in the garage. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Congratulations!  You went for maximum Auburn and got it!  Color all the rest of us green with envy!  Get used to being the center of attention wherever you drive in it.   Young Gordon Buehrig had a very good day at his drawing board when he designed these late Speedsters incorporating the cowl and passenger compartment from the leftover 1933 speedster body from Union City Body Company inventory.

• Like 1

As much as I hate to,  I do have to point out in case any of you don't know, though I suspect you all do,  it's a replica. 

Unfortunately the real alpha males have priced most of us out of the market for a real one.  Though I will say, this one presents more like an original than many of them.   More so when I get done with it hopefully.

Short story behind finding it,  was I had been searching a few times a day a google image search for 1954 Corvettes. (another tool that picks up stuff listed on the web for sale without visiting every site known to man)

This popped up as being just listed for sale.  What it had to do with a 1954 Corvette search I have no idea as to why it came up.  I blew by it just glancing at the photos and saying that looks pretty good. 

Next time it came up again and I actually went to the site and looked it over.  Again thinking it was nice but dismissing it.  Then I started thinking about it.  Showed it to the wife and she liked it.  Something that can't be said for most of the old cars I show her so I decided maybe it was time to move on it.  The clincher was when I found myself refreshing the ad a few times a day to see if it had sold. Once you reach that point it's time to just pull the trigger.  I didn't want it to be one of those got aways we always talk about.  

So here she is. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 6

A rebody on an original chassis would be ideal.  It's actually an elegant motors body which seems pretty good quality on a 68 Cadillac chassis with a 472.  Some of those early Glen Preys had weird rear axle humps that really throw the lines off.   I think the later ones he got rid of that.  Some of the continuation cars only had 3 pipes as well.  

I really wish I could swing an original but when they are going for near a million,  it's just not a reality.  I can live with alot if I get it looking right for a small fraction of that. 

Thus my quest to install original dash trimmings and an original steering wheel/ column.  I'm already working on sourcing more period looking mirrors.  

• Like 4

I'm even more envious than you might know. A stunning car one can cruise leisurely with, a happy wife (and ergo happy life), the best design lines ever produced in North America, and not afraid to drive it for ice cream and coffee. I'm still amazed modern companies are not producing a small number of high quality runs of classics like this, and perhaps new regulations will lead to some doing just that.

My Dad was a mechanic, and during WWII while serving in the Canadian Navy out of Halifax, he recalled to me in the late 1980's about walking up Spring Garden Road (the posh shopping district) one day in 1941 when he came across a 1936 Auburn 2 seater convertible (his terms), and was just stunned. He said he stood in awe for a few minutes looking the car over from all angles, before continuing on his way. My Dad (who at the time owned a '36 Auburn Sedan which he said was his favorite car he ever owned)) was never one who was easily impressed, but that car knocked his socks off. Yours does the same for me. Good taste never gets old.

• Like 1