1919 White Motor Company Firetruck

Ecampi

I recently became the owner of a 1919 White Fire Truck. I haven't been able to find any information on service manuals, parts manuals, etc. I own it but it's still sitting in the warehouse where I found sitting on jack stands. The new tires and wheels are there but the wheel bearings and seals are missing. I'm on a bit of a time limit as the property is going on the market soon. Is there any information you might be able to help me with? Thank you, Ed

IMG_5913.jpeg

IMG_5914.jpeg

• Like 1

No seals, just felt. I have the old bearings out of my 17 and they MIGHT fit……there were at least five different front axle choices in 1919.

I will send you a PM, with my number. Best, Ed.

• Like 1

Although some what awkward, you could make a bracket to attach to each spindle and bolt them to a good set of dolly wheels.  A large roll back should then be able to pull the truck on.   Nice project by the way.

Bearings are Timken and White made all their own axels and spindles..The bearings on my 1917 were 900 bucks EACH in the rear. Fronts were like 350 per side. Unfortunately, all my bearings were bad……….it was quite an expensive endeavor to do them all around. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had HB Bearings in Huddersfield England reverse engineer wheel bearings that I could not find anywhere. Came in at around $400 each with the races etc. Highly recommend them to anyone who is out of other options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Bearings are Timken and White made all their own axels and spindles..The bearings on my 1917 were 900 bucks EACH in the rear. Fronts were like 350 per side. Unfortunately, all my bearings were bad……….it was quite an expensive endeavor to do them all around. 

I just went through that with the rears on the Cadillac, good lord they're expensive - There would be a point at which I assume it's more practical to machine it to accept a more common bearing

White used standard bearings on cars and trucks.  Just measure wheel opening and axle shaft diameter and thickness,  remember bearings are metric sizes. Call old car  bearing for availability and price. Or make wooden ones  to move it and look around Hershey for them.

Just now, LI_BENTLEY said:

White used standard bearings on cars and trucks.  Just measure wheel opening and axle shaft diameter and thickness,  remember bearings are metric sizes. Call old car  bearing for availability and price. Or make wooden ones  to move it and look around Hershey for them.

Forgot. White used ball bearings not tapered type.

Hi ecampi, Nice White Fire Engine project! There are a number of Antique Truck clubs and historical societies out there that may have folks that can connect you to the needed parts and or other options. In my opinion, I would suggest that you try to leave it as original as possible with all of the tarnished Brass and other metals to help show it's age, but it's your option. I just saw an old Antique Truck gathering online in a Youtube video, that happened about 20 years ago. You have a lot of company in the antique truck hobby. Best Wishes 

Hi ecampi, FYI fantastic Water Tank on back!!!

Just a thought to relocate this find White F Engine:

1.) Contact a Heavy towing company to get their input

2.) They may have skids that can be attached to the undercarriage aka Springs

3.) If they don't perhaps make simple skids from heavy timbers or logs so Tow company can move F Truck onto a flatbed for moving

4.) Once relocated you can work on this project on your own time.

Best Wishes

If you know the dimensions of the bearing, or the original number etched on them, try your local industrial bearing supply house. You might be surprised.

Years ago I was working on a 1947 Austin water pump. It had a copper shaft and ball bearings. The local bearing shop had the bearings in stock. They have or can get most any bearing unless it was a one off. They also have loose balls all sizes by the bucket full. And speedy sleeves to sleeve worn shafts.

• Like 1