‘31 steering wheel - what is this non-metallic material?

JoelsBuicks

I need to make this part that is broken, the picture shows it.  I don’t know what the original material is and I don’t necessarily need to know.  I would like to find a suitable material to make it - tough but not brittle.  It is a nonmetallic but I don’t know that this is a necessary property.  

Perhaps someone has a suggestion of what would work.   I think I can turn it out on my lathe.   Car is a ‘31 Buick Sr. 60 that I am restoring.

Thanks,

Joel

IMG_6200.jpeg

I think you’re right.  It may be some sort of Bakelite that was actually molded with a binder in there.  The appearance on top is weathered but on the sun-protected bottom, it’s more like a shiny black.  

I recall seeing this same sort of stuff on pot handles - the ones that are old!

Seems to me like I recall this being a common problem and one without a reproduction available.  Maybe just buy a block of Bakelite and machine it and paint it black?

Thanks for weighing in,

Joel

Any phenolic or bakelite will do.  In fact you could make it out of aluminum and paint it gloss black to match the steering wheel.

I may have a spare piece from a 32 50 series.  I will check the parts manual for interchangability.  Most of them broke at the lever mounting.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1