How much to ask? 1935 Chevy

WolfSige

I am new to this, so I have a vehicle my dad left me. It's a 1935 chevy pickup. It's original and we had it running about 1.5 years ago but has since sat uncovered. How much do you think it's worth in this state? I need to let it go to someone who would take better care of it then I've been able to. Note it doesn't have a fuel tank and radiator had to be replaced (found another honeycomb radiator at a old junk yard in my state). 

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20230527_112649.jpg

IMG_20230527_112701.jpg

IMG_20230527_112651.jpg

Typically, I would answer you and say almost nothing. However, pick up trucks have a following that’s outside of my expertise. So it actually may be worth a little more than I would expect.   

Two important questions:

1. Clear title in your name?

2. Approximate location?

Did you find this one?   https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1935-chevrolet-pickup-morgantown-pa-2663755

Those guys sell a lot of stuff, generally high retail.   So a nice one is 30K or less.  It would take 100K to make yours look like this.     Hopefully someone that understands trucks better than me will chime in.  But I think if you cold get 1500 -2k  you would be doing very well.

116082287.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandmother gave me the old '36 Chevy tudoor they brought to the village after they moved off the farm. It was in about the same condition, doors tied with stockings, back seat missing in favor of space to carry milk cans. I had a lot of cousins but no one's nose was out of joint over me getting it.

My wife and I have talked about what will happen with my cars. A seriously family member will have first shot as a no strings gift, my first choice. If you are lucky there's a nutty kid that would like it. Probably learn they got in too deep like I did but I never retained any of that learning. I think the car is still around the area, rodded many years ago.

Let's hope it is not a significant part of the inheritance. Nice looking sticks for a shillelagh handle there. I could get in trouble with one of those. Reminds me of the time I gave my nephew a cane with a sword in it. My brother seems to be over that one.

012.jpg.226f2200e3ab67f17b20d0bbd6032563.jpg

• Like 1

I,m thinking it would be a fairly easy on the wallet  restoration especially to decent driver condition. 

There is no chrome to speak of, i,m guessing the only wood is in the doors. The upholstery is just one plain Jane seat, a card board head liner and a rubber floor mat. A later pressure lubed engine should fit without too much trouble. Body looks decent rust wise and it wouldn,t eat  much paint gallons wise. Hell, you could paint it Deere green or Ford blue with tractor Supply paint and it would  look great.

Be a fantastic project for a youngish guy trading his time for a  very presentable ride. Hell, in some counties it would even be a chick magnet. That truck, a nice yeller dog, and cold 6 pack

of PBR is all it would take.

Let them good times roll...bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I don’t want to be negative, but the pre 1936 GM pickups have a soft top that allows water in and there is lots of wood to be restored on this cab.  To name a few A pillars, B pillars, cross brace behind dash, back of cab and all roof bows not to mention the sills.  So really when you see someone totally redoing the wood in an old sedan this is the same except it has 2 less doors and is 5’ shorter.  Whenever I see a picture of a vehicle with the door tied up and it’s hanging low I think to myself “ the termites aren’t holding hands no more”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

For sure Bhigdog, I recently restored a 36 GMC that hardly had any wood in comparison and it drove me to drink, well actually I have owned that truck for 50 years and I was a underage drinker when I bought it, gee what does that say about me? Just kidding that was not a question !

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, WolfSige said:

How much do you think it's worth in this state?

Once you get the title into your name I'd list it for $3000 to 4000.  The wheels, box and clear title all add some pretty good value.  The one thing about selling is that you can always go down.  Trucks have a pretty good following and someone with a good cab would gladly swap that onto what you have.  There's a few around here that will criticize on a higher asking price but the one thing that I can guarantee is that you won't get what you don't ask for.  Good luck!   

• Like 5

As someone who's restored this same style chevy pickup ('34) I'm surprised at some of the comments and assumptions.  This is a high cab pickup and these trucks had full metal roofs, no cloth roofing, no wood roof bows. While there is wood consisting of A, B pillars, Sills, rear sill, and other pieces, the wood is not that difficult to make having personally made all the cab wood other than the doors which the owner was able to purchase to speed up the restoration time. The motor was rebuilt, truck painted, interior done, rear axle converted to a 37', modified to fit in the 34 frame, 3.55 gears installed, hydraulic brakes all around, and the 36 master cylinder pedal assembly added. Even with all the work mentioned the restoration was under $35K three to four years ago. 

If someone bought this truck, did the work themselves the most they could, bought a good used drop in engine, and just made a nice driver it could be done for less that the $35K. It depends on what someone wants ultimately.

These model trucks are desirable and many are still being restored currently. While this truck needs a bit, it is more than just a parts vehicle. There are 35 engines out there that are fully assembled and in running condition that can be bought for $500 as I just passed on one because I had no need for it. Wheels will probably be the hardest to find but everything else is pretty easy. I would think going by what I see these typically bringing in this condition you're looking at $4250 to $5500 as an asking price. If your sheet metal is good without much rust it will bring that to a die hard truck guy who's looking for his project. If the new buyer needs wood done, they can send me the cab and I can make it up. Don't give this truck away, they are bringing a fair value.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Once you get the title into your name I'd list it for $3000 to 4000.  The wheels, box and clear title all add some pretty good value.  The one thing about selling is that you can always go down.  Trucks have a pretty good following and someone with a good cab would gladly swap that onto what you have.  There's a few around here that will criticize on a higher asking price but the one thing that I can guarantee is that you won't get what you don't ask for.  Good luck!   

I think asking 3k with the "Best offer" attached to attract the buyers isn't a horrible strategy.   It may be hot rod material and instead of doing the wood it will be replaced with angle iron or the like.

• Like 2

I think I would list the truck for $5500. and see where the chips fall. I would be happy to get $4k. 

We had one just like that in our garage when I was much younger. Sat there for 10 years, Pop finally got tired of looking at it and gave it away. I doubt anything ever happened to it knowing the guy he gave it to, and all of these years later I have never seen another '35 locally. So either it went back to the earth or sold out of state. 

The story of it is the thing that makes AACA cringe. It was found in West Va. in a solid, complete condition. Trailered home, immediately parts were removed in anticipation of a street rod. A ford 302 motor along with a mustang front end. Then the project came to a screeching halt with a body full of rotten wood. Sits in the garage for 10 years and given away. Ironic part is we are all a family of woodworkers!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Be a fantastic project for a youngish guy trading his time for a  very presentable ride. Hell, in some counties it would even be a chick magnet. That truck, a nice yeller dog, and cold 6 pack

of PBR is all it would take.

Let them good times roll...bob

But once he got a taste for them city girls he would have to put a little more work into it like Jethro did, with a little imagination and a lot of determination anything is possible 

7791848378bed33cf3a2475fb1616286--jethro-beverly-hillbillies.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

Yes, but if it's delusional you won't get the chance to hold the conversation.

You don't know unless you try, who says it's delusional? it's not like it's a common truck. My friend is finishing up a restoration on one now and had a real tough time find  many of the parts that are on that truck

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

On 6/9/2023 at 9:45 AM, John348 said:

You don't know unless you try, who says it's delusional? it's not like it's a common truck. My friend is finishing up a restoration on one now and had a real tough time find  many of the parts that are on that truck

What parts did he have a hard time finding? I found most parts pretty easily. The wheels, original sheet metal radiator aprons, and original seat frames are the hardest parts. Most of everything else is repopped, including the bent side bed strips. There is a reproduction fuel tank that while it's not fully original, it fits in without issue and gets the job done. There is even brand new full sheet metal beds available. There were two of these chevys for sale recently in unrestored condition here in the New England area so they are out there in pretty good numbers. Bill Cartwright told me he's currently working on over a dozen complete wood orders for these pickups, so they are out there in pretty good numbers being restored and there are people out there who are restoring them. Again, don't give this one away. It's not a tudor or four door model sedan. I can tell you that while my wife says I have enough vehicles, she fell in love with the '34 Chevy I restored and even said that she wouldn't mine having one. These trucks appeal to many including the women. If I didn't have that many projects going already I would consider getting one for myself and doing it up the same way I did the other. It went easily down the road at highway speeds and stopped on a dime while still being extremely close to original and only the most knowledgeable could tell it wasn't 100% original. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, John348 said:

You can always lower a price, but you can't raise it once you start to sell it, so  I agree with Kerry, the truck is somewhat complete I would start at $6500 and go down from there

While I believe $6500 is a little high, it's not delusional as those who are honestly interested will still call. Adding "best offer" or "all offers considered" opens up the buyers to investigate what might appear as a high asking price. I used to raise rodeo roping cattle here in New England and once had the largest permanent herd in the area. I used Australian Cattle dogs or "healers" to help move my cattle and I raised and bred the breed going back 40years now. I was the first or one of the first breeds of them here in New England. They became very popular after one was featured with Mel Gibson in the movie Mad Max. The reason for this background is I saw an add for a blue male cattle dog with a price of $2500 in the old "Want Advertiser" pamphlet. This was an absurd price as I was selling pure bred, registered, foundation bred actual working dog pups for $2-300. The ad mentioned lots of obedience training which intrigued me as cattle dogs are very hard to train so I called the add and asked if the price was a mis-print. The owner of the dog's mother answered the phone and when she said it wasn't I said thank you and was prepared to hang up when she said wait, my son, a dog trainer purposely put the price that high hoping only someone knowledgeable in the breed would call. The son called me back and gave me the rundown on the dog explaining that he only wanted someone genuinely interested in the dog to call. I bought that dog for  $300 and he went on to sire a lot of my good working dogs allowing me to breed both red and blues. So a "too high" asking price doesn't stop potential buyers more than it stops the tire kickers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chistech said:

What parts did he have a hard time finding? I found most parts pretty easily. The wheels, original sheet metal radiator aprons, and original seat frames are the hardest parts. Most of everything else is repopped, including the bent side bed strips. There is a reproduction fuel tank that while it's not fully original, it fits in without issue and gets the job done. There is even brand new full sheet metal beds available. There were two of these chevys for sale recently in unrestored condition here in the New England area so they are out there in pretty good numbers. Bill Cartwright told me he's currently working on over a dozen complete wood orders for these pickups, so they are out there in pretty good numbers being restored and there are people out there who are restoring them. Again, don't give this one away. It's not a tudor or four door model sedan. I can tell you that while my wife says I have enough vehicles, she fell in love with the '34 Chevy I restored and even said that she wouldn't mine having one. These trucks appeal to many including the women. If I didn't have that many projects going already I would consider getting one for myself and doing it up the same way I did the other. It went easily down the road at highway speeds and stopped on a dime while still being extremely close to original and only the most knowledgeable could tell it wasn't 100% original. 

Seat frames and hardware

This truck is from bone dry Boise, Idaho. Like chistech said $5500 is not too much to ask. Any car builder knows the value of rust free sheet metal, and I’ll bet if the seller pulls the truck out and shoots good detailed photos of door edges, floors, cab corners and fenders this baby will be gone pronto!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John348 said:

Seat frames and hardware

If your friend was going for an OEM type restoration then trying to find original seat frames, as I mentioned, is a problem. It was a split bottom and I believe not very driver/passenger friendly. I’m willing to bet many were discarded in favor of something better. To still have a nice truck for driving and comfort, a bench seat will not deter any prospective buyers nor lower the value much. The same goes for the rear differential and brake mods i did on that 34. Those mods raised the drivability from a 35-40 mph old pickup to an everyday driving cool old looking pickup. If anything, those mods most likely not only raise the value but raise the number of prospective buyers when they go to sell it.

• Like 2

He finished it last year. he also has two 35 Suburban's he restored over the years so he is no stranger when it comes to locating difficult parts.  These trucks are out of my wheelhouse but I can only go by what he tells me, regardless, back to the OP's question it is a complete solid vehicle and both of us are in the same price range. I am more along the line of $6500, with an OBO  just to see where it goes, there might be an offer for 5K, there might not. Idaho is a little problem because it will become more costly to ship to most places combined with an in-op vehicle, and that will be a buyers negotiation tool, like I said the seller can always come down but seller can't go up.

So why don't we meet in the middle say $6000 is a good starting point? 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I’m not arguing with you, just questioning what parts he was having trouble finding as I was able to find parts pretty easily. I was actually agreeing that if one wants to do a OEM restoration, seat frames and wheels are the hard items to find.

• Like 1