For Sale: 1972 Buick LeSabre 4dr Sedan, 83K miles - $7,900 - Newton, IA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1972 Buick LeSabre 4dr Sedan, 83K miles - $7,900 - Newton, IA

Classic 1972 Buick LeSabre Collectors - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

Classic Buick LeSabre Collectors Car. My father bought this new in 1972. Only 83,790 original miles. Was used for the rare vacation trip and stored in the garage the rest of the time. Everything is original on this car. The AC is factory original but does need service. Everything else works great. This car was never in the snow so no rust. Rarely saw rain. V-8 350-4 engine Automatic transmission. Soft top is in excellent condition as well. $7900 or best offer. Cash sale only.
Copy and paste in your email: 418cd93f29d936e49ed6924795504014@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1972 Buick LeSabre 4dr Sedan.

'72 Buick LeSabre IA a.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA b.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA c.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA d.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA e.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA f.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA g.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA h.jpg

'72 Buick LeSabre IA i.jpg

• Like 5

I personally think the body style looks great. A good era for full sized Buicks; it's a pre-5 mph bumper design and I think that simpler 4 door sedan of that year looks better than the more glitzy Electra 225. Not totally crazy about the paint color, but if it's an original color I'd definitely not change it.

When did they start putting those clear plastic/acrylic hood windshields (or whatever they're called) on the front of cars? I seem to remember seeing them more in the mid to late '70's than the early '70's. Would that have been available as a dealer add on in '72? I don't really care for them, but I'd leave it on if it came from the dealer like that...and I suppose they did reduce rock damage to the front of the hood.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, JamesR said:

When did they start putting those clear plastic/acrylic hood windshields (or whatever they're called) on the front of cars? 

I don't know the date, James.  I have known them 

as "bug deflectors."  I don't think they offer much

stone protection, but they are supposed to keep bugs

from hitting the windshield.

If that example is screwed or clamped onto the sheet metal,

it may have damaged the paint.  I don't think it dates to 1972.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:44 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I don't know the date, James.  I have known them 

as "bug deflectors."  I don't thick they offer much

stone protection, but they are supposed to keep bugs

from hitting the windshield.

If that example is screwed or clamped onto the sheet metal,

it may have damaged the paint.  I don't think it dates to 1972.

This appears to be the "Deflecta-Shield" brand bug deflector.  Yes, these were frequently installed by new car dealers at owner request.  A similar one was installed on my family's 1971 Buick Centurion, and our next-door neighbor had one installed on his 1971 Mercury Marquis.  These were created to fit the frontal contours of each make and model.  These were at their peak popularity in about 1972, and we found them to be very effective in terms of preventing bug splatters on the windshield, as well as minimizing rock chips to the front of the hood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I still think it’s priced high. The 350 and TH350 should be fine but I doubt service records will be available.  You are still dealing with a 50+ year old car, from Iowa. 

Few are going to make this their collections top prize.  It’s a great 2nd or 3rd car to rotate in.  I think it’s a $3500 car.  

I have purchased at least 6 low mileage early 70’s Buicks. One was a 27,000 mile 72 Electra for $1,500.  Drove it to a buyer in Oklahoma and had no issues.  

Had a 73 Electra with 67,000 original miles, drove it and showed it. 

So, I’m not too keen on a nearly $8,000 pillared LESabre.  $3500 seems right. 

$3500 is market for 15 years ago.  I think the seller is in the ballpark. 

I have to say, the 4 door sedans are the MOST comfortable and solid driving "old" cars I've ever driven.  I've had a handful of the 4 door sedans and have loved them all.  Even the high mileage ones.  They are so solid and quiet.  If this was a 71, I would be on it like stink on ****.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

If this was a 71, I would be on it like stink on ****.

Get the car, paint the wheels to match the body, install year-correct Buick dogbowls with blackwalls and go stealthing down the highway!:ph34r:

Appears to be plenty of car for the money. A similar Delta 88 sedan in same color combo but less miles showed up on an Olds forum last year and sold for $7k. It was a 455 car, but in the world of nice older sedans that shouldn't make much difference.

Think the buyer wanted it for a nice tow car for his 60s 442. It would easily have been up to that task.

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

A similar Delta 88 sedan... Think the buyer wanted it for a nice tow car for his 60s 442.

And here we get a hint why cars like the Buick sedan 

and the Olds sedan are so seldom seen.  People will

cherish convertibles, which are plentiful, or Olds 442's,

which are available by the dozen every day, but fail to see

the merits of preserving a pristine 50-year-old sedan.

Use it as a tow vehicle;  gradually wear it out?

It's nice to see examples of ALL automotive history survive--

not just the top one or two glamour models of a 20-model product line!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the asking price (with the "or best offer" phrase) isn't out of line...IF the car is as nice as it appears to be in the ad. If the seller is true to the spirit of taking offers, I'd guess he's already received a few, with some probably over 5 grand. He might be waiting for the best one over a two week period or something.  $3500 would be low wholesale for the flippers.

Ok guys we will see.  The one aspect of Facebook marketplace I prefer over the old Craigslist is that I can save an item.  I have seen quite a few like this go unsold for months or even over a year. Some simply drop off, removed by the seller.  So we will see.  With this CL ad costing $5 a month we will see where it goes.  

I have owned a lot of 4 door models John.  Cadillac, Buick, Imperial- all made nice looking 4 door models. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1