Locomobiles in Competition

alsfarms

Set the final locations of body mounts, steering coulomb mounting, E brake, and toe board, dash board structures.

Hood former and hood sill located to get hood shape set.

I am still considering final cowl angle.
Do I drop it to more closely match the hood angle or keep it steeper than ?

Either way making progress slow but sure.

image.jpeg.c08ac2a4f829fb2264df0857a1d0e192.jpegimage.jpeg.9a3b64a6684542bab0c7639b1b828aad.jpegimage.jpeg.ded4ea21b18a25859bd32c2da2ddcde7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I did decide to shave 1" off the top rear of the cowl.

This was not an easy decision being it required removing and replacing the 3 top stations, planning and recontouring then steam bending and adding material to the lower edge. 

It was time to consider the addition of a windshield and how to approach it's design.

The double tilt original windshield post felt to busy and tall for the body so I cut welded and filed the lower pivot location and plan to have the lower panel fixed with a tilting upper (6.5") panel.

The resulting design has a 15+- degree rake, is 8.5" tall at the center with the trailing edge in alignment with the top of the cowl.

As always critique and comments appreciated.  

image.jpeg.467050eae89660a7568e9ddffc6771f1.jpegimage.jpeg.b42ff012132632a589e1e850e036a598.jpegimage.jpeg.b044463dbdcb66f65927e6d13cf50817.jpeg

KIMG2935.JPG

KIMG2934.JPG

Edited by rydersclassics (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm impressed at your attention to detail, form and function, and style. Too many specials, speedsters, and new one off's have glaring short cuts to save time and money. The extra effort will pay off tenfold. I would guess one in ten speedsters are really done well......this one is exceptionally well thought out. The very rare three thumbs up for your efforts and craftsmanship. Ed.  👍👍👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Steve, I echo what Ed has suggested. Attention to the big as well as the small details are what separate mediocre work from true craftsmanship. Keep up the good work. Your attention to the chosen windshield posts for this project reminded me about a Locomobile 48 windshield post I have. A while back I bought a parts car that must have had a special body treatment to utilize this pictured windshield post. The rear fenders are configured to accommodate a close coupled design. Notice the rake of this post which is very similar to what you are using.

Al

IMG_20240604_082118719_HDR.jpg.c729847e630f2f3e80e61cbe1b7b9862.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One thing, what's done is done, but I would suggest getting some help and sitting in the driver's seat, you and your wife, and having someone measure the top of your head in relation to the top of the windshield. You want the top of the windshield to be above your head. The wind coming over the top of the windshield can become quiet tiring very quickly. You can make something look very pretty, but if it doesn't function well, you've got a problem. Also, I'm sure you've set in the seat and checked the function of the pedals? If you're going to drive this thing, it needs to be comfortable.

My two cents.

• Like 2

Thanks for the two cents and to your points.

Originally I didn't intend to have a windshield, then plans evolved with the hopes of driving more than previously thought.  

The dream is to drive her many miles!

Even a top could eventually happen.

Having ridden motorcycles extensively your point regarding windshield high is spot on. 

My rule of thumb was I could ride anything 100 miles through bugs or rain, beyond that I want a windshield. It's amazing the difference 1" of height makes in comfort and visibility.

We have been in and out a few times to get a good feeling about this height it feels good with some margin in seat cushion thickness. 

With size 12 feet I'm good in sneakers or everyday shoes, work boots not so much on the clutch pedal. The break and accelerator pedal locations are great.           

I will admit at this advancing age throwing a leg over my bike or getting in and out of this thing isn't as easy as it once was. Once in I'm comfortable.

"It's better to look good than to feel good, and darling, you look marvelous!"

Ferdando Lamas was also born in 1915. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Steve and all,

Here's two contemporary pictures of a gunboat and another speedster, possibly the same woman in the speedster but a different one than I showed ~6 months ago, courtesy BHC.

- Dan.

loco2.jpg

loco3.jpg

• Like 4

Dan,

Your efforts continue to unearth fantastic historical photos!

The wire wheels, unusual swooping European style fenders with side mount spares give it good proportions and set this Gunboat apart from any other I have seen. So rakish!

A great example of Locomobile's determination to build whatever a customer desired.

Normally the rear mounted spares feel most appropriate, regardless I do love this one.

And, another early chain drive speedster.

It's baffling to me that so many of these great automobiles have been erased by time. 

Thank you.  

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rydersclassics said:

Dan,

Your efforts continue to unearth fantastic historical photos!

No problem. I'm interested in uncovering history. I've been through 17 of the 70+ boxes and even found a new file for Durant-built cars I want to look at. Supposedly this contains a bunch of blueprints. At any rate I am now 15 minutes away so if anyone has a specific technical issue, part, or question to be answered let me know and I can see if I can find out if it exists. Just PM me. To date I have not found body framing blueprints or large assembly prints (mostly small components, bolts, flanges, waterpump gears, pins, some electrical schematics from the 1910-1917 range). There is extensive documentation of testing of tires, magnetos, gears, crankshafts... from the Experimental Dept, but only 1915-1917 and without usually documenting final decisions as to what made it into production.). I am also attempting to document an inventory. What is listed on-line is pretty close but a few gems exist which are not mentioned.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2024 at 2:51 PM, prewarnut said:

Steve and all,

Here's two contemporary pictures of a gunboat and another speedster, possibly the same woman in the speedster but a different one than I showed ~6 months ago, courtesy BHC.

- Dan.

loco2.jpg

loco3.jpg

Thank you for the great photographs! Spectacular. Observation only. Since it does not have a back seat for two passengers, it may not have been referred to as a "Gunboat" in the day.

• Like 2

The second photo above is of the Harold Thomas commissioned car and I believe that may be Harold looking over it. This car was the impetus for the two 1906 race cars. This car, built in 1905, has a 7x7 b&s motor that is an enlarged version of a stock motor. 

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Do we have any photos of A L to compare this with? It would be nice to identify this man. I haven’t been able to find pictures of Harold. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prewarnut said:

Early trophies - electric class. I have to delete the electric racer photo as it has an attribution on back

If it is a period photo it is safely old enough to be public domain.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mechanician said:

If it is a period photo it is safely old enough to be public domain.

Unfortunately the back is stamped from The Henry Ford - not for use without written permission. Not sure how it got to the BHC archives and not sure they know but PM me if really interested and I can send.

3 hours ago, AHa said:

Do we have any photos of A L to compare this with? It would be nice to identify this man. I haven’t been able to find pictures of Harold. 

It might be one of these guys....

20240628_122922.jpg

• Like 1

There are several anomalies. The man overlooking the car appears older and heavier set than either of the two guys depicted above, though the guy on the right appears to have the same or similar black hair. The man overlooking the car appears to have a mustache while neither of the two men above do. The driver above is likely one of the drivers hired to do that job and not Harold or A L.

If you're asking about Andrew L. Riker, I'm pretty sure the larger man is him. He was a bit big, had a little bit of wavy hair. He always maintained a mustache. He was usually dressed in a dark suit or coat in most photos (excepting his yachting). He was chief engineer and directly in charge of racing so inspecting the racer would be the norm. The race driver's were more lean. Here's a picture of him from his album with (I believe) his daughter Charlotte. As to Harold on a quick tour through period newspapers I couldn't find a photo posted.

20240628_105103.jpg

Yes, I would have to agree, the man is AL Riker. I can find a lot of information concerning Harold Thomas but no photos and no obit. It's funny because at the time, factory workers thought he was a figment of A L's imagination, just an excuse to build the racer. But the man existed. His father was a civil war veteran and made millions in the railroad industry. He had one brother and a sister, all according to newspaper articles of the time. Of course, the journalist also reported that Harold was the brother of the man who built Thomas motor cars. That fact is bogus. Then, as in now, accuracy was not important in newspaper or magazine.

• Like 1

I'll keep Harold Thomas on my mind in the future to see if I can find clear references.

The need for speed starts early. This appears to me to be in front of A.L. Riker's barn/garage in Fairfield, CT - photos probably not seen by many modern eyes. Courtesy BHC.

20240628_110600.jpg

20240628_110550.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

As I understand it, the Dragones have one of A L's early electric cars. Does anyone have a picture?

This is just conjecture with some factual basis, but I believe Harold Thomas fell out of favor with Andrew Riker early on. Harold had received a huge settlement from his father after his death and immediately contacted Locomobile to build a race car, after racing stock Locos around Chicago. Locomobile first thought to price Harold out  by putting a price of $18,000 on the build but Harold wired the first installment over night. I believe, this is where A. L. came into the picture. Being the chief engineer at Loco, it fell to Riker to design and build the car and Loco had to build it by contract. From A.L.'s electric car days, we see his appreciation for race cars, so this contract fell right into his lane. As the car was designed and built and began to be tested, A.L. took on ownership. This was his baby. But Harold Thomas took offense of Riker's control and exerted his ownership. It seems that this is where Riker jumped ship and decided Locomobile needed to build two race cars that would be under his control. We hear nothing or very little of the 1905 car afterwards. It seems like Andrew tried to wipe history clean for the two 1906 cars.

Now, I'm not suggesting anything derogatory. This is all just human nature and smart business sense. The 1905 car, though a product of the Locomobile factory, was not Locomobile property. Plus, Andrew had enlarged a stock motor to 7"x7" bore and stroke but used a stock transmission, which could not handle the added stress. As a good engineer, Andrew would have realized early on a new approach was needed and the two 1906 cars were completely redesigned.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So the Locomobile uses the same cup bearings as the model T? Its a shame someone is not reproducing these. I understand the conversion to modern bearings is simple, but as of yet, I have not seen it. It should be simple to make a cup out of 4340 steel. There was a guy in California making new cups but he closed during Covid.

• Like 2