Rehabilitating a 38 Cadillac V16 that has not been running for over 30 years

Robert G. Smits

This is in a 90 Series  parts car I purchased non running in the early 90’s. I am planning to fill the cylinders with lubricant for a few weeks before trying to see if it is stuck. My thoughts are Marvel Mystery Oil versus a mix of ATF and Acetone.  Any recommendations appreciated 

• Like 1

I've used both with roughly comparable success-

Good Luck !

and let us know how you fare -

also pictures of your project and ongoing progress are appreciated

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

This is in a 90 Series  parts car I purchased non running in the early 90’s. I am planning to fill the cylinders with lubricant for a few weeks before trying to see if it is stuck. My thoughts are Marvel Mystery Oil versus a mix of ATF and Acetone.  Any recommendations appreciated 

@Robert G. Smits

I've used both with roughly comparable success-

Good Luck !

and let us know how you fare -

also pictures of your project and ongoing progress are appreciated

I have revived several engines that sat for up to 30 years but never a V16 Cadillac. Am interested to hear what the real experts have to say.

Oiling up the cylinders is a good start. You could also remove the valve covers and check for stuck valves. Except this is not so easy on a flathead like yours.

• Like 1

John I have no evidence that it is stuck but certainly worried after 30 years.   The parts car is a 4 door sedan used to restore the convertible which sat outside with the top down, hood off and heads lying on the ground for 7 years in the Maine. Multiple parts missing including the side panels and grill. 

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

• Like 8

Very nice!  Send us some pictures of that beautiful car out with top down and motoring.

As for the parts car, let us know what you do and what success you have.  I am always interested in hearing about cars long dormant that are woken back up.

• Like 2

Hi Robert, I'd say to first use straight [ Concrete Cleaner ] Phosphoric Acid right out of the plastic jug. It only dissolves Rust. Let it sit in the cylinders for about a week or two then pump it out and let dry. Then you can put in your Marvelous Oils. Phosphoric Acid will also remove some of the oil that might be in the cylinders. You can use either a shopvac or a manual oil suction tool. You may also want to contact "Jay Leno's" garage or "Wayne Carini" from chasing classic cars as his shop may have wise insight into what should & shouldn't be done. God Bless and Best Wishes

'

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who replied and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  My 14 y/o triplet grandsons have side tracked me to a new project, getting a 66 Mustang convert back on the road.  Anytime the boys get interested in a car project I drop anything else I am doing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 4:48 PM, Andy J said:

I don't blame you Robert,for making time for you grandsons. I have three granddaughters and my time with them is worth more than any car will ever be.

We put the two together. 

We take our grandsons 8 & 5 years old on car tours with us. 

The oldest has already been on 6 tours and his younger brother is also going with us this year. 

We are currently scheduled to go on at least 3 tours with the two this summer.  Charleston, SC, Alabama, and Ohio for openers, one week tours each.

• Like 1