Engine runs, clutch does not disengage

Rick George

Good evening.  As some of you know, I removed my 32 57s engine to have a connecting rod repaired.  By some miracle I was able to put it back together and get it running. Hooray for me.  However, now the clutch doesn't disengage.  I've tried adjusting the clutch pedal bolt, but I can't get it working.  I'm 99 percent certain that the clutch plate was installed correctly.  I labeled it when I removed it.  Still, I could have made a mistake.  How can I tell if the clutch plate is installed correctly?  Also, should I be looking at any other possible solutions to my problem?  Thanks in advance.  

Screenshot_20230528_233550_Gallery.jpg

@nat, why would "flipping the disk" cause this problem?  I know just for general right and wrong you would put the clutch disk and pressure plate back just like they came off, but I can see no reason it would cause the clutch not to work properly. It may drag a bit due to wear, but it would still work and wear in quickly.

@Rick George, I know nothing specific about your 32, but general clutch operation is very simple. I would start by looking at the pressure plate release motion while the engine is off and someone is operating the clutch for you. Later Buicks had several adjustments for the clutch which effect the amount of pressure plate movement. Generally it only causes drag, but......

2 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

@nat, why would "flipping the disk" cause this problem? 

Most discs are flatter on the flywheel side than the pressure plate side so that the springs and flywheel bolts clear each other.

I don't know how the 32 Buick is made.

If there is a removable cover on the bottom of the bell housing, look up to see if any of the splined disc hub is visible on the transmission side of the disc.  Along with keeping the springs/hub separate from the flywheel, there is more room for the splined input shaft connection on the pressure plate side.  Have an assistant depress the pedal while you watch from below.  If the pressure plate moves clear of the disc but the disc can't be moved, (independently  of the flywheel), with a screw driver or pointy thing while the transmission is in neutral then the pressure plate is disengaging but something else is locking the flywheel and plate.

If you have no removable cover on the bell housing bottom it will be a mirror job through the clutch release arm or starter hole in the bell housing.

I recommend you just tear it apart. Even working on the floor using jack stands, the clutch should be out in less than four hours………and much less if you have done it before. Rule of thumb means it should be an easy fix…….but seldom do problems like this turn out to be easy, especially if you’re a weekend shady tree mechanic. Obviously the problem is a mechanical issue…..which requires disassembly………too many people get distracted by the “I have to take it all apart again” issue. Jump in and pull it apart……you may get lucky and have it apart and back together in the same day.

• Like 4

Rick,

Have you had a chance to go back through the clutch adjustment procedure on page 43 of the manual to confirm the lever isn't bottomed out?

@Robert Engle is probably the best to help with this since he has spent a lot of time with the 32-5x cars, hopefully he can help chime in.

Attached are photos of my 32-60 clutch, note the shallow splined hub side goes to the flywheel side as @nat mentioned.

Check out the sectional view on page 47 of the manual as well.

There is no way to inspect this clutch other than to take but a peak by removing the shifter and looking inside the bell housing to see if the throwout bearing has full stroke to depress the pressure plate levers.

I painted my throwout carrier red for high vis for future inspections.

You can try to sneak an endoscope into the bell housing on the side, but its difficult to get a good angle for a trustworthy confirmation of function.

Did you confirm the pressure plate levers were at the correct height and equal per manual pages 48-49?

I had to adjust my lever elevations and got them all within 0.001".

Did you take photos of the pressure plate housing after it was reinstalled on the flywheel to confirm it was seated?

Do you have any photos of your clutch and pressure plate?

Edit - the clutch plate direction is poke yoke, cannot be installed backwards, at least in the 60 series, because I tried for my learning. 

The bolts aren't long enough to even get started because the pressure plate housing is too far away from the flywheel.

I suppose in theory, if 100lbs of force were applied to the pressure plate springs/levers to compress them, then the housing bolts might reach the flywheel with a reversed clutch plate hub.

image.jpeg.96ae0461eb2a7b219842990c0b655d62.jpegimage.jpeg.321513f773fc719f4037e8c8422c90a6.jpegimage.jpeg.ab2a0298c09ac35756369c8392fcb348.jpeg20221104_143510.jpg.5803526eec5b52f2d7feee591c46bc02.jpg20221104_143541.jpg.3a26f927978962d87754f0a5a356c8ae.jpg

Edited by 32buick67 (see edit history)

Either the disk is in backwards or the second possibility is that the release bearing assembly dropped out of the fork that moves the release bearing assembly.  You can also remove the top plate that contains the lubricator tube for the release bearing.  If it is the release bearing assembly, the clutch pedal should move very easily as it would not apply pressure to the forks to release the clutch plate.  For the clutch plate to be in backwards, It should have jammed the clutch pedal so it would not move.  Either problem will require removing the transmission or pulling the engine.  Not a 3 hour job on the torque drive transmission removal or  pulling the engine.  

Bob Engle

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

Not a 3 hour job on the torque drive transmission removal or  pulling the engine.  

Oh crap.  I guess I should have a look at the clutch before I put the rear axle back in.

I wanted to put some things together, not take more apart.

Ok, I'm staying out of this one. But I really really want to go on and on about how one should just EXPECT to do just about everything at least twice before we actually get it back together correctly. And about how if one is only willing (or expecting) to take it apart once, then he (or she) is really not a true gear head. But I won't say any of those things and will politely keep my mouth shut.           But only this once.    

Oh, and your 32 looks sweet

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/31/2023 at 9:25 PM, EmTee said:

Good news is it generally goes quicker the second time!

That's depressing.  I wasn't super exited about doing it once.

I don't know what's going on with gravity but all this stuff seems to weigh a lot more than it did fifty years ago.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...