Unique descriptive words and phrases used within the hobby

Fordy

Working with old cars I often get the "pleasure" of stripping off that hard compacted combination of grease dirt and oil that seems to defy all efforts to remove it but simply stays where it is and seems to be taunting me with "Keep trying buddy, I've been here for 100 years and I aint moving now".

So that got me wondering - is there a word or phrase that describes this stuff?

You know what I mean. Something that when you get asked what you have been doing and you can reply "dealing with ????" and the enquirer will instantly know your pain.

What other words and phrases are out there?

We have "tin worm" for rust issues

"Prince of darkness" for Lucas electrical problems.

There must be more and if not let's get creative and add to the dictionary by inventing some. - Let the fun begin.

• Like 1

“P O S” comes to mind.  I first heard this term used by a female caller on the old “Car Talk” radio show in describing her car.  I think I have since heard it in a movie and a TV program.

Another is “roller”, often used in describing used tires for sale, as in “good for a roller project car”.

One I hate is “bulletproof”, used as a synonym for “robust”, often in describing transmission, for some reason.  Who shoots bullets at their transmission?

And how about “clean title”?  I suppose as opposed to a dirty title?  I think it means lien-free title, or unencumbered title, in precise terms.

of course, everyone knows what a “stuck” engine means, as well as an “unstuck” engine.

Edited by Akstraw
Added info (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Fordy said:

Working with old cars I often get the "pleasure" of stripping off that hard compacted combination of grease dirt and oil that seems to defy all efforts to remove it but simply stays where it is and seems to be taunting me with "Keep trying buddy, I've been here for 100 years and I aint moving now".

So that got me wondering - is there a word or phrase that describes this stuff?

You know what I mean. Something that when you get asked what you have been doing and you can reply "dealing with ????" and the enquirer will instantly know your pain.

The correct term for this stuff is "Road Grime." It is a mix of oil, grease, and coolant that has leaked out and dust, dirt, and sometimes road oil, or asphalt, before it has cooled enough to stay stuck to the road. Mineral Spirits works well to remove it but be prepared to get really dirty as the layers come off. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

The correct term for this stuff is "Road Grime." It is a mix of oil, grease, and coolant that has leaked out and dust, dirt, and sometimes road oil, or asphalt, before it has cooled enough to stay stuck to the road. Mineral Spirits works well to remove it but be prepared to get really dirty as the layers come off. 

Whatever it is, the last thing I worked on needed a hammer and chisel to shift the worst of it, followed by scraping and sandblasting. Even then it resisted as every time a new "oily / greasy" layer got exposed the grit had no effect! Evil nasty stuff. - if only some of the paints you want to stick would hang on that well!

The military need to research it for tank Armour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I call that stuff "Early Undercoating". When I removed 90 years of it from the chassis of my 1931 Chevrolet about 10 years ago, the steel frame was like new, even had 90\% of the original Japanese black paint, and the painted stencils. While it was indeed a big job to get it all off, it did wonders to protect the steel. I sometimes pondered just why I was removing it, as it was in areas likely to never be seen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Rust free.

Does that mean the rust comes with the car at no additional charge?

And they show a car coated in a layer of rust! lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Akstraw said:

P O S” comes to mind.

That is an acronym for "Point Of Service" used in the retail business for electronic cash registers. Our local diner uses a service that has a van emblazoned with "We service P. O. S. equipment". I was leaving from having coffee one afternoon and told the service man "I saw the sign of your truck. I have serviced a lot of the same type of equipment". He always smiles and says hello now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh-we could go on and on...

I've got a few. and some are really much hated!  The word 'Vintage" should be removed from the English language!  When I see it, it instantly registers as a "rip-off" kind of term that to the seller means "you figure out how old it really is." To me, it means the seller is trying to wiggle out of their responsibility to know what they are selling, or they are intentional being deceitful.  It's seen frequently used to describe fake collectables  

Another one that I've learned the hard way is "Surface Rust."  In my experience, the more of that "surface" you sand and grind only reveals new rusted surface.  I guess the "surface" of those deep rust pits is still considered "surface"??? 

As long as you are not country-specific, the British have some excellent words and terms that sometimes leave us Yanks totally befuddled.  Example - it's always been curious to me where radio antenna holes are drilled on MGBs.  Some are on the left, some on the right.  Some are in the cowl, some in the fender.   Talking to an MGB expert, a Brit with actual dealer experience, he explained it nicely.  The radios and components were always dealer installed.  They came wrapped up in the truck (boot).  Along with all that stuff was a template showing where the antenna hole should be located.  It was described in "Brit-speak" indicating whether the hold should be drilled "nearside" or "offside."  American dealers had no idea what that meant so they tossed out the template and just drilled holes where they figured they should be. 

Another term found commonly in British service manuals is "reassembly is the opposite of disassembly."   I guess it's intended to save ink and paper in the printing process.  In reality though, it assumes that what was disassembled was originally properly assembled in the first place.  having restored or worked on a number of MGs over the years, I'm always left wondering how they did that to begin with!  Common to a lot of cars is the fact many chassis components were assembled before the body or other major components were ever installed.  Right now, I'm finishing up a complete brake system restoration on our 1948 MGTC.  Correct routing of all the new pipes is nicely documented but, it was all originally done with no body on the chassis.  Sure would make life much easier that way.

See if you can decipher the following British terms-

Dizzy

Boot

Bonnet

Spanner

Lump

Wing

Knock-off

Mudguard

Windscreen

Chubby box

Track rod

Accumulator

Dynamo

Gudgeon pin

Damper

Half-Shaft

Scuttle

Silencer

Trunnion

Tickoverr

Split pin

Quarterlite

Mole Wrench

etc.etc.etc.etc. 

• Like 3

You can add "splined Muff" to the British terms. "Take spanner twixt thumb and forefinger and offer it up to the splined muff", as I recall.

Not all British cars have splined muffs, but Jags sure do.

41 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

It was described in "Brit-speak" indicating whether the hold should be drilled "nearside" or "offside." 

That reminds me of a story about an unbadged car on a street in a village. Admirers were trying to figure out what it was when a bystander looking at the wire wheels shouted out "It's an UNDO!"

• Haha 1

Dizzy

Fairly easy for us Aussies it's the Yank terms that stump us!

Boot = Trunk

Bonnet = Hood

Spanner = Wrench

Lump = Bloody big hammer

Wing = Fender

Knock-off = A copy of a component OR the type of wheel fixing

Mudguard = Fender

Windscreen = Wind shield 

Chubby box - never heard that one but take a guess at "glove compartment".

Track rod = Tie rod end

Accumulator = Battery

Dynamo = Generator

Gudgeon pin - not sure what you call it but it's the pin connecting the piston to the conrod

Damper = Shock Absorber

Half-Shaft = A driven axle shaft - a non-driven one is a Stub Axle

Scuttle = Firewall

Silencer = Muffler

Trunnion - Again not sure what you call it, but I have ball and Trunnion universal joints in a Hupmobile and Trunnions on the lower wishbones of a Triumph front end

Tickoverr = Idling speed of the motor

Split pin = Cotter pin

Quarterlite = The small glass panes in the doors either in front or behind the main glass and either fixed or opening

Mole Wrench - again a guess but I would translate it to Aussie English as "Shifter" which here is an adjustable wrench and not the gear change!

• Thanks 1

Lump is common slang for the engine. Pulling the lump = removing the engine. Mole wrench = vise grips.

Terry

• Like 1

Overnight I managed to coin a word for the stubborn filth in my original post. I'm calling it "Muckcrete" since it is Muck that has gone as hard as Concrete. Sometimes its stupid things like that that will keep you awake at night.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That is an acronym for "Point Of Service" used in the retail business for electronic cash registers. Our local diner uses a service that has a van emblazoned with "We service P. O. S. equipment". I was leaving from having coffee one afternoon and told the service man "I saw the sign of your truck. I have serviced a lot of the same type of equipment". He always smiles and says hello now.

Nope, that was not the intended meaning in the references I had in mind.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Akstraw said:

“P O S” comes to mind.  I first heard this term used by a female caller on the old “Car Talk” radio show in describing her car.  I think I have since heard it in a movie and a TV program.

Another is “roller”, often used in describing used tires for sale, as in “good for a roller project car”.

One I hate is “bulletproof”, used as a synonym for “robust”, often in describing transmission, for some reason.  Who shoots bullets at their transmission?

And how about “clean title”?  I suppose as opposed to a dirty title?  I think it means lien-free title, or unencumbered title, in precise terms.

of course, everyone knows what a “stuck” engine means, as well as an “unstuck” engine.

Ok, off topic but sometimes I just can’t believe what people say vrs what they think they mean. 
A hot water heater! Just don’t understand why anyone would call it that. If it’s hot water, why the heck would you need a heater for it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/26/2023 at 7:27 PM, Akstraw said:

“P O S” comes to mind.

12 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

2 hours ago, Akstraw said:

Nope, that was not the intended meaning in the references I had in mind.

Sometime back in the 2000s I was on a random IT job as a subcontractor in a bank or a post office or something like that, and they had a bunch of PCs branded "Real POS". I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I took pictures. I probably still have them, but not easy to get to, I imagine they are on a floppy disk. This pic from the web shows you about what they were like. Some googling shows NCR still makes a line of "Real POS" PCs for cash register use, but they don't seem to be emphasizing the brand anymore, in fact I had trouble finding a picture. I wonder why?  :D

1311831883845-0-1.jpg?fit=2048,1536&ssl=

• Haha 2

On 5/27/2023 at 10:28 AM, Terry Bond said:

As long as you are not country-specific, the British have some excellent words and terms that sometimes leave us Yanks totally befuddled. 

In the 1980's I had a Skoda 120GLS brochure that must have been loosely translated to British English from Czech.  A couple of my favorite descriptions:

'Non-corrosible plastisol wheel embellishers' and 'Textile front seats that recline into berths'.

Craig

I once owned a 1966 Datsun 1600 sports car.  I bought a shop manual.  For some (I forget what) procedure, it said:  "Turn off ignition and wait until motor becomes stagnant."  I wondered how long it would take to grow moss and fungus on a warm Datsun engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"In the style of" usually used on Full Classics that are not real. 

"Good for the age" means it is going to need a full restoration. 

"Museum Quality" means absolutely nothing.

"Concours Quality" means absolutely nothing, I have stood next to cars a Concours D'Elegance that need complete restorations.

"Adult Owned" usually used to describe heavily abused performance cars.

"Jay Leno is going to buy it if you don't" used by sellers with no chance of pawning their mess off on anybody.

"Man its cool" used by brokers who have no idea what else to say because they were selling atv's or used boats last week and just got in the "game".

"They all did that" used to explain away obvious mechanical problems by someone hoping that you are more stupid than them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2023 at 1:59 PM, Fordy said:

Dizzy

Fairly easy for us Aussies it's the Yank terms that stump us!

Boot = Trunk

Bonnet = Hood

Spanner = Wrench

Lump = Bloody big hammer

Wing = Fender

Knock-off = A copy of a component OR the type of wheel fixing

Mudguard = Fender

Windscreen = Wind shield 

Chubby box - never heard that one but take a guess at "glove compartment".

Track rod = Tie rod end

Accumulator = Battery

Dynamo = Generator

Gudgeon pin - not sure what you call it but it's the pin connecting the piston to the conrod

Damper = Shock Absorber

Half-Shaft = A driven axle shaft - a non-driven one is a Stub Axle

Scuttle = Firewall

Silencer = Muffler

Trunnion - Again not sure what you call it, but I have ball and Trunnion universal joints in a Hupmobile and Trunnions on the lower wishbones of a Triumph front end

Tickoverr = Idling speed of the motor

Split pin = Cotter pin

Quarterlite = The small glass panes in the doors either in front or behind the main glass and either fixed or opening

Mole Wrench - again a guess but I would translate it to Aussie English as "Shifter" which here is an adjustable wrench and not the gear change!

Gudgeon pin = wrist pin

Trunion = trunion. Some old Ramblers had a trunion front suspension and some cars had a ball and trunion universal joint.

Light = window as in "Six Light Saloon"

Saloon = sedan. A Saloon has quite a different meaning in the US if you have ever watched any old Western movies.

Mole wrench = Vise grips

King Dick spanner = adjustable wrench

G cramp = C clamp

light = lamp. If you call windows lights, it makes sense to call headlights head lamps in a twisted way.

Tram = street car or trolley car