odd "mercury switch" i bought.

TheCatOfAges

26 minutes ago, TerryB said:

It’s most likely a switch that contains a small amount of liquid mercury to operate.  When you tilt the switch the mercury inside will make the switch make contact.  

it only has one wire, does it switch ground?

59 minutes ago, roysboystoys said:

Usually for hood or trunk light. Grounds the base side of bulb. You can test it with an ohmmeter.

i figured it outz it gives ground. i simply need a socket with an external ground wire to route to it.

i want a trunk light in my '57 ford fairlane, and figured a '61-65ish ford truck dome light would work perfectly, mounted on the particle shelf, with this as the switch to give ground.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sagefinds said:

One drawback to a mercury switch,in freezing weather the mercury freezes solid and dudn't work so good anymore.

Only below - 40. 

• Like 1

I suggest you test this mercury switch for proper operation BEFORE bothering to install it. I've found many of these used 50-75-year-old mercury switches aren't in working condition these days. This problem is electrical, and not related to temperature. John

10 hours ago, Oldtech said:

Only below - 40. 

I was watching a science show many years ago,the guy poured mercury into a mold the shape of a hammer,froze it and then pounded a nail into a board with it. I don't know what temp he froze it at but that kind of always stuck with me.

21 minutes ago, Jolly_John said:

I suggest you test this mercury switch for proper operation BEFORE bothering to install it. I've found many of these used 50-75-year-old mercury switches aren't in working condition these days. This problem is electrical, and not related to temperature. John

at about a 45-65 degree angle the ohm meter reads about 9 ohms. should work.

• Like 1

As info:

My 50's outbard motors have mercury switches, levers in correct position to start.

Cant be bothered with freezing  to much as Mercury freezes at -37.894 F. 

Probably does not bother old car operations for most of us in USA.