How do you remove the tire from a Dodge Brothers Disk Rim?

Step one.

Be very aware that it can be extremely dangerous if not done properly.

Safety should be the number one priority.

The wheel has what is called a split ring sitting in a groove holding the tyre on the wheel.

IMG_0250.jpeg.85259232af1a9a9e1810ada224311f33.jpeg

Dismantling.

Once the tyre has been deflated leave the valve out.

inserting a tyre lever or large screw driver into the ring cut out, prise the ring outwards (towards the tyre) to clear the groove it seats in, place another adjacent to allow progressive levering to remove the ring.

Please note it is not advisable to chrome this ring as the chroming process causes embrittlement of the spring steel.

Once this ring is removed the tyre can be easily removed.

NOTE.

It is important that this ring and its retaining groove is not corroded, bent or otherwise damaged in any way.

Re-assembly.

The tyre complete with tube and rust band should be installed on the wheel rim and the locking ring reseated in the groove starting at one end and feeding round progressively until seated fully.

NOTE.

I cannot emphasise this enough. 

It is important for safety that the locking ring is in good condition and seated securely.

I my day these wheels would only be inflated in a very strong wire cage as historically, catastrophic failure has caused many injuries and fatalities.

Many enthusiasts who own these very attractive wheels will inflate them under a vehicle or perhaps under the lowered leg of a hoist if you have one to prevent the ring causing injury in event that it lets go.

I would recommend an extended inflation hose and a lock on type connection to allow distance between the wheel and you however you MUST have a gauge at your end to ensure NO over inflation.

IMG_0252.jpeg.ce93d770bf720de0900f0e084585da5e.jpeg

Think it through.

Do it carefully.

Carry out a condition inspection.

Check the ring seating before inflation.

NOTE.

The ring if released or failing during inflation can kill you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Minibago said:

Think it through.

Do it carefully.

Carry out a condition inspection.

Check the ring seating before inflation.

NOTE.

The ring if released or failing during inflation can kill you.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, but I'll be honest, most of the "do it carefully or it will kill you" things I have found on the net are in regards to giant truck tires and massive pressure AG vehicle tires that use pressure rings. The tire I am inflating is going up to a whopping 30-35 psi. Not exactly the kind of pressures that will have the explosive effect some think it will. I will certainly be careful as you should when inflating any tire, but I'm not entirely sure it is quite the nuclear device that is being expressed here?

4 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Whopping 35 lbs. of pressure if exploded just right could take your face off.

Understood and I will of course be careful, but every single example of failure that resulted in injury that I could find was ALWAYS related to some massive truck tire or giant tractor rim being filled with many, many, many times more pressure. I have not yet found a single reference for someone with a 35psi classic car tire such as mine having such an event take place. You would think all of the cautionary statements and warnings I have gotten would have at least some documented evidence or examples out there. 

Maybe our old car owners are all very careful so no stories like that show up.

I have read here about home remedies like placing plywood over the wheel or a heavy blanket.

Personally, I have never worked with any of the split rings and have no desire to.

18 hours ago, Degeraths said:

Been searching on the net to no avail... How do you remove the tire/tube from a disk rim? 

IMG_2668.JPG

Am I missing something? I don't see a lock ring on the wheels. If that is the case, simply remove the tire and tube as you would from a bicycle wheel.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

One large problem with taking off the tire is the possibility of bending the lock ring.

After deflating the tire, press the tire away from the lock ring all the way around. Next free the ring from the rim all the way around. Rust and/or paint can "glue" the ring securely into the rim. If the ring is not free from the rim, when you try to pry up the ring out of the rim, the ring will bend at the area where it is stuck. If the ring is not stuck in the rim then the ring will flex ( spring action) all the way around over its length. This flexing allows the end of the ring to be pried over the rim without bending the ring. A bent ring is a terrible if not almost impossible thing to " straighten" ( that is make perfectly round). Most of the horror stories of rings coming off when inflating the tire can be traced back to a "bent ring". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Am I missing something? I don't see a lock ring on the wheels. If that is the case, simply remove the tire and tube as you would from a bicycle wheel.

I think from memory they were on the back. 
but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Degeraths said:

Understood and I will of course be careful, but every single example of failure that resulted in injury that I could find was ALWAYS related to some massive truck tire or giant tractor rim being filled with many, many, many times more pressure. I have not yet found a single reference for someone with a 35psi classic car tire such as mine having such an event take place. You would think all of the cautionary statements and warnings I have gotten would have at least some documented evidence or examples out there. 

Not all accidents are from “Massive” tyres at high pressures but most are because folk did not do the right thing.

Be careful.

Do it correctly.

No problem.

I have been witness to so many examples of failure to follow the correct procedure resulting in an “Accident”. 
So few get reported.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Degeraths said:

Thanks for the detailed instructions, but I'll be honest, most of the "do it carefully or it will kill you" things I have found on the net are in regards to giant truck tires and massive pressure AG vehicle tires that use pressure rings. The tire I am inflating is going up to a whopping 30-35 psi. Not exactly the kind of pressures that will have the explosive effect some think it will. I will certainly be careful as you should when inflating any tire, but I'm not entirely sure it is quite the nuclear device that is being expressed here?

The main reason for that is that huge truck and tractor tires are what locking ring rims have been used on primarily for the last 80 years or so. They can and will kill you instantly if mishandled. Nobody brings in Dodge Brothers much since the war, but there are still trucks and ag equipment all over.

The trouble with all the stories about "split rims" on the internet is that there are 3 different kinds, and people cross all three up in forum threads without realizing it. One type isn't dangerous at all. The second type, the one that is like carrying a bomb around splits right down the center to remove the tire. It was mainly used on trucks and pickups, and has not been used on any new vehicles in decades. That second type deserves the "nuclear" description. What you have is the third type, a locking ring. They are just as deadly, but only if mishandled. They are still used today. Not a bomb when assembled properly.

So do the right thing and inspect it for rust damage, clean up the ring and groove, and make damn sure the ring is seated properly. Then chain it up real good in several places with a bolted logging chain while you put the air in. Use big bolts and washers. Inflate it from a distance like @Minibago suggested. Either that or take it to someone who knows how. Any tire shop that deals with big trucks and buses probably has a cage and can handle it.

P.S. a lot of those big ag vehicle tires you were referring to run way less than 35 pounds. @JACK M wasn't kidding. Good luck.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Minibago said:

Sorry Matt, I am pretty sure that all locking rings are on the outside.

IMG_0255.jpeg.c448ce967ef479ffd9efccfabb29c564.jpeg

Ok!! I’ll admit I’m obviously confused 😂

Im sure when we were searching for wire wheels there was a set with the same centre as the victory, but the lock ring was on the inside. Let’s just stick with them being on the outside. 😂

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, Minibago said:
7 hours ago, jari12 said:

Must be one of those things are opposite "Down Under" things huh?

I think things are just back to front in my shed sometimes 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

I think things are just back to front in my shed sometimes 😂

That's weird, I always assumed Aussies had storage under their shed for some reason. Maybe you were looking in the wrong space?

In my best Aussie accent:

"ay nah it's in here somewhere's"...

Trash Can Falling GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 2