2 wheel car dolly, help.......

I have just obtained a 2 wheel car dolly, the kind that are usually pulled behind a motorhome. It was "free", but needs a little work. The spindle is "welded" to the frame, the triangle part on each side, and the hub, bearings, etc. are non-existant. Its so bad the wheel even fell off! Here goes, any one know where to get parts for these things, at a reasonable price, and has anyone ever worked on one that has the spindle welded to the "frame"? I intend to get new bearings etc for each side, and redo both sides, repaint, etc. Is it worth the trouble, or is this one beyond reapir? Thanks all in advance. <BR>Ernie<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://ez68vet.home.mindspring.com" TARGET=_blank>myhomepage&picturesofmycorvette</A>

I hope you intend to put it in your "museum" and not actually tow one of your antiques with it. Those things scare me to death!!! I know of one member here who used one ONCE to tow an antique car and a piece of trash on the highway nearly destroyed a rear fender. Another half inch and it would have punctured the gas tank on the antique. They are difficult to maneuver and I suspect there are no brakes. No, I don't have any personal experience - and I don't want any either! The price might be right but remember, you get what you pay for!<BR>Terry

Thanks for the replies. The Corvette would NEVER go on it. It was a free one, so I thought it may be nice to have around, just in case it would be needed. You know, just in case. I am sure it would be local only. A freind in Oberlin, Pa is going to store it, and most likely do the work, if it gets done now. Thanks again. I have heard more negitive on these than I care to hear too. They seem to be more problems than they are worth. Thanks again...Ernie smile.gif <P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://ez68vet.home.mindspring.com" TARGET=_blank>myhomepage&picturesofmycorvette</A>

Another solution would be to use the rear spindle from a 79 up front wheel drive Chrysler product. These use tapered roller bearings and a unboltable spindle shaft. The spindle is flat on the back with a 4 bolt circle. (~94 up LHS cars don't use this system.)<P>The best choice would be from a ~87 up Chrysler mini van. These have 5 lug wheels and good sized brakes. BTW, these 5 lug hubs can accept small pattern GM FWD wheels. Between the two 13", 14", and 15" wheels exist. A hydraulic surge brake coupler to operate the brakes would be a nice touch.<P>These spindles are great for making rough terrain torch carts and such. Mini spare wheels are a good size and cheap (usually free).<P>A tow dolly would be good for emergency use, but I would not tow over rough roads since they generally don't have a suspension. Strapping ~ 400 to the wheels and going over bumps would stress the suspension a bit too much for my comfort.<P>