Topic removed as "click bait"

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

I guess my thread re a young female wanting to restore cars has been removed as click bait. Great way to drive away potential members.

At least they didn't throw you in the penalty box like some sites.

On a serious note, it's ironic that your post that looked legitimate was removed so quickly, but some that are glaringly obvious scams like selling driver licenses, phones, etc. can remain up for days.

Would it make sense to contact the OP, especially if the person is a known member here and inquire about their post BEFORE removing it?

• Like 5

I thought it was a very pertinent thread. What could be more in the interest of restoration than directing a new person looking for a career into a field that will be rewarding and remunerative for them and serves all our interests?

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I guess my thread re a young female wanting to restore cars has been removed as click bait. Great way to drive away potential members.

It sounded like a worthwhile topic, pointing out a girl's

interest in the restoration profession.

DEMAND an explanation.  The moderators and other AACA

elected officials work for us.  We don't work for them.  They

are probably trying to do a good job in most cases--I give people

the benefit of the doubt.  But you are at least owed an explanation,

out of normal member-to-member consideration.  

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I'm really confused. What could have been said in the last 8 hours that took the whole thread off this website?

Wait, don't repeat it, or this one will die too!

What could a woman looking for employment in the old car hobby bring up politics? Religion? 

Did someone really add a clickbait link?

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thread titles are changed here all the time...the fact that this one wasn't and a worthy thread was deleted seems like a punishment rather than a moderation choice. What would have been a title the thread would be changed to? I can't think of anything that would be more descriptive.

I read the thread last night, and the topic title absolutely fits. You had hope for this woman's career. 

As I've learned repeatedly in life having hope for something rarely turns out, and life beats you down again and again. I'm at the point where I'm afraid to enjoy anything because it seems like the better a thing is that happens, something worse is going to happen to offset it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it the fact that I earned my living restoring cars that irritates the moderator?  Believe me I am not on here trolling for work. We have plenty of work. AACA has been a large part of my life for 50+ years both as a hobby and as a career.  My regret is that I can no longer function as a judge due to physical problems. If it is the policy of AACA that professional restorers should not post on this forum then fine, no problem.

• Like 3

I’m wondering why an attractive title (click bait) is a horrible thing? When you take the time to write something, most times you’d like it read. Giving an enticing title seems a good way to start.

I guess we should just put a number where the title goes and hope people will take the time to open and read #71562  !

• Like 3

To quote Dimone (Fast Times at Ridgemont High) 'What Happened?"

I spent a wonderful day at the Gettysburg meet and come back to the forum and theres Kaos, Well not really LOL.

I didnt see anything wrong with the thread in question, I too made a contribution maybe it was me. If so I apologize.  

No idea about how a moderator works on a forum but of the few forums I peruse the one thing I have noticed here is that it seems everyday a title gets changed. That part I do not understand?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Yes. I could have updated the title but you’d complain about that too.  
Simple solution…  create a topic title that describes the content of the post.  

I agree that the title was vague, but it should have

been appended to, "Maybe there is hope after all--

a girl's interest in the restoration business."

Youth in the hobby is a topic told many times over,

but members have a right to discuss it.  Peter, in all humility,

you need to admit that deleting the writings of members

on this subject was not a proper decision in this case.

The AACA board members have been busy with the

Spring Meet in Gettysburg, but they need to be made

aware of this.

• Like 4

I dont understand why so many titles are changed to begin with. Again, this is the ONLY forum (of the 3 or 4 I look at) that consistently changes title names. AND, it is usually after a half day or so AND after there are many views. Its not like someone cant find out what is going on by clicking the link. I have lost track of threads by having the name changed mid stream.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Certainly there are rules that need to be followed

in any forum, but they relate mostly to consideration

of others--being polite to fellow members, keeping

topics in the right categories, keeping on topic, and so on.

We can be polite to the moderators while strongly

objecting to wrong actions, too.  Kindness and firmness

in right are both required.  And this wrong action needs

to be corrected, and never occur again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On the whole it is a good thing that there are moderators willing to give their time to keeping these forums organized and civil. But in this case the mods may have made a mistake. Hey, it happens to everyone. The original post or thread was not aimed at selling anything or stirring up a disturbance. It was asking a legitimate question and I think it should have been left alone.

I get the feeling the mods should take a break or holiday now and then.  Come back fresh and relaxed with a broader view of things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only "click bait" feature of that original post was one moderators INTERPRETATION of the title. The briefest look at the content would have disclosed that it was relevant to the goals of the AACA and not some sort of idiotic "news story" written by someone who knows less than nothing about our subject...threads which are often tolerated and a genuine waste of time. I thought the title was fine. It conveyed exactly what the OP intended. If the content had been otherwise there was reason to delete it but it didn't.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the thread titled "Incomplete or clickbait topic titles - please stop"  was modified by a moderator. 

image.png.b8e319d985106628dd30a41ac998e893.png

When looking at my own profile, I have nothing else to add to this topic of discussion lest I find my way up a creek.... image.png.f77a61837d1fa9a9cbef8ee019d48a74.png

image.png.d353b602dfe06057bf355464aa12d778.png

Playing the devils advocate though, I'm guessing he's tired of spending time changing all the headings along with everything else he's dealing with. Or maybe he's just having a rough patch :) 

I never got to see the thread. What's wrong with starting it again and giving it a more complete title so the mods are happy and the topic continues?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I define "click bait" as a link to something that earns the writes of the message/link money. I see these all the time on the internet, and do not click on them. "2 things you should never buy at these stores" is an example. Or if a poster on here adds to a thread a link that has nothing to do with the thread. One popped up in a lock discussion recently.

Getting me to read a thread on here is not clickbait! It might me poor title choices, but not Clickbait! If titles are important, please use a proper word to describe the issue.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Happy now?

just write a proper topic title.  Why is that so hard!?   I hate going down rabbit holes. As do many many others!  

Now it's sexist and not gender neutral. Not so easy to write a post header that pleases everybody and fills all the squares, is it?......................Bob.........😁

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Damned if I do

damned if I don’t

Might be best to let the users decide on the natural flow and content of  the posts and comments, rather than imposing  a "You MUST follow my rules" dictat. A good leader (moderator) knows his audience. This is supposed to be enjoyable while being still being informative. No one enjoys a common scold.

Lighten up, already...............Bob.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 5/21/2023 at 10:58 AM, Bhigdog said:

Might be best to let the users decide on the natural flow and content of  the posts and comments, rather than imposing  a "You MUST follow my rules" dictat. A good leader (moderator) knows his audience. This is supposed to be enjoyable while being still being informative. No one enjoys a common scold.

Lighten up, already...............Bob.

Not "my rules". They are the AACA forum rules.  As moderator I have to interpret and enforce the rules. 

I do know the audience.  99.9% of the posts here are untouched, in the right forum, have proper titles, and serve their intended purpose.

But I have to do my job and moderator occasionally.   Delete spam. Delete posts that break the forum rules. etc. Move posts.  Deal with unruly users who drag in personal attacks or political statements.   And yes, stamping down clickbait.  It's dramatically more common that you think.  Just today alone I've dealt with a handful.  Why can't people see that "FOR SALE" isn't a valid topic title?  Or how about "need help"? Or "Maybe there is hope after all...".  Common sense, a topic title should be descriptive of the content.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/20/2023 at 12:24 PM, George Smolinski said:

On a serious note, it's ironic that your post that looked legitimate was removed so quickly, but some that are glaringly obvious scams like selling driver licenses, phones, etc. can remain up for days.

There are 150 forums an 500 posts and responses a day.  I and the other moderators need people to report problem posts as we can not read or scrutinize them all.  Reported posts are addressed as quickly as is practical. (typically in a half day or less)

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

It wasn't arbitrary.

And you completely missed the point.  No matter what I do, I get grief.  You are a PERFECT example.

That's your opinion, not everybody's and everybody does NOT agree with you. 

• Like 2