Starter Bendix Pinion gear separated from weight

Eclector

I have a 1929 135 with a starter issue. The weight that is normally attached to the pinion gear has partially come loose. It can create a binding on the shaft that inhibits the deployment of the gear. It looks like the weight splines were originally kept in place by peening the individual splines against the back of the pinion gear. Otherwise, the gear is in fine shape; I just need to reattach the weight to the gear. There don't seem to be any drawings or descriptions that would apply to this assembly detail. There is one peen point intact. I am worried that additional peening could damage the connection points. I'm wondering about cleaning the area with solvent and then applying JB weld to the mating surfaces of the gear and weight. Am I correct in assuming that the main forces on the weight are rotational? Any other ideas from the Franklin hive?

2023-05-14 17.59.44 copy.jpg

2023-05-14 18.00.03.jpg

2023-05-14 18.03.21 copy.jpg

Yes, the weights main forces are rotational. If it's cleaned very well the JB weld might work. Or you could just put together a completely new Bendix. See: Franklin Service Station issue #165, September 2020. Also, there is supposed to be a small spring and pin in the weight that helps keep it seated when not engaged.

Bill

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 5:26 AM, hook said:

Yes, the weights main forces are rotational. If it's cleaned very well the JB weld might work. Or you could just put together a completely new Bendix. See: Franklin Service Station issue #165, September 2020. Also, there is supposed to be a small spring and pin in the weight that helps keep it seated when not engaged.

Thanks, Bill. Using the Model T drive with the original Franklin spring would be a perfect solution, except for the fact that the Model T Bendix drives are out of stock everywhere right now. I'll probably pursue the repair option with spot mig welding. I can order the spring pin from Snyders or Lang's but wondering if I can get it into the assembly.