help needed- where to get custom ring and pinion made

All,

i am working on a vehicle of which only 9 were made. six still exist. We need a ring and pinion made for it.

Do any of you know of a company that does this sort of work for old cars? 

I would sure appreciate any leads.

The vehicle is not an antique car, but it is old. Its a british roadless truck. the axles were made by Kirkstall forge which was in business from 1080 until 2003 when they were absorbed and dissolved by DANA. 

Thanks 

Linus

Need photos and a description. Most rear ends use Timken bearings, and it would be nice to know if it’s hypoid or not. Off road vehicles with low production or prototypes could use almost any off the shelf gear set up. Is it 3/4 floating or full floating? You can make anything, and gear sets in hypoid for a one off set for a 1 ton style rear will run about 8-12 grand now. How long you wait for it is another question.

• Like 1

hi ed,

thanks for chiming in, your help is always appreciated.

this diff has what I would call a spiral bevel gear I think and it is a full float axle. the ring gear is pretty small considering that its for a truck. They used a sun gear at the outer end to reduce the ratio even further, so the ring gear is not as low as it might otherwise be. 

I would look very closely at the edge of the ring gear for any I.D. stampings or makers logo's. Kirkstall may have made the axle housings and reduction gear parts, but there is a good chance the center section was something off the shelf and used in other vehicles. It is much too complicated a part to be specially made just for a 6 unit production. Especially when so many center sections were already in mass production. Clean it totally and thoroughly and post a bunch more photo's. Who made the vehicle itself ? 

1 minute ago, 1912Staver said:

I would look very closely at the edge of the ring gear for any I.D. stampings or makers logo's. Kirkstall may have made the axle housings and reduction gear parts, but there is a good chance the center section was something off the shelf and used in other vehicles. It is much too complicated a part to be specially made just for a 6 unit production. Especially when so many center sections were already in mass production. Clean it totally and thoroughly and post a bunch more photo's. Who made the vehicle itself ? 

Unfortunately the gear is stamped KF. 

They actually made 20 sets of axles. 9 were scrapped, nine trucks were made, we know that one spare set exists (but we cant have them)  and perhaps there is another set somewhere. 

We know that the carrier was used in forklifts and tractors, but the ratio was different. 

L

That sure looks like a hypoid ring gear to me. If so, Phil Bray’s old company can make it…….not sure what the name is now. Figure 6-8k for the ring and pinion. 

• Thanks 1

How much different are the other ratio's. Sounds like 4 WD and 2 ring and pinions that have to match each other. Can you come up with a pair that are close and change both the front and rear ring and pinion ? I assume this is more of a collectors vehicle than something that is still used for its intended purpose. 

British roadless truck.

What is the vehicle?  Guy?

They may have bought in or made in house

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkstall_Forge

During the First World War, forging was stopped, allowing the business to concentrate on axle production. During the Second World War, production expanded to meet the demand for military vehicles, and the site was camouflaged to reduce the risk of bombing raids.[citation needed] During World War II, many bombing raids were carried out along the Aire Valley.

In 1964, Kirkstall Forge bought the Regent Axle company based in Burnley to expand its gear machining capabilities. In 1974, Kirkstall Forge Engineering was bought by GKN.[3]

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)