Lengths of the new and old starter armatures?

John_Mc

Hi all, anyone have the lengths of the old shorter (Ford) and the longer 47-48 Lincoln starter armatures?  I believe the old unit is 1/4" shorter than the 47-48 units.

Thanks in advance.

John Mc,

I don't have a spare  armature separate from a starter to compare ,but  I have a complete starter from my '46 Ford. By checking the " Lincoln Chassis parts Manual" '36-'48. They show the original  part #   for the starter as 18- 11002-'36-'47.  Big change sometime in'47. The new # was 5EH-11002 '47-'48. The older armature is #  18-11005, the new starter is 5EH-11002. That pre fix  18 is the prefix for 1932 Ford !  .I think the big change was in the starter drives -- Often called "The Bendix".  All of this can be found in the parts book 

pgs.-  178-181.  

I'am sorry I don't have the parts I can lay out and take photos of.   BUT!  When I was going over my newly purchased (2010)

48 LC w/ HV12  I noticed the end of the "snout" on the pan  where the starter was mounted  , was cut off about 3/8" to allow the 

newer  drive to fit. I also noticed this on my '46 Ford the same thing was done. I repaired both with a section of a standard plain pro-

pane bottle soldered on /finished/ painted. Any more questions "E" me at  larry1938zephyr@gmail.com  or call me 1-410-756-5310

• 4 weeks later...

John:

I have the 48 model armature that is about 1/2 inch longer, unfortunately, we also needed a new one.  I found a rebuild shop that had an armature on the shelf that worked for a little while.  Must be some other vehicle that used the longer armature, but I couldn't find which.  The flywheels are also different, and supposedly more flexible than the Ford or earlier Lincoln.  I found a Powermaster gear driven replacement at Summit Racing that works if you shim the starter enough, about 3/32 to clear the gear.  Its also shorter overall, and you don't need the flaky bracket to the pan bolt.  However, the starter needs 12 volts.  One idea I didn't investigate was to find a truck 11 inch flywheel and clutch.  Then I think you could use the stock truck starter. Need to check if the crank end holes are the same.

Abe