Floyd Clymer Memorabilia

190bear

Floyd Clymer grew up in the small town of Berthoud, CO. The local historical society is building a permenent display in the museum. We are looking for anything Clymer related. Pictures, articles, stories, whatever. Even donations of cars or motorcycles with Clymer history would be appreciated of course. Contact   marksfrench2003@yahoo.com

As a kid in the 1960's he was the one that published most of the true Antique Auto and INDY 500 related books. Funny to read some of the photo captions in his old books knowing the cars are now worth hundreds of thousand dollars. I was a lot of fun back then. 

• Like 2

WOW, Floyd Clymer, what a "blast from the past". I had or might have, several of his books. Back in the '60s when I started my car hobby, he was the go to guy for car books. Let me dig thru my junk and see what I have. I'm sure the historical society has his books, but if I have them they would be welcome to them.

5 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

I know where his V-12 Pierce Arrow sedan resides.  

It’s certainly a static display only!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never did buy even half of the Floyd Clymer books I wanted. However, I treasure every one of them I do have!

The hobby owes a debt of gratitude to Floyd Clymer. Literally as a child he became an automotive pioneer. One of the youngest automobile salesmen ever, later as an inventor and entrepreneur in automotive accessories, he made a small fortune. Then he became a writer and major publisher of his own works as well as the works of other writers!

With a passion for the industry that had launched his successes, he was an early member of several of the major antique automobile clubs we value so much to this day and beyond! I couldn't quickly find "Past Presidents" lists for most of the clubs, however I did find one for the HCCA and he was the club president for one year during the 1950s.

While some of his books do contain factual errors? His books as much as anyone else's were iconic for inspiring people with an interest to pursue antique automobiles! Several of his books are ones I still turn to first when looking for something I read many years ago. His collections and writings are among the several that truly form the foundation of early automobile research available today!

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I started out buying parts in the 1960's since buying a whole car was too costly starting out. Still buying parts. This was and still is my favorite photo caption in the Floyd Clymer book Buy an Antique Car. Wonder what this Model S Ford would sell for today? 

DSCF7871.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 11:08 AM, 1937hd45 said:

I started out buying parts in the 1960's since buying a whole car was too costly starting out. Still buying parts. This was and still is my favorite photo caption in the Floyd Clymer book Buy an Antique Car. Wonder what this Model S Ford would sell for today? 

DSCF7871.JPG

I wonder if that car ultimately did get restored!!

Craig