dash brake light is on.

seasand77

1971 Delta 88 Royalle. The "brake" light on the dash just came on. I cycled the emergency brake, and released it several times, and it seems to work fine. The car moves easily indicating full release of the brake, but the light stays on. There is plenty of fluid but the main pedal seems mushy and hisses when pushed quickly. Even so, the car stops normally. I replaced the differential recently which required dismantling of, and reassembly of, the brakes. Does this light come on for any other reason than to alert the driver that the emergency is still on?

Yes, it tells you when there is air in the system. That would indicate there is air in your brake system probably in the rear wheel lines. Your car has a dual master cylinder which means the front brake plumbing and rear wheel brake plumbing are separate from one another. This allows a leak in one without effecting the other. Based on the spongey brake pedal feel,you probably got some air in the system when you changed the rear axel. Bleed the brake system to get all air bubbles out. Air is compressible, fluid is not. Probably should have all new fluid added in case any moisture got in there too.

Well, as it turns out, The master cylinder was shot. I've been told that one chamber of the dual master cylinder controls both left side brakes and the other controls the both right side brakes, rather than seperate front and rear as stated in your message. Which is correct? Thanks

Sgt Art,I can see from previous post that you knew that,but seesand77 got info from somewhere???!!! that it is split left/right!just imagine the brake pull you would get if one sytem fails,you would end up in a ditch or ...opposite traffic lane...ouch!

Yep. I work as an accountant specializing in car dealerships and have been doing it for over 15 years, prior to that I worked for Hertz (see a pattern there?). I like hanging out in the service department and talking with the techs. I've picked up a lot of knowledge from those guys. One thing I have seen is there is almost as much (maybe even more) bravo sierra in the field of cars as there is in firearms and both can get you "kilt-off" in a hurry. I think it's referred to as the bogusity factor. Thanks for the info.