What issue did you find awakening the car for spring?

3macboys

A few of the other threads made me think that we need one dedicated to the little or in same cases big issues that we have found as the cars are brought back out.  For me it was two different throttle return springs broken - on on the 64 Dodge truck and another one on the 66 Coronet.  Ironically both have the same 318 poly engine.  No harm no foul for the 66 as the spring was doubled up and I found the broken one sitting on the intake.  The 64 only had the one spring and it immediately hit high RPM and just hit the key to turn it off.  Needless to say that spring will be doubled up from now on!  Package of assorted springs at the parts store just under $9 including tax.  I considered it a good start to the season.  All the old cars fired right up, my parents 2013 Challenger on the other hand had to be put on the battery charger.  

What issues have you had this spring?

No issues. I have an electric fuel pump on my collector cars for priming to save grinding the starter. That said i,m still catching mice in the garage. Usually a fall cold weather thing. I hates those meecies to pieces. ....bob

• Like 1

My Pontiac has a major issue with a broken piston, as I've documented in my Restoration thread. I also had to replace the cutout on my '26 Model T which thankfully was super easy and inexpensive. 

I haven't gotten the '39 Packard out of winter storage yet so I can't say if there's anything else to worry about yet. 

Vapor locked..... procrastinating adding a pusher pump since we got the 53 pontiac back on the road 3 years ago.... Well, it happened... had to let car sit locally till after work... Cold engine, fired right up... drove directly home.... pump ordered and recieved..... today's project.....

Looking back, car was indicating delayed starts after hot..... probably fuel pump/vacuum pump rebuild also.... 

Listen to you cars.. they will warn you of potential problems before they let you stranded.... !!! 

Battery in '59 Chevy. Sounded a little weak last year and a few slow cranks this year then nothing after hooking it up.

The purchased date etched on the battery is 5/16/04. I don't know what could be wrong with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Success.. 6 volt pusher/primer pump installed.... on/off switch on dash.. 

Mechanical pump needs worked on. Here's what I saw originally. Glass bowl gets air in it.. not much, just enough that you can see it pulsating with mechanical pump... at idle car will eventually stall out... so carb is going dry... Also some oil seeping on pump.. not sure where that's coming from...

Car will stay running on highway without pump on, but upon stopping for extended period at idle, car stalls.. air seen in glass bowl.... turn on pump, air dissapeared....so if you see this.. be warned!!!.. you are on borrowed time.....

I took the ‘48 Chrysler for a long drive with no issues, then stopped and added (ethanol free) fuel at a gas station.  A mile later it died on the side of the road, and I could not get it to re-start.  Turns out that adding fuel churned up enough crud in the tank to block the inline fuel filter.  I ended up replacing the tank with a repro, which fit fairly well, though I had to shorten the straps just a little.  This is an issue that has probably been in the making since long before I owned the car.  Glad to have fixed it.

• Like 2

Glad to hear that for the most part it has been minor, simple fixes.  Funny how repairing those things make you appreciate the car a bit more and gives you immediate satisfaction in a job well down.  @31nash880 and @zdillinger, I sure hope that the damage doesn't go beyond what you have already found and that you both can get them back together before too awfully long.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had all kinds of little things. 

Fuel pump in the old Ford truck failed in the driveway

Solenoid died in the lawn tractor

Weak spark plug in the motorcycle

Broken spring in the grass seed spreader

Head fell off the garden hoe, this one I haven't fixed yet

• Like 1

Lactrodectus Mactans evidently moved in over the winter. My in laws had an older Explorer that they stored here for a few years, I’m thinking they came from that Ford since I found one on the spare when they sold it over the winter. I’ve found a couple more in the area at night so time for a deep spraying. Been here since 94 but never seen any till this year.

Damn Fords …. ;) 

8 hours ago, keiser31 said:

About 6 years old. So....no real surprise that it is bad.

If a car is going to sleep more than a couple of years, I would put AvGas in it so after 6 or 7 years you don't have that problem. I hate the smell of soured gas. 🤮

• Like 1

Charged and installed the battery. Pumped up tires and lowered my '36 Packard of the winter jack stands.

Had to prime it to get it fired up, but no big deal.

Then when getting ready for a short test drive, shut the driver's door and the latch jammed shut. Jiggling and shaking got it open again and somehow something moved enough to touch the edge of the driver's window creating a chip. Which quickly progressed to a crack.

Had to remove the door panel an strip out the door completely. Found the retaining rivet that holds the sliding latch wore out and came loose allowing the latch to twist and jam up. Fortunately I could get the door open again so that I didn't have to try to work around the original upholstrey panel from the inside. It still has most of its original interior and every time I open a door a bit more wear and tear goes on the old panels.

Made a new rivet on the lathe and installed it. Had to get a new window cut. And also order a package of piano wire to make a new spring that holds the handle from sagging.

And while in there, replaced the worn out vent window drive gear with a new one purchased at Hershey a few years ago and put into the spares box.

So spring recommissioning ended up needing an two afternoons, an evening and some running around town to fix issues that had been building up for a while.

But it back up ready for the next test drive when it warms up again.

• Like 1

Well got my notices from my lovely state of Nazichusetts that my 31 chevy and 32 olds inspection stickers were past due and now they make you file that they are seasonal vehicles and are off the road, which I did. Yesterday I went to the garage to get them out and go for stickers. The Stromberg in the olds evaporates the bowl dry pretty easily so a series of pumps on the gas pedal while turning it over and it started right up. Pushing the gas pedal to the floor automatically sets the automatic choke and the throttle linkage to high idle so there’s nothing else to do other than pushing the starter pedal.

The 31 chevy still needs the choke pulled, high idle set with the knob, and the timing retarded with the knob on the dash. Hit the starter pedal and it fired right off after about 5-7 seconds. Pushed the choke and spark knobs in and it settled right in to a nice high idle. So getting both cars up and running was about as easy as it gets. 
      Hopped into the olds and drove to the inspection station. The guy walks out and tells me his machine is down and I can’t get a sticker! So I decided to go for a roundabout drive home. Stopped at a stop sign and across from me was a State Trooper in his vehicle. Turned right and he turned left, put on his lights and pulled me over. Came up to me and said “nice car “ and that he pulled me over because he noticed my sticker but really wanted to look at my car. I told him about the inspection machine being down and that I had just tried to get a sticker. He said it didn’t surprise that the machine was down and that he knows how our state works seeing since he works for them. We both had a laugh and I drove back to the garage to attempt my stickers on another day!

• Like 3

Knew that the a/c was in need of fixing on my '91 Reatta when I put it in storage last Fall.  Took it out of storage in April (which is the SAME MONTH that the MA annual safety inspection is due each year for this car...I just call it due diligence a.k.a. paying attention) and found out that the a/c condenser was toast.  Had it replaced and a/c recharged...all is well now.  I lean to the right, but I do enjoy living in MA.