Is this an early horseless carriage storage trunk?

Adam FO6

I'm speculating about this all wood storage trunk, but my best guess so far is that it was an accessory for an early horseless carriage. It has, as I can best describe it a wood "flange" at it's base that measures exactly 19.5" x 33.5" and there are also two oak "rails" attached to the underside as if it would possibly be seated into a box like frame. The 18" long rails have heavy gauge steel strips screwed to the outside edges, and there also is a single 2" notch in each rail. My guess is that pivoting fasteners or hasps secured it to whatever frame it was sitting in (there is some semicircular wear inside the notches to suggest this). And there are also two small leather squares nailed to the ends of the rails closest to the front side which I can only guess is to dampen vibrations. The outside width of the rails including the steel strips is 30 7/8" wide. There are a lot of pictures of horseless carriages online but I'm finding it difficult to see and understand if these early automobiles actually had a tiny "truck bed" that this box might have seated into. The trunk measures exactly 10" high from table top to the top of the lid including the 3/4" high "rails". I don't see any maker's marks on any of the locks or hinges. The original black paint on the top of the lid was almost certainly removed a long time ago and the white dots are filler where the screws are. The trunk appears to be likely "manufactured" rather than hand crafted, and again I'm guessing, but my gut says that it was made into the era of the horseless carriages rather than the time of earlier horse driven carriages. Any help would be great! This is my first post here so please forgive me if I missed anything.

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

The runners on the bottom and the mentioned slots in them, suggests this box was meant to be a portable/removable piece, although like many "trunks", once in place might be left there forever. General construction quality is very good and details suggest late 1800's to early 1900's to me. With no lifting handles, this suggests was not meant to carry anything very heavy, perhaps just travelling stuff. The dimensions at 33x19 do suggest an early TRUNK, for buggy or horseless carriage, and it may not be possible to pin down beyond that.

• Like 1

Hi Adam FO6, I'd like to suggest asking these 2 online experts that I've have come to find very informative and knowledgeable of their subject matter on Youtube.

1.) Engels Coach Shop, Blacksmith, Carriage Restorations

2.) Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration

Each of these gentlemen have shown themselves to not shy away from the unknown.

Best Wishes to you in your quest for answers, Tom

Hi Adam

I think that there is a good chance that its an early aftermarket trunk for an early car like a curved dash Oldsmobile. The CDO from 1901 to 1904/5 had a flat removable panel on the top of the back of the body. And some of them were attached and held in place by only two levers, one per side, that swing into a slot in a runner on the bottom of the board. Very similar to what you have.

I know someone with a 1903 CDO and he made a similar accessory removable panel with a dos a dos seat for extra passengers. Changing the original panel to the accessory one takes about 30 seconds. The CDO was an neat early single cylinder two passenger horseless carriage that was very popular in its day. And with no storage capacity on the original body, many made aftermarket storage boxes of this style for carrying tools and luggage. Yours appears well made and and could be something like that.

If you were to take some detailed measurements of the width and length and the position of the slots in the guide bars, someone may be able to check the size against a CDO panel or other similar early car body with a removable rear panel.

The picture is of a different 1904 CDO, not my friend's car. But it may help illustrate what to look for.

Drive Safe

Jeff

1904 CDO.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1