1928 Chrysler 72 Headlamps

I have a 1928 Chrysler series 72 convertible coupe

I have a question on headlamp fitments for this specific year car

after looking at various pictures of the general 72 models

there seems to be three types of headlamps

{drum type}

{bullet type}post-37352-143138056369_thumb.jpg.6b40add9824970c89171a89ca0b83878.jpg

{dome type} which are fitted to my car which ones are correct for my specific model

did Chrysler change lights mid build on such a short production run 

I would have thought this unlikely but from what I have learned so far anything is possible with Chrysler

o3mzhtMf2ADNAyWbPRyVmOnWto5fNSEVhBWi7P3w.jpg

While the George H Dammann book shows several pictures of 1928 Chrysler Model 72's with drum style lights and one with perhaps dome style, the attached page from the pre 1934 Chrysler Master Parts List may help you understand what was occurring at the time. The model is referred to as a "J" in the index, and as seen here, the car came fitted with a range of headlamps, with changes being made mid production, and for some specific models, such as the Convertible Coupe you have. It is also interesting to note reference to Canadian production. As you and others may be aware, it was not unusual for the Big 3 American manufacturers when the upgraded/updated styling changes were made, to send unused in-house parts inventory from previous year's models to Canada or Europe for assembly into models being built there. This was common practice for cosmetic stuff like headlamps, door handles, and other trim items that did not affect much of anything else. 

Using the parts numbers shown on this sheet, you may be able to discern just what you have and what your car may have originally used. You will also note a similar pattern of multiple headlamp options applied to other year/models. 

Headlights Chrysler Model 72 1927-1928.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

While the George H Dammann book shows several pictures of 1928 Chrysler Model 72's with drum style lights and one with perhaps dome style, the attached page from the pre 1934 Chrysler Master Parts List may help you understand what was occurring at the time. The model is referred to as a "J" in the index, and as seen here, the car came fitted with a range of headlamps, with changes being made mid production, and for some specific models, such as the Convertible Coupe you have. It is also interesting to note reference to Canadian production. As you and others may be aware, it was not unusual for the Big 3 American manufacturers when the upgraded/updated styling changes were made, to send unused in-house parts inventory from previous year's models to Canada or Europe for assembly into models being built there. This was common practice for cosmetic stuff like headlamps, door handles, and other trim items that did not affect much of anything else. 

Using the parts numbers shown on this sheet, you may be able to discern just what you have and what your car may have originally used. You will also note a similar pattern of multiple headlamp options applied to other year/models. 

Headlights Chrysler Model 72 1927-1928.jpeg

HI  Gunsmoke

thank you very much for this very interesting information

I am always wanting to learn as much as possible about my car

I have gained a wealth of information from this website

and hope to learn more. your help now and previously is most welcome

• Like 1

Now ,gentlemen , I l'll  give you something for you to blow a gasket over and  tell me I am full of poo.

Over the years I have Brought home 3, 1929 Chryslers with a letter on either end of the serial numbers.Guess what they were!

J..........R.  But that's not the good part! Nope, all 3 had band breaks, not the internal but outer band. Yep. Fire away at me, but the proof is in the pudding. I have other nasal things Pcy did too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1