1931 lasalle carburetor

31 LaSalle

I have had similar problem with the '31 Cadillac Johnson carburetor.  I replaced the original cork float with a new plastic float which didn't really stop the leak, plus it tends to stick closed unless I tap on the carb body.  My problem is with the float valve hanging up.  This valve is rather delicate, and you have to get the little brass clip bent just right in order for it work correctly.  I have a couple spare V8 Cadillac Johnson carburetors if you need them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1wonton said:

I have had similar problem with the '31 Cadillac Johnson carburetor.  I replaced the original cork float with a new plastic float which didn't really stop the leak, plus it tends to stick closed unless I tap on the carb body.  My problem is with the float valve hanging up.  This valve is rather delicate, and you have to get the little brass clip bent just right in order for it work correctly.  I have a couple spare V8 Cadillac Johnson carburetors if you need them.

HI 1wanton . thanks for your input to my problem carburetor 

I have managed to get a carb rebuild kit from america (plastic float)

Thanks for the offer of spare carb but thankfully a spare one came with the car

I have seen posts on various web sites as to the difficulty setting up the float on this carb

Due to commitments with my other cars it might be some time before i get round to this task

It sounds like it will be a lot of trial and error with brass hinge

thank you

Check your fuel pressure, it should be less than three pounds, if your running an electric pump, most likely it’s you problem. They can be difficult to get set up correctly, and be aware almost ALL parts sold for them are poorly done and fit like sxxt. They often hang up on the bowl if the shape isn’t perfectly correct. Modified needle and seat can also cause problems and most needles and seats are vastly incorrect. Post photos of the carb apart with close ups of the parts, and I will comment on them. Ed

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 12:02 PM, edinmass said:

Check your fuel pressure, it should be less than three pounds, if your running an electric pump, most likely it’s you problem. They can be difficult to get set up correctly, and be aware almost ALL parts sold for them are poorly done and fit like sxxt. They often hang up on the bowl if the shape isn’t perfectly correct. Modified needle and seat can also cause problems and most needles and seats are vastly incorrect. Post photos of the carb apart with close ups of the parts, and I will comment on them. Ed

always a problem when buying repro parts hope im lucky and they fit ok

I am running on original vacuum tank dont like electric pumps I usually find they cause more problems than they solve

It’s not about the fit, it’s about function. Most of what is being sold for that cars car are NOT correct. 

• Like 1